flgreen

Day 2: Three things we learned

May, 11, 2013
May 11
6:51
PM ET
By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
  •  
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- A few takeaways from the second day of rookie minicamp (the final day open to the media):

1. The daily Geno: QB Geno Smith declined to grade his Day 2 performance, but I'll give him a 'D' -- as in, decisive. Unlike Friday, when he double-clutched a couple of times and appeared tentative with his reads, the former West Virginia star demonstrated better command of his plays. That's what you want to see from a rookie -- daily improvement. Many of his completions Saturday came on screen passes, so there really wasn't much need for him to stand in the pocket and read the defense. Nevertheless, it was a positive step. It'll be interesting to see how he responds in OTA practices, when the veterans are in town and Rex Ryan dials up his exotic blitzes.

2. Big men on the move: One of the offseason goals was to increase the athleticism at guard. Ryan believes they accomplished that by drafting Brian Winters (third round) and Will Campbell (sixth). New coordinator Marty Mornhinweg likes to use perimeter runs, and it helps to have guards that can pull and block in space. In Saturday's positional drills, the offensive linemen focused on pulling. Ryan liked what he saw, especially from Campbell, a former college defensive lineman with intriguing athletic ability. He also wears No. 65, Brandon Moore's old number. Said Ryan: "Hopefully, he can have half the success Brandon Moore had at that position."

3. Land of opportunity: It has been hard in recent years for undrafted free agents to make the opening-day roster. In fact, only one rookie did it last year -- DT Damon Harrison. That should change this year. The Jets, under new management, are a team in transition, stressing competition at every position. Ryan agreed with the premise that more UDFAs could stick than in past years. It's early, but here are some contenders: LB Troy Davis (Central Florida), C Dalton Freeman (Clemson), S Rontez Miles (California, Pa.) and WR Zach Rogers (Tennessee

Yeah! been hearing about Rogers  alot is he that good?

He's most likely not a guy who goes to the Pro Bowl.  Doesn't have the measurables.   He makes your  outside stars shine.

Great hands, makes catches during big collisions.   Could be a very valuable role player  

Mayock also showed damn near every INT from Geno on draft night when the Jets took him in the 2nd. Mayock is a tool. With that said, I think Rogers has a very good chance. 

Which is funny, because there was only six of them in the 600 times he threw the ball, he supplemented that time by showing all the over and underthrows of touchdowns he felt Geno should have had.  Never once in my years watching the draft have I see someone on draft day show all his negative plays; did the same exact thing for Dee Milliner too.  I was pretty shocked they did that to be honest.

Which is funny, because there was only six of them in the 600 times he threw the ball, he supplemented that time by showing all the over and underthrows of touchdowns he felt Geno should have had.  Never once in my years watching the draft have I see someone on draft day show all his negative plays; did the same exact thing for Dee Milliner too.  I was pretty shocked they did that to be honest.

I have to say that I was a bit shocked by that one as well. Dude threw over 500 passes, threw 42 TD's and only 6 INTs and completed 70% of those 500+ passes and they take the time out to show INT's and overthrows and present him to the NFL with such a negative undertone??? Im telling you, any other of the 31 teams could have drafted this kid and you wouldnt have seen that. They did that to create controversy and a story that isnt even there. Funny how the Jets are considered a "circus" but it was the NFL network that was jumping through hoops to stir up some issue involving the Jets. Mayock has lost respect from me for that antic he pulled.

Yeah! been hearing about Rogers  alot is he that good?

Hey, rook, here's Tebow's number

May, 12, 2013

May 12

11:43

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

When former Tennessee wide receiver Zach Rogers reported to the Jets' rookie minicamp, he was assigned one of the most popular numbers in the NFL -- 15. It took him, oh, about a nanosecond to make the connection.

Tim Tebow's number.

Zach RogersBrad Penner/USA TODAY SportsZach Rogers is the new No. 15.

"Yeah, I remember him wearing it," Rogers said, alluding to Tebow's ill-fated season with the Jets.

Funny part is, Rogers got a chance to meet Tebow during the offseason. He actually caught passes from him one weekend in Nashville, where Tebow, on one of his many workout stops across America, trained with a quarterback coach.

"He threw to us," Rogers said. "He's a great guy. I wish him the best."

You might say Rogers is a Tiny Tim. After 6-foot, 172 pounds, he's 78 pounds lighter than Tebow's 2012 playing weight.

"He's a big dude," Rogers said, "but I'm going to try to fill [the uniform] as best as I can."

Rogers, an undrafted free agent, received a first-day shout out from Rex Ryan, who lauded his ability as a slot receiver. He caught a lot of balls over the first two days of the rookie camp, doing what slot receivers do -- finding ways to get open over the middle.

Rogers was a fine receiver at Tennessee, making 32 receptions for 491 yards and seven touchdowns last season. Those numbers don't jump off the page, but you have to consider he was part of a receiving corps that include Cordarrelle Patterson (first-round pick, Vikings) and Justin Hunter (second round, Titans). Obviously, he was overshadowed -- and didn't mind.

"I like flying under the radar," he said. "That's been my motto since coming out of high school. I'll stick with that."

Mayock also showed damn near every INT from Geno on draft night when the Jets took him in the 2nd. Mayock is a tool. With that said, I think Rogers has a very good chance. 

Actually what he showed was that in spite of his high completion %, and fairly strong arm,  Smith is very inaccurate with the long ball. 

He showed  a lot of deep balls to, mostly a wide open Austin, that were kind of, HUH?

A few of them were pics

Archived