The steak thread

JerryK

I'm looking for some suggestions.

I just sprinkle seasoning and leave them pink -- 70% of the time they're tender.

Should I 'tenderize'?  If so, do you use chemicals or beat them with the little hammer thing?

Cuts -  NY Strips are a little less $ than ribeye and leaner. Does porterhouse=Ribeye=Delmonico?  What's a top sirloin?  I've also had decent luck with 'top round' and 'bottom round' steaks, whatever they are.

the only thing i every put on my steak is kosher salt and cracked black pepper. 

IMO, you shouldn't need to tenderize a good cut of meat. 

This.

Though... Sometimes (when we are up in Maine) I'll cut a lobster in half, grill it, then pull the meat out and put it over my steak with melted, churned butter. 

I like the T-Bone, as you get the best of both worlds.  Whether in a professional kitchen or at home, I only ever season with Diamond Crystal kosher salt and coarsely ground black pepper.  Once in a while, I'll add finely minced (to the point of looking like pepper) rosemary to the seasoning mix. 

As for cooking, I like to sear well on both sides on the grill, then finish off heat to the desired degree of doneness.  Nearly the same result may be achieved by searing in a skillet, then finishing in a 300 degree oven.

If you don't already own one, invest in a good instant read thermometer.  I have been using Delta Trak for decades.  It's cost effective, reliable, light weight, and allows for full immersion for proper sanitizing.

Prime cuts should not need tenderizing.

If you are using a charcoal BBQ, try Montreal seasoning. Apply liberally because 75% will come off as you cook. Let the steak get to room temp before putting on the BBQ.

Exactly right.  When cold, the muscle will clench hitting the hot grill or pan, making it tougher.

Archived