Cimini: Aussie TE Rates Football

flgreen

Take 5: Ex-rugby star rates football

July, 3, 2013

Jul 3

11:31

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Continuing our "Take 5" series, TE Hayden Smith, a native Australian who became an international rugby star in England before deciding to play for the Jets, provides five reasons why he loves the NFL. It's an interesting take from a man who never put on a football helmet until last year:

1. Preparation: "The amount of time and preparation that goes into football makes every little success that much sweeter. If you make a big play in football, there's no adrenaline rush like it."

2. Action: "The speed of the game. Once the ball is snapped, it's just incredibly quick. It's lightning fast, so that's exciting."

3. Team size: "It's a much bigger group of guys. It's a different dynamic, much more culturally diverse. [in rugby], there would be a squad of about 30 to 35."

4. Facilities: "Everything is obviously on a bigger stage. The facilities are second to none. My favorite part [of the Jets' facility] is the tubs, especially after a tough practice. That's a nice, little perk."

5. New York: "Being able to live in a city like New York is a great experience, the cultural side of it. It's an amazing place."

This is no different than those player spotlight pieces they do during pre-season games. Pointless filler during a boring period of time.

It's a slow time of year football-wise, and Cimini needed to put something out there to show his employer that he's hard at work. At the very least he didn't just fabricate a story the way he and Mehta normally do.

Take 5: Ex-rugby star rates football

July, 3, 2013

Jul 3

11:31

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Continuing our "Take 5" series, TE Hayden Smith, a native Australian who became an international rugby star in England before deciding to play for the Jets, provides five reasons why he loves the NFL. It's an interesting take from a man who never put on a football helmet until last year:

1. Preparation: "The amount of time and preparation that goes into football makes every little success that much sweeter. If you make a big play in football, there's no adrenaline rush like it."

2. Action: "The speed of the game. Once the ball is snapped, it's just incredibly quick. It's lightning fast, so that's exciting."

3. Team size: "It's a much bigger group of guys. It's a different dynamic, much more culturally diverse. [in rugby], there would be a squad of about 30 to 35."

4. Facilities: "Everything is obviously on a bigger stage. The facilities are second to none. My favorite part [of the Jets' facility] is the tubs, especially after a tough practice. That's a nice, little perk."

5. New York: "Being able to live in a city like New York is a great experience, the cultural side of it. It's an amazing place."

Allow me to translate the first two:

1. If you make a big play in football, there's no adrenaline rush like it.

Translated:  Big plays don't happen very often in American Football. Rugby is much more action packed. I'm here for the money.

2. The speed of the game. Once the ball is snapped, it's just incredibly quick.

Translated:  You can lapse into a coma waiting for the ball to be snapped. Rugby is non-stop action. I'm here for the money.

That article is so short, Cimini could have tweeted it.  Although it is better off that he didn't.  I am sure he would have just tweeted an insult towards a female coworker instead.

Archived