Sanchez: "I think I earned the right to start" against Detroit

Jetsfan80

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/sanchez-earned-start-geno-article-1.1420453

Mark Sanchez says he’s ‘earned the right’ to start over Geno Smith for NY Jets against Lions

With neither quarterback separating much from the other in training camp, all eyes will turn toward the preseason games, beginning with Friday in Detroit.

By Seth Walder / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Published: Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 4:53 PM Updated: Thursday, August 8, 2013, 9:33 AM

jets-camp.jpg

CORTLAND — With neither quarterback distinguishing himself in camp, great emphasis will be placed on preseason games as Mark Sanchez starts the opener on Friday in Detroit.

“I think I earned the right to start this first game, and we’ll see how it goes from there,” Sanchez said. “I’ve got to keep playing well to stay on the field and that’s the plan.”

Sanchez already has his eyes cast far beyond the first preseason game. He told the Los Angeles Times on Tuesday, “Once we get in the playoffs this year we’ll make a little run.”

Asked about his comments, Sanchez said, “I mean, you have to have that mentality that this team is built to last, that we’re built to make a strong run and get hot at the right time, to sustain some injuries and then move on from it and get guys healthy as soon as possible,” Sanchez said. “I feel like we have the talent to make that happen, and now it’s about realizing that talent on the field and going out and playing well.”

Jets fans showed they weren’t ready to forget Sanchez’s many errors in 2012 when they booed him at an intrasquad scrimmage on Saturday. Rex Ryan, however, believes in giving his veteran quarterback a clean slate.

Some believe the Jets’ QB competition will rest on the performance of Geno Smith in preseason games, but Ryan stated he will will stick to the here and now when evaluating Sanchez.

jets-camp.jpg

“I think you’re in a different system. We’ll see how he is in this system, how things work out in this system. I am in there with an open mind,” Ryan said. “Sure, I know what’s happened in the past. But if you really are focused on the past, am I supposed to go back one season? Or how far am I supposed to go back? To me I’d rather focus on the present and what’s in front of us to do evaluating.”

That has to be music to Sanchez’s ears. After throwing 18 interceptions last season to go along with just 13 touchdown passes, the fifth-year quarterback needs Ryan’s memory to be selective — or an extremely short one — and relegated to his first two seasons when he reached the AFC Championship Game.

“I know all about the turnovers. I know the goods and the bads,” Ryan said of Sanchez. “There’s been great moments, there’s been bad moments. We’ll start right now. Somebody’s got to take the first snap, and to me, it is going to be a fair competition, a fair and open competition. But we’re not going to put both quarterbacks out there. So you have to put one out there and really, Mark has had a good camp. He’s had a good training camp, as has Geno.”

Smith, who said all he would like is an opportunity to show he can start, is not discouraged to be the backup for his first NFL preseason game.

“I fully back Mark, I fully back the coaches’ decisions,” the rookie said. “Like I said, I’m all about helping this team grow, helping us win. Once they came out with the decision that he will start the first preseason game, like I said, I didn’t have any reaction to it.”

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg said Tuesday that Smith’s performance has dipped since the start of camp and the rookie owns a 55% completion percentage in team drills.

“I just think compared to my first couple of practices, one in particular where I threw the interceptions, it wasn’t my normal self. It wasn’t what everyone was seeing from me,” Smith said. “It’s something that happens in sports; everyone has those days. I think the (most important thing) is how you regroup and how you come back and perform afterwards. I think the past two days I did a really good job at responding.”

You know, I've been wondering why Rex is at all involved in picking the QB?  Hasn't he stated he wants nothing to do with the offense?  That he knows almost nothing about offense?

I think Mornhinweg will bring Rex his recommendation and Rex will base his decision on that.  So it'll essentially be Mornhinweg's call but Rex gets to be the final decision. 

This is such a non-story. According to the coaches, Sanchez is having a strong camp and he's the incumbent starter, so of course he's getting the start tomorrow night. It would be a huge story if Geno was getting the start, because that would be completely unexpected.

The story begins with the next preseason game. If Geno doesn't start that one, he's probably fallen too far behind.

This is such a non-story. According to the coaches, Sanchez is having a strong camp and he's the incumbent starter, so of course he's getting the start tomorrow night. It would be a huge story if Geno was getting the start, because that would be completely unexpected.

The story begins with the next preseason game. If Geno doesn't start that one, he's probably fallen too far behind.

I think the only part that could qualify as a story is Sanchez seeming to think that he's actually earned something over the course of his pro football career... ever.

Well, you know, other than some very well earned mock and ridicule.

Archived