ESPN pulling out of this PBS doc and the "OUTRAGE" stemming from it

Matt39

Christ almighty. As if I couldnt hate Deadspin's over the top douchiness/pretentiousness...every single day a new article apparently shining light on something we all know already. Football causes head injuries. No sh*t.

And of course ESPN pulled out of the doc- like they're going to bite the hand that feeds them.

Football is on its way out though imo.....but its where were eventually headed. Too many lawsuits. Too many lobbyists. Its screwed longterm.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christ almighty. As if I couldnt hate Deadspin's over the top douchiness/pretentiousness...every single day a new article apparently shining light on something we all know already. Football causes head injuries. No sh*t.

And of course ESPN pulled out of the doc- like they're going to bite the hand that feeds them.

Football is on its way out though imo.....but its where were eventually headed. Too many lawsuits. Too many lobbyists. Its screwed longterm.

Maybe someday, but that's still a looooooong way away.  The popularity is at all new heights and as of yet there's been no significant damage to the league from any of the opposition.  Sure, things are changing as the NFL tries to stay ahead of the curve with all of their new health-centered rule changes (which could ultimately help them in some of these suits), but nothing that's going to have a real impact on viewership or popularity.  It's going to take a long time to reach the point of it being in any real trouble even from the start of its decline, which has not even really begun yet.

Maybe someday, but that's still a looooooong way away.  The popularity is at all new heights and as of yet there's been no significant damage to the league from any of the opposition.  Sure, things are changing as the NFL tries to stay ahead of the curve with all of their new health-centered rule changes (which could ultimately help them in some of these suits), but nothing that's going to have a real impact on viewership or popularity.  It's going to take a long time to reach the point of it being in any real trouble even from the start of its decline, which has not even really begun yet.

With the size and speed of the players only increasing....honestly there's no way to prevent head injuries without taking the helmets away. This PBS doc is going to look real bad for causal fans/people who dont follow the sport. You and I both know how dangerous football is and always has been.

An on field death is probably the only thing that could change that.  The NFL currently propagates the myth of safety.  There's no such thing in this sport.  Reality is, no one actually cares.  No one.  So, it'll probably take something catastrophic to change that.  But, even that would probably be seen as a one time thing.  Truth is, these people are sent to be destroyed for our entertainment.  No different than the roman gladiators, except they are paid well, as opposed to slaves.  The NFL's myth is that the sport is anything but that.

An on field death is probably the only thing that could change that.  The NFL currently propagates the myth of safety.  There's no such thing in this sport.  Reality is, no one actually cares.  No one.  So, it'll probably take something catastrophic to change that.  But, even that would probably be seen as a one time thing.  

The Deadspin crusade that's about to take place, I beg to differ that no one cares. They have a loud voice...and they especially like going after ESPN.

Truth is, these people are sent to be destroyed for our entertainment.  No different than the roman gladiators, except they are paid well, as opposed to slaves.  The NFL's myth is that the sport is anything but that.

Oh god. I...just...cant.

The Deadspin crusade that's about to take place, I beg to differ that no one cares. They have a loud voice...and they especially like going after ESPN.

Oh god. I...just...cant.

I wouldn't imagine you could...

And, if people really cared, they wouldn't watch.  Faux Outrage is just that.

I wouldn't imagine you could...

And, if people really cared, they wouldn't watch.  Faux Outrage is just that.

Football players are just live slaves- except they get paid and they can choose to play or not play. Unreal.

When will they be airing that documentary about how the coal industry has been giving its workers cancer for over 300 years?

Gross, I was going to use this example.

There are 100's of professions in this world that leave people ****ed up, none of them pay as well as being a Football player, the sport isnt going anywhere.

Football players are just live slaves- except they get paid and they can choose to play or not play. Unreal.

The choice is more illusory than you assert.  But the point is more relevant to the physical destruction that we clamor for behind the faux outrage.  That being that times have changed, but our entertainment has not necessarily done so.

The choice is more illusory than you assert.  But the point is more relevant to the physical destruction that we clamor for behind the faux outrage.  That being that times have changed, but our entertainment has not necessarily done so.

Give me a break. Im just going to stop here because I'll get annoyed more than I should. But you're being absurd.

Gross, I was going to use this example.

There are 100's of professions in this world that leave people ****ed up, none of them pay as well as being a Football player, the sport isnt going anywhere.

Nothing is more under the microscope than the NFL though. The pending litigation....its going to be a lot.

When will they be airing that documentary about how the coal industry has been giving its workers cancer for over 300 years?

Wrecked as Joe Namath is, I'm sure he is ecstatic that he was a football player and not a coal miner like the rest of Beaver Falls. 

#Murica.

If they outlaw it here, it will be cool to watch in foreign countries.  Italy is too soft. It was like JuCo and everybody had to go to work on Monday, but get them going in the Balkans?  That would be fun to watch.  No speed and way smaller, but absolutely no regard for the human body. 

An on field death is probably the only thing that could change that.  The NFL currently propagates the myth of safety.  There's no such thing in this sport.  Reality is, no one actually cares.  No one.  So, it'll probably take something catastrophic to change that.  But, even that would probably be seen as a one time thing.  Truth is, these people are sent to be destroyed for our entertainment.  No different than the roman gladiators, except they are paid well, as opposed to slaves.  The NFL's myth is that the sport is anything but that.

It won't change as much for the players.  You have to only care about the moment to play football.  I am more concerned about the long term detriment to my health than I ever was about immediate death or injury and I'm fairly tiny. It may go the way of boxing, but I think the League is powerful enough to keep the smoke and mirrors going for another few decades. 

Give me a break. Im just going to stop here because I'll get annoyed more than I should. But you're being absurd.

But, you're adorable when you're annoyed.  And I have no problem with the absurd thought process that waving millions of dollars, adoration, and fame  vs. a return to the life they came from and hopefully a part time job at Home Depot does not present an actual choice to a 20-year-old mind.

It won't change as much for the players.  You have to only care about the moment to play football.  I am more concerned about the long term detriment to my health than I ever was about immediate death or injury and I'm fairly tiny. It may go the way of boxing, but I think the League is powerful enough to keep the smoke and mirrors going for another few decades. 

I don't think it's going anywhere.  The crux of my comments in this thread are really about the faux outrage and the outcry for safety in a game that is really largely about satisfying our more sadistic desires.

the way football will die won't start with the pros. It will start at the pee wee and high school levels, with less people willing to risk their childrens' heads for free. Everyone focuses on the salaries the pros make but these guys come from somewhere. How about the cost of insuring a high school football team?

It eventually will be a regional/economically depressed sport where only the poor or immigrant risk their heads for free. The pros will be the last to go. the feeder pipelines will be hit first. 

the way football will die won't start with the pros. It will start at the pee wee and high school levels, with less people willing to risk their childrens' heads for free. Everyone focuses on the salaries the pros make but these guys come from somewhere. How about the cost of insuring a high school football team?

It eventually will be a regional/economically depressed sport where only the poor or immigrant risk their heads for free. The pros will be the last to go. the feeder pipelines will be hit first. 

Dead on.

on twitter, Hubbuch suggested removing padding from the game like rugby. rugby is just as rough, but has far fewer concussions. I don't think it's a terrible idea. if you remove all the safety nets, guys are more inclined to be careful, not lead with rhe head, etc.., but it 's counterintuitive and the masses don't do well with counterintuitive. or most things.

But, you're adorable when you're annoyed. And I have no problem with the absurd thought process that waving millions of dollars, adoration, and fame vs. a return to the life they came from and hopefully a part time job at Home Depot does not present an actual choice to a 20-year-old mind.

Straw man.

How is this different than now?

first off guys like Peyton/Eli Manning, Andrew Luck i.e. the privileged sons of the rich players won't be steered into the sport as aggressively. In certain litigious states (New York for example) it might not be realistic to run a middle school or high school program due to insurance costs. If the trend continues, eventually only places like Alabama will have football for minors. 

on twitter, Hubbuch suggested removing padding from the game like rugby. rugby is just as rough, but has far fewer concussions. I don't think it's a terrible idea. if you remove all the safety nets, guys are more inclined to be careful, not lead with rhe head, etc.., but it 's counterintuitive and the masses don't do well with counterintuitive. or most things.

Rugby is a continuous action game. There is a tackle in football every 60 seconds.

before they had helmets, the NFL had a serious skull fracture problem. the only way to really save the game is to turn it into something it's not. Basketball with pads. Ban the three point stance etc. 

Got to agree.

It's the helmet  gives the players a false sense of security, and is used as a weapon.  Take it away, injuries fall in half

first off guys like Peyton/Eli Manning, Andrew Luck i.e. the privileged sons of the rich players won't be steered into the sport as aggressively. In certain litigious states (New York for example) it might not be realistic to run a middle school or high school program due to insurance costs. If the trend continues, eventually only places like Alabama will have football for minors.

Archie Manning and Oliver Luck both made millions of dollars after leaving the NFL. Those two know more than us that the concussion issue is overblown. A large portion of the people suing are dirt broke NFL vets looking for a paycheck. Pat White is suing and he's back in the league. Let's wait until any of these guys scores a court victory before we bury the NFL.

Archived