Cimini: Jets vs Girnts

flgreen

W2W4: Jets vs. Giants

August, 23, 2013

Aug 23

10:00

AM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- It's that time of the summer, the annual preseason game between the Jets (1-1) and Giants (1-1). The Jets lead the preseason series, 23-20-1, having won 13 of the last 17 games. This is what we'll be watching:

1. The Geno show: Jets Nation has been waiting for this moment since late April, when the team drafted Geno Smith in the second round. Smith will start and play into the third quarter, if his tender ankle holds up. Can he win the starting job? He wouldn't be starting the most important game of the preseason if the coaches didn't think he had a chance. Everyone will analyze his stats, but the coaches will be looking at the subtle aspects to his game: His ability to communicate plays in the huddle, his cadence, his footwork, the depth of his drop-backs, etc. They also will try to gauge the "It" factor and whether he has the ability to inspire his teammates. This should be compelling stuff.

2. Defensive intensity: The Jets came out flat last week, letting Jaguars QB Blaine Gabbert have his way with them. They tried to use the bad game as a learning tool, especially their struggles against the no-huddle. LB David Harris said they emphasized the no-huddle in practice, "so we don't get caught sleeping again." They'd better get used to it because they'll see plenty of no-huddle in the AFC East. CB Antonio Cromartie set a tone in practice by blasting WR Stephen Hill. Cromartie caught some grief from his offensive teammates, but maybe it served as a wake-up call for the slumbering defense.

3. Battles rage on: Aside from quarterback, three starting jobs are legitimately up in the air -- left guard (Vladimir Ducasse vs. Stephen Peterman), free safety (Antonio Allen vs. Jaiquawn Jarrett) and punter (Robert Malone vs. Ryan Quigley). Ducasse and Allen will start this game, hoping to nail down jobs. Quigley has outkicked Malone and should be closing in on the job. There's also competition at kickoff returner between Joe McKnight and Clyde Gates. McKnight, finally healthy, will make his preseason debut, trying to convince the coaches he's worth the aggravation.

4. Replacing Q: Garrett McIntyre is expected to replace Quinton Coples (fractured ankle) at outside linebacker in the base defense, but you could see a committee approach with Ricky Sapp and Antwan Barnes joining the party. They also could experiment with 4-3 fronts. Hey, why not? Watch for DE Leger Douzable; he could have an expanded role as he makes a bid to make the roster.

5. The kids are all right: When you're not watching the quarterbacks, keep an eye on the other rookies, namely: FB Tommy Bohanon, trying to secure a starting job; LG Brian Winters, making his preseason debut after missing two games with an ankle injury; undrafted WR Ryan Spadola, trying to nail down the fifth receiving spot; and DT Sheldon Richardson, attempting to build on a terrific game last week. CB Dee Milliner (calf) isn't expected to play.

Since when has Quigley outpunted Malone?  All the stats and reports I've seen have said that Malone has been better and has a better net average.

They've both done well enough but Malone's been hurt which is not going to help his cause.  He needs to be back in practice / games soon, because punter is not the kind of position where you'll keep your job until you're healthy and ready to go.  Frankly, while he was nothing special, I'd like to see Malone win simply since he was solid and consistent for them last year and the Jets have such a long history of compulsive shankers that an unknown is always worrisome.

They've both done well enough but Malone's been hurt which is not going to help his cause.  He needs to be back in practice / games soon, because punter is not the kind of position where you'll keep your job until you're healthy and ready to go.  Frankly, while he was nothing special, I'd like to see Malone win simply since he was solid and consistent for them last year and the Jets have such a long history of compulsive shankers that an unknown is always worrisome.

Thanks.  I agree.  He was solid and had a pretty good net average.

I'd love to see the following tomorrow night:

Geno, 15-18, 3 TDs, no picks or fumbles.  (will settle for a solid outing with a couple of TDs and no glaring mistakes)

Vlad dominate, open gaping holes for Ivory and Powell, and no pressures, hits or sacks allowed (will settle for no glaring mental errors)

McIntyre, Barnes and/or Sapp get consistent pressure on Giants' QBs (will settle for playing at Pace's level)

Davis be a force vs the run and in coverage (will settle for his being solid, allowing talent to take over)

I'd love to see the following tomorrow night:

Geno, 15-18, 3 TDs, no picks or fumbles.  (will settle for a solid outing with a couple of TDs and no glaring mistakes)

Vlad dominate, open gaping holes for Ivory and Powell, and no pressures, hits or sacks allowed (will settle for no glaring mental errors)

McIntyre, Barnes and/or Sapp get consistent pressure on Giants' QBs (will settle for playing at Pace's level)

Davis be a force vs the run and in coverage (will settle for his being solid, allowing talent to take over)

And after seeing Geno's performance, without ever stepping onto the field, Sanchez is placed on IR with a bruised vagina.

5. The kids are all right: When you're not watching the quarterbacks, keep an eye on the other rookies, namely: FB Tommy Bohanon, trying to secure a starting job; LG Brian Winters, making his preseason debut after missing two games with an ankle injury; undrafted WR Ryan Spadola, trying to nail down the fifth receiving spot; and DT Sheldon Richardson, attempting to build on a terrific game last week. CB Dee Milliner (calf) isn't expected to play.

I do not know about you guys but for me the only bright spot is the young players.

ha! I don't think it really matters. I think LG has just been added to the "next offseason's problems" list.

Why?  Isn't that what WInters is here for? 

Since when has Quigley outpunted Malone?  All the stats and reports I've seen have said that Malone has been better and has a better net average.

I've read it consistently haven't seen any games yet.  I have them up in NY to watch next weekend.  Must be practice, but I read a few reports that Quigley was outkicking him.  I will probably watch tomorrow. 

Funny, I feel the opposite. I'm not impressed with Malone and would like an upgrade.  This team is one to take a chance on a bigger leg.  This is the year to try out some projects and hope they hit.  

I've read it consistently haven't seen any games yet.  I have them up in NY to watch next weekend.  Must be practice, but I read a few reports that Quigley was outkicking him.  I will probably watch tomorrow. 

Funny, I feel the opposite. I'm not impressed with Malone and would like an upgrade.  This team is one to take a chance on a bigger leg.  This is the year to try out some projects and hope they hit.  

I must have missed those reports, because the ones I've seen had Malone ahead.  If Quigley will be a solid, consistent upgrade, great, but I'd hate to lose Malone see him go elsewhere and continue to be a consistent, reliable Punter and see Quigley hit some longer punts, but also shank a bunch.

I must have missed those reports, because the ones I've seen had Malone ahead.  If Quigley will be a solid, consistent upgrade, great, but I'd hate to lose Malone see him go elsewhere and continue to be a consistent, reliable Punter and see Quigley hit some longer punts, but also shank a bunch.

Quigley certainly could suck.  I've never even seen him kick.  Just going by what I've read.  That can be dangerous. 

From the Jags game:

Ryan Quigley took advantage of Robert Malone’s absence averaging 46 yards per punt including 2 inside the 20 yard line. 

http://thejetpress.com/2013/08/19/new-york-jets-preseason-game-2-the-good-the-bad-the-ugly/

That's a fair point.  I had gotten so accustomed to the years and years of awful shanksters that I gained such an appreciation of someone who wasn't one for a change.  But like you said, if there's any year to roll the dice on potential, this would certainly be it, so I could definitely understand taking that approach.

mehat makes cimini look legit, lol

To his credit, I think Cimini has seriously toned it down in more recent times.  Not sure if it has anything to do with his move to ESPN or maybe realizing what a horses ass Mehta looks like, but even when he works in some negatives remarks, he still makes much more of a point to focus on the facts than ever before.

LOL

Don't know what reports you  guys are reading.  Malone hasn't kicked anything since he  hurt his back getting into a hot tub right after the Lions game.

In a punters life, if your not kicking, your losing

I haven't seen any reports since the Lion's game.  That explains why.  I hadn't heard that he was injured until today.

Good point.  This is definitely the year to take a chance.  If Quigley has a stronger leg and is as consistent as Malone was, then hopefully he'll get the job.

Archived