Jets Claim RB Alex Green

flgreen

6569.jpg
Alex Green | Running Back
Team:  New York Jets Age / DOB: (25) / 6/23/1988 Ht / Wt: 6'0' / 225 College: Hawaii Contract: view contract details
7/30/2011: Signed a four-year, $2.578 million contract. The deal included a $515,000 signing bonus. Annual $7,500 workout bonuses are available in years two through four. 2013: $555,000, 2014: $645,000, 2015: Free Agent
Share:
NYJ.png

Latest News
Recent News

Jets claimed RB Alex Green off waivers from the Packers.
Green averaged just 3.4 YPC on 135 attempts last season, and he didn't show much this preseason. The former third-round pick just hasn't looked the same since tearing his ACL in his rookie year of 2011. Green will slide in as the Jets' No. 3 back, ahead of Kahlil Bell and behind Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. Sep 1 - 1:19 PM

solomon_scott_ci.jpg

ScottSolomon
LB #90
Height: 6-3 Weight: 262 College: Rice Experience: 2
Biography

PRO: The Titans traded back into the seventh round of the 2012 NFL Draft to select Scott Solomon out of Rice University.  The 6-foot-3-inch, 263-pounder is a hard-working, athletic defender who has a knack for getting to the quarterback.  As a rookie, he played 13 games as a reserve defensive end, but during the 2013 offseason he moved to strongside linebacker.  

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS:
•    As a rookie in 2012, he posted nine tackles in 13 games as a reserve defensive end.
•    Solomon finished his Rice career tied for the school record with 24 sacks and ranked second with 44 career tackles for loss.
•    In his final season at Rice, he collected a career-best 8.5 sacks to go along with 55 tackles, 13.5 stops for loss, a forced fumble and two fumble recoveries.
•    As a junior at Rice in 2009, he led all Conference-USA defensive linemen with 63 tackles and amassed 6.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss.

TITANS TIDBITS:  
•    As a senior at Rice, Solomon chose to change his number to 35 to honor fellow fifth-year senior Travis Bradshaw, who suffered a career-ending neck injury during preseason camp.

CAREER TRANSACTIONS:  
•    The San Antonio, Texas, native was selected by the Titans in the seventh round (211th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft.  

COLLEGE:
•    In four playing seasons at Rice University, Solomon appeared in 47 games and tied the school record for sacks (24) and ranked second in program annals in career tackles for loss (44).  Amassed 207 tackles, four forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and 27 quarterback pressures.  Was named to an All Conference-USA team in each of his four playing seasons at Rice.
•    As a senior (2011), was named a first-team All Conference-USA pick by Rivals.com and College Football News and a second-team All Conference-USA selection by league coaches and Phil Steele.  Played in 12 games and posted 55 tackles, 13.5 stops for loss, a forced fumble and two fumble recoveries.  Finished with a career-high 8.5 sacks, which also ranked second in school history.  Had at least one tackle for loss in eight of the last nine games and four sacks in the last five contests.  Earned Conference-USA All-Academic honors in a vote of the league’s sports information directors.  Was one of 19 players who were named to the final watch list for the Ted Hendricks Award for the nation’s top defensive end.  
•    In 2010, sat out the season after suffering a foot injury during the final stages of fall camp.  Had moved inside to defensive tackle during spring drills.  Was a preseason All Conference-USA selection.
•    As a junior (2009), earned second-team All Conference-USA honors from the league’s coaches after leading all Conference-USA defensive linemen with 63 tackles.  Appeared in 12 games and tied for sixth in Conference-USA with 6.5 sacks and tied for eighth in the league with 10.5 tackles for loss.  Posted 4.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks in the last three games.
•    As a sophomore (2008), earned honorable mention All Conference-USA honors from the coaches after leading the team with nine tackles for
loss and 4.5 sacks.  Saw action in 12 games and compiled 40 tackles, a fumble recovery, two passes defensed and a blocked kick.  Finished the season with tackles for loss in four straight regular season games (six total) and sacks in each of the last three contests.  Was credited with 20 of his 40 tackles on the year in the last four games.  Missed the Vanderbilt game with an injury.
•    As a freshman (2008), received Conference-USA All Freshmen honors from league coaches, as well as freshman All-American nods from Scout.com.  Led the down linemen and finished fourth on the team with 49 tackles, despite missing the Southern Mississippi game.  Led the team with 11 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks, finishing 10th in the league in both categories.

PERSONAL:  
•    Single, resides in San Antonio, Texas.
•    Attended Marshall High School (San Antonio, Texas) and was a defensive MVP for District 28-5A and a second team All-State selection.  Piled up 105 tackles, including 13 for loss and nine sacks.  Was named all-area after sparking his team to a 9-3 record and the 28 5A title.
•    Earned all-district honors as a junior with 69 tackles and four sacks.
•    Also competed in the long jump.
•    Was a member of the National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta and the Spanish Honor Society.  Graduated in the top 10 percent of his class, was a second-team academic all-state and listed in Who’s Who of American High School Students.
•    List of favorites: (movie) “Tropic Thunder”; (TV show) “Hard Knocks”; (actor) Arnold Schwarzenegger; (music artists) Five Finger Death Punch; (school subject) science; (vehicle) any kind of truck; (food) Greek and Mediterranean; (sports heroes) David Robinson and Tim Duncan; and (sports teams as a child) San Antonio Spurs.
•    Born Scott Edward Solomon on Nov. 5, 1988 in San Antonio, Texas.

Don't see this affecting Douzable, at least I hope not, really liked him in preseason.

Douzable is a true DE, Solomon is more of a LB'er

If Douzable is not on this team I will go apesh*t.

WTF is the point of preseason if he's cut. By far the best part of watching the Defense for 4 games.

Weird, didn't the Packers claim McKnight?

Gang Green adds Alex Green

Posted by Josh Alper on September 1, 2013, 1:34 PM EDT

Alex GreenAP

After the Jets cut running back Joe McKnight this week, McKnight tweeted that he was going to Green Bay.

It turned out to be a workout rather than a contract that led McKnight to the Packers, but a running back let go by the Pack appears to have found more luck with McKnight’s old team. Agent Michael Hoffman sent out congratulations to his client Alex Green on getting claimed off of waivers by the Jets.

Green was a third-round pick in 2011, but tore his ACL that season and averaged just 3.4 yards per carry for Green Bay last season. With Eddie Lacy and Johnathan Franklin joining the Packers in this year’s draft, Green wound up getting pushed off the depth chart.

He’ll likely slot in behind Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell with the Jets, displacing Khalil Bell. Mike Goodson is suspended for the first four games of the season and his return could spell the end of Green’s time with the Jets if he doesn’t make a strong early impression on the coaching staff.

WTF is the point of preseason if he's cut. By far the best part of watching the Defense for 4 games.

This type of bottom end roster movement is always strange.  Are either of these guys really better than someone you've had in camp who's been busting their ass for you to make the team?  Feel like you'd rather have the guy in camp, gaining  rapport with the team, learning your system and working hard.  But every team does it, so there must be something to it.  It just always seemed strange to me.

Totally agree I would be furious. and all Bell did was go out and EARN a spot on the roster. I hope the get rid of 1 of the FOUR QB's

This type of bottom end roster movement is always strange. Are either of these guys really better than someone you've had in camp who's been busting their ass for you to make the team? Feel like you'd rather have the guy in camp, gaining a rapport with the teams, learning your system and working hard. But every team does it, so there must be something to it. It just always seemed strange qto me.

Exactly. I'm prob overstating my concern a bit but still, as a fan, Douzable is the one guy on D I've been excited about as a possible, genuine diamond in the rough type. Granted I got like this about " Pito" who was also cut and then never really heard from again. (Maybe Seahawks had him for a while?) but anyway, yeah, all those other factors you've stated too, you'd think they'd hold more weight. BS if it's Douzable that gets cut IMO.

Buzz: Jets Claim DE/LB Scott Solomon

September 1st, 2013 2:12 pm 

Bent, TheJetsBlog.com

Solomon was a 7th round pick of the Tennessee Titans in 2012 and played 13 games for them last year as a rotational backup lineman. This year, in preseason, they started using him as a 4-3 outside linebacker. The former Rice product put up some good numbers at the scouting combine last year, but only ran a 4.88 forty.

So far in his NFL career, he’s been more of a run stopper than a pass rusher. My guess is that the thinking behind this could be another option to set the edge with Garrett McIntyre slated to fill in for Quinton Coples over the next few weeks.

Exactly. I'm prob overstating my concern a bit but still, as a fan, Douzable is the one guy on D I've been excited about as a possible, genuine diamond in the rough type. Granted I got like this about " Pito" who was also cut and then never really heard from again. (Maybe Seahawks had him for a while?) but anyway, yeah, all those other factors you've stated too, you'd think they'd hold more weight. BS if it's Douzable that gets cut IMO.

Don't forget "Pito" blew out his Achilles.  Major reason he was never heard   from again

Don't see this affecting Douzable, at least I hope not, really liked him in preseason.

Douzable is a true DE, Solomon is more of a LB'er

I agree.  Replacing Douzable makes no sense.  He's has played extremely well for the Jets.    If Solomon is all that why was he cut?  It's not like the Titans are a powerhouse.

I like at least kicking the tires on Green he was a very good RB entering the NFL.

Reports: New York Jets claim RB, OLB

September, 1, 2013

Sep 1

3:23

PM ET

By  Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Recommend0

Tweet0

Comments0

Email

Print

The Jets acquired at least two players on waivers Sunday -- running back Alex Green (Green Bay Packers) and defensive end/outside lineback Scott Solomon, according to reports.

Green was the Packers' leading rusher last season (434 yards), but he became expendable with the emergence of rookie Eddie Lacy. Green, a third-round pick in 2011, was pedestrian in the preseason, rushing for 71 yards on 21 attempts. His agent tweeted the news that the Jets had claimed him.

This may not well for the Jets' No. 3 back, Kahlil Bell, who had a solid preseason. They also have Mike Goodson, suspended the first four games, waiting in the wings.

Solomon (6-foot-3, 262 pounds) is a hybrid player who was moved to defensive end this season. He was a seventh-round pick in 2012, appearing in 13 games last season but making only four tackles. The Jets now have 11 linebackers -- unless they plan to make him a lineman. He's undersized for the Jets' 3-4 front.

Should have gone and claimed Clay Harbor from the Eagles. Not sure why we seem content with junk at TE.

Jaguars had Waiver Wire priority over us. I'm sure Marty would have loved to have Clay and Prisco said the wanted DJ Williams (TE GB) but someone else got him as well.

I wish Rainey (RB Ravens) would have been there for us. I too liked Harbor

New York Jets Practice Squad Updates

Sep 1st, 2013 at 3:36 pm by Alan SchechterJets

Home » Jets » New York Jets Practice Squad Updates

7545894-300x235.jpg

Aug 1, 2013; Cortland, NY, USA; New York Jets center Dalton Freeman (63) during training camp at SUNY Cortland. Mandatory Credit: William Perlman/THE STAR-LEDGER via USA TODAY Sports

In addition to the signings reported earlier, the names on the practice squad have started to trickle in, so here is what we have so far:

TE Chris Pantale

C Dalton Freeman

S Rontez Miles

LB Troy Davis

DL Tevita Finau

Many fans will be quite happy with the return of Rontez Miles. Miles showed a lot of potential. Same with Dalton Freeman. Freeman, prior to an unfortunate injury, was showing himself as quite the capable backup to Nick Mangold. The Jets need as much depth on the offensive line as they can get.

The practice squad totals eight players, so the Jets have three more to come. None of these have been announced by the Jets as of yet, we will bring you the official word when the team puts it out there.

As we reported earlier, two players, Scott Solomon, and Alex Green have been claimed. Rich Cimini is reporting there may be one more player. The Jets will have to drop players to make room. We will have these official reports as they come as well.

McElroy Thanks New York Jets

date.png September 1st, 2013 user.png Andy Green folder.png Posted in News

lat-mcelroy-wre0007283835-20121202.jpeg

Recently released QB Greg McElroy took to twitter on Sunday to show his appreciation to the New York Jets franchise and it’s fans. 

McElroy wrote:

“After 24 hours of reflection and thought, I would like to thank the New York Jets and their fans for bringing so much joy to my life over the last two years. Thank you to Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum, and Woody Johnson for allowing me to achieve my lifelong dream of playing Quarterback in the NFL. I would also like to thank John Idzik for his extremely professional approach throughout this time. I do believe that he has a remarkable vision for the organization, and I wish I could’ve been a apart of it

I would like to wish the organization the very best going forward and thank you again for having such a profound impact on my life. I look forward to the next opportunity. “

McElroy’s heartfelt message is a very classy response from a player that has handled himself with nothing but professionalism throughout his career with the New York Jets. He has been a strong contributor in the locker room throughout his time with the Jets, and led the Jets to a memorable 7-6 win in 2012 — his only NFL start. Hopefully, once McElroy recovers from the knee injury that has plagued him throughout camp he’ll have another opportunity to play in the NFL.

6569.jpg

Alex Green | Running Back

Team:  New York Jets Age / DOB: (25) / 6/23/1988 Ht / Wt: 6'0' / 225 College: Hawaii Contract: view contract details

%5Bx%5D

7/30/2011: Signed a four-year, $2.578 million contract. The deal included a $515,000 signing bonus. Annual $7,500 workout bonuses are available in years two through four. 2013: $555,000, 2014: $645,000, 2015: Free Agent

I hope the Jets keep Bell. He ran well against Giants and Eagles.

Share:

NYJ.png

Latest News

Recent News

Jets claimed RB Alex Green off waivers from the Packers.

Green averaged just 3.4 YPC on 135 attempts last season, and he didn't show much this preseason. The former third-round pick just hasn't looked the same since tearing his ACL in his rookie year of 2011. Green will slide in as the Jets' No. 3 back, ahead of Kahlil Bell and behind Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. Sep 1 - 1:19 PM

Another QB move in the works for Jets?

September, 1, 2013

Sep 1

4:24

The New York Jets have three new quarterbacks on their current roster -- Geno Smith, Matt Simms and Graham Harrell. And, of course, they still have Mark Sanchez. It would be wrong to assume general manager John Idzik is satisfied and won't make any changes to the depth chart. Don't be surprised if he has another move in the works.

This is a muddled situation because of a couple of variables, namely Sanchez's injured throwing shoulder, which could sideline him a few weeks. The Jets are prepared to start the season with Smith even though he played poorly in less than four quarters of preseason work. Now that Sanchez is banged up, they will rally around the rookie. What choice do they have?

But there's one element missing from this group: An experienced (and healthy) backup willing to groom Smith in a non-competitive situation. The Jets thought they had that guy in David Garrard, but he retired in May because of a chronic knee condition. That really disrupted the master plan. Sanchez could be that experienced backup (and an expensive one, too, at $8.25 million in base pay), but you get the feeling that Idzik doesn't see Sanchez as the mentor type. Obviously, Sanchez still believes he's a starter.

So don't write the depth chart in ink just yet. If the right opportunity comes along ...

Archived