So much negativity around here...what if Geno can actually play?

LionelRichie

Geno is not being given a chance to work on anything. He's being thrown to the wolves.

I agree with this. Many posters here seem to think you either have it or don't, and the notion of ruining a QB is silly. I question if anyone who thinks that way ever played sports. Skill athletes like QB, batters in baseball, etc, require confidence to be good at what they do. The best hitters in the world go through slumps, most of which are mental. QB is probably the hardest position in all of sports to play. I thought it was ridiculous how the started Sanchez from day one, and I think its almost as dumb to start Geno from day one. Pointing to Eli Manning and Luck are just horrible comparisons. Those guys were probably two of the most NFL ready QB's we have seen in the last 15 years based on their systems and the amount of time they played in college. Destroying Geno's confidence before he even gets his fundamentals down has no upside. If he had his fundamentals down, I would feel differently. Learning to read defenses on the fly is fine, not mechanics.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simms didn't earn it simply because he was never given the opportunity to.  Fair or not, a guy cannot be determined to have earned a starting spot when he never played with or against any other starters.  Whether or not he would/could have if given the chance is a different debate, but it (perhaps unfortunately) never happened.

I don't disagree at all, that said, if you asked me who looked better with/against non starters, it was still Simms, and by a lot.

The problem is that there's not a single QB on the Jets roster who did actually earn that job, and you've got to give it to somebody.

Exactly.  It's not an ideal situation, but it is what it is.  We just have to hope that all can make the best of it.  Until they prove otherwise, we have to trust in Mornhinweg and Lee and that they will help Geno develop and get him playing at a high level.  If not, we find out that we still need a QB, and will possibly rule them out as CS that we want to retain.

I agree with this. Many posters here seem to think you either have it or don't, and the notion of ruining a QB is silly. I question if anyone who thinks that way ever played sports. Skill athletes like QB, batters in baseball, etc, require confidence to be good at what they do. The best hitters in the world go through slumps, most of which are mental. QB is probably the hardest position in all of sports to play. I thought it was ridiculous how the started Sanchez from day one, and I think its almost as dumb to start Geno from day one. Pointing to Eli Manning and Luck are just horrible comparisons. Those guys were probably two of the most NFL ready QB's we have seen in the last 15 years based on their systems and the amount of time they played in college. Destroying Geno's confidence before he even gets his fundamentals down has no upside. If he had his fundamentals down, I would feel differently. Learning to read defenses on the fly is fine, not mechanics.

You contradict yourself.  First you say that "the notion of ruining a QB is silly", then you later say  "Destroying Geno's confidence before he even gets his fundamentals down has no upside."  That's how you "ruin" a QB or any player for that matter.  No one makes it into the NFL unless they play at a very high level and have a ton of talent, athleticism, or have worked their butts off to develop solid fundamentals/technique.  Geno has the talent, but not the fundamentals thanks to WVU.  Forcing him to play before his fundamentals are solid and he has a solid grasp of the offense, can not only erode, but destroy his confidence, and thus "ruin" him.

You contradict yourself.  First you say that "the notion of ruining a QB is silly", then you later say  "Destroying Geno's confidence before he even gets his fundamentals down has no upside."  That's how you "ruin" a QB or any player for that matter.  No one makes it into the NFL unless they play at a very high level and have a ton of talent, athleticism, or have worked their butts off to develop solid fundamentals/technique.  Geno has the talent, but not the fundamentals thanks to WVU.  Forcing him to play before his fundamentals are solid and he has a solid grasp of the offense, can not only erode, but destroy his confidence, and thus "ruin" him.

You misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying many posters here believe the notion of ruining a QB is silly. I don't believe that at all, I believe many QB's have been ruined. I think a QB can be ruined rather easily, and would much rather we develop our QB's rather than throw them in when they are not ready.

You misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying many posters here believe the notion of ruining a QB is silly. I don't believe that at all, I believe many QB's have been ruined. I think a QB can be ruined rather easily, and would much rather we develop our QB's rather than throw them in when they are not ready.

Ah, sorry, My bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived