So much negativity around here...what if Geno can actually play?

LionelRichie

Seriously, the hate on this board is ridiculous. Yeah he sh*t the bed against the Giants. Big ******* deal, it was his first preseason game and he sucked. He had a bad day get over it. People are acting like one game decides whether or not someone sucks.

+1.

Another person who had a bad day that day: Eli Manning.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaron Rodgers fell to the bottom of the first round when he was considered to be a sure top 10 pick. Case in point, it doesn't mean anything. Geno's future is uncertain. To write him off after one game is beyond ridiculous. 

I wrote him off before the draft.  Was so glad we passed on him in the 1st round.  I saw it in college, the kid is a horrible decision maker, crumbles under pressure, and cannot handle adversity.   What concerns me is not that he just had a bad game against the Giants, but that every knock on him coming out of college was exploited to the fullest extent in his first preseason start.   And that is when the defense did practically no gameplanning.  

Guys like Don LaGreca say Geno Smith "is no Russell Wilson" and keep repeating that line. The media piles on him. For what? One pre-season game? The piling on began even before that!!! They have been after this kid from the moment the Jets drafted him!

Like it or not, he was the near-consensus #1 QB in the draft. Even in a weak draft year, those guys always have a shot.

The piling on began because of the hot start he had last season.  First half of the season a lot of talk of Heisman, #1 pick in the draft RG III,  he was OK, but just not that good.

Then he lost 5 out of 6 games, and shyt the bed in the Pinstripe Bowl.  Except for the first week he has had a very weak camp here.  It's not about hate, the guy just isn't that good

i think he needs to just sit for this year so he can learn  the speed of the nfl, but we dont have a choice

A year, are you sure? I think he should sit for two years, at least. Sixteen games is too arbitrary a number. How is he going to learn the speed of the NFL by sitting on the sidelines? Maybe we can get a lifelong season ticket holder with great seats and a good arm to play QB for us this year. He/she must be incredibly used to the speed of the NFL by now.

The piling on began because of the hot start he had last season.  First half of the season a lot of talk of Heisman, #1 pick in the draft RG III,  he was OK, but just not that good.

Then he lost 5 out of 6 games, and shyt the bed in the Pinstripe Bowl.  Except for the first week he has had a very weak camp here.  It's not about hate, the guy just isn't that good

Congratulations, you were right. Smith is a terrible NFL quarterback.

HE lost five out of six, huh? HE put up 49 points against Oklahoma and lost, 38 against TCU and lost and 34 against Oklahoma St. and lost.

The Texas Tech game he only completed 53 percent of his passes for 272 yards but didn't turn the ball over.

The Kansas St. game he was terrible, throwing two interceptions and completing 65 percent of his passes for 145 yds.

And of course, the Syracuse game in the snow, he was not good at all, but you don't get infallible quarterbacks in the second round. The sixth round, sure, but the second round, never. :winking0001:

Congratulations, you were right. Smith is a terrible NFL quarterback.

Haven't even said he is doomed to be a terrible NFL QB.  This is just the wrong time to force him in there.  He is no where near ready.  Two games in 4 days, the second of which is NE in a prime time game.  The fans are going to be all over him.

This guy needs At Least a year to even think about being an NFL QB.

There is so much negativity around this team right now.  It seems like everyone, media included, is piling on Rex, Idzik, and Geno.    There is more negativity around this team than there was around Herm's Bollywood season.  

So what happens if Geno can actually play?    I like what I saw from Morningwig's offense in the preseason, Holmes is coming back, and I don't think we saw the "real" running game yet. 

You know Rex will put together a competent defense - so does the entire season really come down to Geno?    Is it even possible to play worse than Sanchez last season?     If Geno plays well how many games can this team win?    

I don't see how the Jets can win more than six games this season even if Geno plays well. I don't think that is being negative, I think that is what is realistic. Geno is a rookie and he will make rookie mistakes. What I would like to see is him simply play better as the year goes on. Then, with Rex gone, the team can draft some weapons for him, which is something they did NOT do for Sanchez. There is a reason why Sanchez still makes rookie mistakes and his name is Rex Ryan.

if Geno plays well I feel this team could win 9 games. Possibly 10. If he limits turnovers and takes some pressure off the D then the D will be a top 5 type D. 

Decent QB play with a top D automatically gets you 7-9 wins, as we learned last year. So if he actually plays well I dont think 9 or 10 would be crazy.

BUT from what we have seen with him, why would any of us think he will even be decent?

Just from Geno limiting the 3 and outs he will help the defense.

Well Geno Smith era has begun. As it just goes to show you. Rex wants to move on in a way!

And I REALLY want to let him move on. I hear he will be a much sought after talking head at espn, which is his level. He had PROVEN beyond a shadow of doubt that head coaching is not his strength.

if Geno plays well I feel this team could win 9 games. Possibly 10. If he limits turnovers and takes some pressure off the D then the D will be a top 5 type D. 

Decent QB play with a top D automatically gets you 7-9 wins, as we learned last year. So if he actually plays well I dont think 9 or 10 would be crazy.

BUT from what we have seen with him, why would any of us think he will even be decent?

"Dreamer....nothing but a dreamer" In case you missed it the Jets won six games last year, supposedly with Rex's "best team ever."  9-10 wins IS crazy. Let Geno develop into what he is going to be without expectations of wins and losses. It's a rebuilding year and a jettison Rex year. I hope things will be looking up at the end of it.

There is so much negativity around this team right now.  It seems like everyone, media included, is piling on Rex, Idzik, and Geno.    There is more negativity around this team than there was around Herm's Bollywood season.  

So what happens if Geno can actually play?    I like what I saw from Morningwig's offense in the preseason, Holmes is coming back, and I don't think we saw the "real" running game yet. 

You know Rex will put together a competent defense - so does the entire season really come down to Geno?    Is it even possible to play worse than Sanchez last season?     If Geno plays well how many games can this team win?    

Well we do have a lot of experts on this site who can look at one start, discount a player's obvious nervousness and inexperience, and pronounce him incapable of ever being a viable QB in the league.  I have only seen him play about 2 quarters of football, college and pro combined, and I am not gonna say he will be a standout.  But he has better arm strength and quicker feet than our last QB and must be 3 inches taller.   And it is my personal belief that he will have less turnovers.  If that happens, we win more than 6.  I can live with that for this year.  And if he flashes some, then we can get him better offensive guys next year, free agent and draft.  Plus, running games never develop pre season.  I know that will be better than what we have seen

I have seem good pro QBs get intercepted by D linemen peeling off into coverage.  I have seen many good pros overthrow a receiver in the middle of the field while they are taking a shot to the face.  And I have seen countless INTs from all types of QBs throwing a little behind a WR.  As for stepping out of the end zone--it is weird but it happens, more likely to a raw rook.  So I am not distressed.  Because he threw for almost 200 yards in his 3 periods and put up 2 TDs.  It wasn't like he ran into somebody's ass and coughed it up.  Or dropped a shotgun snap and coughed it up.  Or could not complete a screen pass for the hundredth time, and donated 6 points to the other team.  Yeah, he made mistakes.  NOrmal mistakes.  Let's see if he does it over and over again before condemning him to the 9th circle of hell.

A year, are you sure? I think he should sit for two years, at least. Sixteen games is too arbitrary a number. How is he going to learn the speed of the NFL by sitting on the sidelines? Maybe we can get a lifelong season ticket holder with great seats and a good arm to play QB for us this year. He/she must be incredibly used to the speed of the NFL by now.

You know what teams do on Wed-Fri every week, right?  Its called practice...And its a great way to get your young backups reps against other NFLers that arent necessarily ready to bea  full time starter yet.   I dont think anyone is suggesting that Geno will get better by simply watching.  But he might be better off sitting to start, analyizing film, learning the offense, adjusting to the speed of the game in practice, sitting in on QB meetings, etc. without having to try to figure it out on the fly as a full time starting QB.

Having said all that, I still have little to no faith in Geno developing into a franchise type QB.  He has never been that smart to begin with, and to succeed at a high level at the QB position, you need to be able to make good decisions quickly, under pressure...Something he has never been able to do.

You know what teams do on Wed-Fri every week, right?  Its called practice...And its a great way to get your young backups reps against other NFLers that arent necessarily ready to bea  full time starter yet.   I dont think anyone is suggesting that Geno will get better by simply watching.  But he might be better off sitting to start, analyizing film, learning the offense, adjusting to the speed of the game in practice, sitting in on QB meetings, etc. without having to try to figure it out on the fly as a full time starting QB.

Having said all that, I still have little to no faith in Geno developing into a franchise type QB.  He has never been that smart to begin with, and to succeed at a high level at the QB position, you need to be able to make good decisions quickly, under pressure...Something he has never been able to do.

Oh, is that what it's called? I had no idea. I also didn't know teams practiced at the same speed and with as much intensity in practice that they do in game situations. It's like the same thing, right, this practice you speak of?

Name a quarterback that was made better by sitting for a year. I'll wait.

And where did you get the idea that Geno Smith has never been smart? You pulled that straight out of your ass.

So, you're basing your judgement on three quarters of a preseason game.

I'm basing it on how badly he played combined with how bad Mark Sanchez is.  We know Geno can't play at a high level, right now. Will he at some point in the future? Possibly, but learning on the job got Sanchez where he is now and I don't think we should do the same thing from Geno.  That said, this team never learns from mistakes, so it's expected.

Oh, is that what it's called? I had no idea. I also didn't know teams practiced at the same speed and with as much intensity in practice that they do in game situations. It's like the same thing, right, this practice you speak of?

Name a quarterback that was made better by sitting for a year. I'll wait.

And where did you get the idea that Geno Smith has never been smart? You pulled that straight out of your ass.

Aaron Rodgers sat two years before his first regular season start. 

And the big knock on Geno coming out of college that was evident to everyone that ever paid attention to him at WVU was his poor decision making, especially under pressure, and his inability to overcome mistakes/adversity.   To me, that means he is not "smart" in the football sense. 

I'm basing it on how badly he played combined with how bad Mark Sanchez is.  We know Geno can't play at a high level, right now. Will he at some point in the future? Possibly, but learning on the job got Sanchez where he is now and I don't think we should do the same thing from Geno.  That said, this team never learns from mistakes, so it's expected.

Fair enough. I didn't get that from your post. It had a ring of finality.

Aaron Rodgers sat two years before his first regular season start. 

And the big knock on Geno coming out of college that was evident to everyone that ever paid attention to him at WVU was his poor decision making, especially under pressure, and his inability to overcome mistakes/adversity.   To me, that means he is not "smart" in the football sense. 

Aaron Rodgers would have been just as good at this point in his career if he started right away.

As for Smith, he threw 97 touchdowns and 20 interceptions in three seasons as starter. 7, 7 and 6. For a guy throwing that volume, that is not alot. I don't see how you could possibly look at those numbers and go, "Yep, terrible decision maker." I'm not saying that says he's an awesome decision maker, but what prism are you looking through?

I'd like him to sit for a while. Half the year would've been good. There's a lot to be said for spending time on the bench. Back in the day, rookies very rarely started. That started changing as more college programs began running pro style offenses (and the price of high draft picks went thru the roof), but Geno didn't play in a pro style offense in college (and as a second round pick, isn't a huge monetary liability, either).

When a QB plays before he's ready, in the speed of action, he'll tend to revert to the habits he developed in college - rather than break those habits. Geno is not the type of physical specimen who can rely solely on his athletic gifts. He has a good arm, and decent mobility, but his strength is his smarts. Letting his new offense soak in a little more before being thrown out there can only be a good thing. The obstacles ahead of him are numerous. New offense for everyone, shaky skill players, new pieces on the OL, and a relentless media ready to take him down at every turn.

But alas, he's gonna start. He's gonna open his NFL career with two games four days apart, the second one in NE. Can't imagine how anything could go wrong there for a guy who's biggest knock is a lack of emotional/mental resiliency. A guy who asked out of a "brutal" practice. Nah, let's throw him to the wolves and see what happens. Good plan.

Aaron Rodgers fell to the bottom of the first round when he was considered to be a sure top 10 pick. Case in point, it doesn't mean anything. Geno's future is uncertain. To write him off after one game is beyond ridiculous.

If Geno had 3 years to sit and learn, the comparison might be apt.

As it stands, he's getting the Mark Sanchez treatment, but with a worse supporting cast than 2009.

Aaron Rodgers would have been just as good at this point in his career if he started right away.

As for Smith, he threw 97 touchdowns and 20 interceptions in three seasons as starter. 7, 7 and 6. For a guy throwing that volume, that is not alot. I don't see how you could possibly look at those numbers and go, "Yep, terrible decision maker." I'm not saying that says he's an awesome decision maker, but what prism are you looking through?

And you know this about Rodgers how?  Or is it just that the counter to your statement would prove your entire point wrong?

Geno's numbers in college were very good.   And if you watched him or followed him last season you would have noticed how horrible he fell off at the end of the season when things weren't going his way.   That is also when he faced the best defenses that constantly pressured him and forced him to make good, quick, decisions.   He was unable too.  

And once he made his first mistake, he forced and forced and never was able to get into a rhythm.  Sound familiar? Thats because the same thing happened in his first NFL preseason start, too. 

I'd like him to sit for a while. Half the year would've been good. There's a lot to be said for spending time on the bench. Back in the day, rookies very rarely started. That started changing as more college programs began running pro style offenses (and the price of high draft picks went thru the roof), but Geno didn't play in a pro style offense in college (and as a second round pick, isn't a huge monetary liability, either).

When a QB plays before he's ready, in the speed of action, he'll tend to revert to the habits he developed in college - rather than break those habits. Geno is not the type of physical specimen who can rely solely on his athletic gifts. He has a good arm, and decent mobility, but his strength is his smarts. Letting his new offense soak in a little more before being thrown out there can only be a good thing. The obstacles ahead of him are numerous. New offense for everyone, shaky skill players, new pieces on the OL, and a relentless media ready to take him down at every turn.

But alas, he's gonna start. He's gonna open his NFL career with two games four days apart, the second one in NE. Can't imagine how anything could go wrong there for a guy who's biggest knock is a lack of emotional/mental resiliency. A guy who asked out of a "brutal" practice. Nah, let's throw him to the wolves and see what happens. Good plan.

What habits did he have in college exactly? You watched him?

And who is your source that says he asked out of a practice?

I do see your point about the style of offense he played in. And maybe I'm downplaying the importance of learning a pro style offense because I'm admittedly ignorant about it, but I have a feeling that he will not be "thrown to the wolves" but will have a gameplan that has his current limitations in mind, don't you?

And you know this about Rodgers how?  Or is it just that the counter to your statement would prove your entire point wrong?

Geno's numbers in college were very good.   And if you watched him or followed him last season you would have noticed how horrible he fell off at the end of the season when things weren't going his way.   That is also when he faced the best defenses that constantly pressured him and forced him to make good, quick, decisions.   He was unable too.  

And once he made his first mistake, he forced and forced and never was able to get into a rhythm.  Sound familiar? Thats because the same thing happened in his first NFL preseason start, too. 

The point is you have no ******* idea that Aaron Rodgers would have not been the same QB if he started right away. None. But yet you brought him up as if you knew. You don't.

Archived