So much negativity around here...what if Geno can actually play?

LionelRichie

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, the fact that I'm defending a rookie Jet quarterback who has played three quarters of NFL football to other Jet fans is absolutely mind boggling to me. I've been a Jet fan for 31 years, if anyone is entitled to be negative, it's me. But I choose objectivity.

We're all rooting for him Gastineau, just like we all root for Sanchez to miraculously turn it around.   We just dont think either of them are any good. 

Peyton Manning started right away. Threw 28 interceptions his first season. Eli Manning did not benefit from sitting behind Kurt Warner. He was pretty bad for the first two (three?) years of his career. He turned out okay.

Are you saying that Eli is the QB he is today because he sat behind Warner for six freaking weeks? Give me a ******* break.

The point is you have no ******* idea that Aaron Rodgers would have not been the same QB if he started right away. None. But yet you brought him up as if you knew. You don't.

Of course I dont know. And neither do you.  You are the one that asked me to name a QB who sat out for a year and got better from it.  I named one that sat his first two years and is now one of the best QBs in the league.   Do I know if sitting out benefited him? Of course not. But it certainly didn't hurt him and the Packers FO and Coaching Staff looks pretty damn good for it, too. 

Peyton Manning started right away. Threw 28 interceptions his first season. Eli Manning did not benefit from sitting behind Kurt Warner. He was pretty bad for the first two (three?) years of his career. He turned out okay.

Are you saying that Eli is the QB he is today because he sat behind Warner for six freaking weeks? Give me a ******* break.

Tom Brady started his first season, looked like a HOFer, and hasn't looked back since.   Luck, Wilson,and RGIII all had great rookie years, we'll see what happens in their careers.  Mark Sanchez was drafted 6th overall, was up and down his first year, and has sucked ever since.   

I dont think there is a right or wrong answer as to whether or not it is best for a QB to sit out a year or not.  It's probably different depending on the QB and their background. 

Tom Brady started his first season, looked like a HOFer, and hasn't looked back since.   Luck, Wilson,and RGIII all had great rookie years, we'll see what happens in their careers.  Mark Sanchez was drafted 6th overall, was up and down his first year, and has sucked ever since.   

I dont think there is a right or wrong answer as to whether or not it is best for a QB to sit out a year or not.  It's probably different depending on the QB and their background.

No he didn't.

If Geno was Luck, RGIII, or a 6'3" version of Wilson, he would've been a top three pick. He wasn't.

Correlation is not causation.

Of course not. At some point, you either have the talent, or you don't.  Sitting or starting won't change that.   The difference is one allows for some adjustment period to learn the system, get a feel for teammates, understand proper reads etc., while the other you have to go out and figure it out on the fly.  Again, not sure if there is a right or wrong answer...More depends on the QB, where he is coming from, and what his personality and makeup are... 

Great.  So now if Geno sh*ts the bed you have a built-in argument as to why he should keep on playing out the season and into next year. 

There are really no facts here...just opinions.  My opinion is that I don't think Geno is going to be successful this season.  I've seen too many flaws in the limited time I've watched to feel that he's going to walk through magical pixie dust going through the tunnel next weekend and suddenly turn into a solid NFL QB. 

I'll root for him and give him a few weeks because that's the way this works, but if he plays like I fear he will, I'll be happy enough to see the next guy come in. 

Geno just doesn't feel to me like the guy I want to bet the franchise on for the next 5 years.  Not yet.  And fortunately, given where we drafted him, we don't have to place that bet.

No matter how many times you post your opinions, you're very unlikely to convince anyone who doesn't already agree with you that you're right and they're wrong.  Because that's how this board works.

What if Geno gets on the field and on the first play turns into a giant praying mantis??...just saying...

Well preying mantises are cool.  And they're green.  And I bet a 200 lb. one could use those front legs to throw a football really hard.  And seriously, who the f*k would want to tackle one.

So yeah, I think that would work out pretty well.  Sign me up.

The piling on began because of the hot start he had last season.  First half of the season a lot of talk of Heisman, #1 pick in the draft RG III,  he was OK, but just not that good.

Then he lost 5 out of 6 games, and shyt the bed in the Pinstripe Bowl.  Except for the first week he has had a very weak camp here.  It's not about hate, the guy just isn't that good

Did you even watch him play. He had madden stats those first games. He was unreal. Ok, are you ******* kidding me. The dude was insane. Look at the stats. My god, do you guys even watch football?

Great.  So now if Geno sh*ts the bed you have a built-in argument as to why he should keep on playing out the season and into next year. 

There are really no facts here...just opinions.  My opinion is that I don't think Geno is going to be successful this season.  I've seen too many flaws in the limited time I've watched to feel that he's going to walk through magical pixie dust going through the tunnel next weekend and suddenly turn into a solid NFL QB. 

I'll root for him and give him a few weeks because that's the way this works, but if he plays like I fear he will, I'll be happy enough to see the next guy come in. 

Geno just doesn't feel to me like the guy I want to bet the franchise on for the next 5 years.  Not yet.  And fortunately, given where we drafted him, we don't have to place that bet.

No matter how many times you post your opinions, you're very unlikely to convince anyone who doesn't already agree with you that you're right and they're wrong.  Because that's how this board works.

What are you talking about? You should read the preceding posts. Where did I say that Geno was the future of the franchise, go find the quote. I'm just saying, as I have been for five ******* pages, is that you can't write the kid off after three preseason quarters.

And I have been posting, again, for five ******* pages against people posting their opinions and presenting them as fact.

The piling on began because of the hot start he had last season.  First half of the season a lot of talk of Heisman, #1 pick in the draft RG III,  he was OK, but just not that good.

Then he lost 5 out of 6 games, and shyt the bed in the Pinstripe Bowl.  Except for the first week he has had a very weak camp here.  It's not about hate, the guy just isn't that good

38, 34, 49, 31, 59, 14 = amount of points he put up in those 6 games. We're supposed to get on him for that 6 game stretch?

Aaron Rodgers sat two years before his first regular season start. 

And the big knock on Geno coming out of college that was evident to everyone that ever paid attention to him at WVU was his poor decision making, especially under pressure, and his inability to overcome mistakes/adversity.   To me, that means he is not "smart" in the football sense. 

Poor decision making. I guess his poor decision making is why he was given complete control to audible at the line. And guess what, he did it a ******* lot. I also guess his poor decision making is what caused him to have really great stats. In case people have forgotten his completion percentage was near Andrew Luck's and he threw very few interceptions. But I guess that's his poor decision making. Unreal, once again, do you guys even watch football?

38, 34, 49, 31, 59, 14 = amount of points he put up in those 6 games. We're supposed to get on him for that 6 game stretch?

At this point, I'm pretty sure they didn't watch the games, and are just parroting what the media is saying about him.

Also, by the genius logic of the media, he didn't win those games so he sucks.

If he doesn't show improvement, we'll be in for a long season followed by a draft of Bridgewater, Boyd or someone else that emerges at the position plus we'll be 40mil or so under the cap, from what I understand. I, for one, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Any idea who said this five ******* pages ago?

Did you even watch him play. He had madden stats those first games. He was unreal. Ok, are you ******* kidding me. The dude was insane. Look at the stats. My god, do you guys even watch football?

After all the nonsense hype started on him, I watched all of, or part of Texas Tech L 49-14, Kansas State L 55-14, Oklahoma State L 55-34, Iowa State W 31-24, and the masterpiece the Pinstripe Bowl  in which he took 2 safety's in a 38-14 loss. 

Not really impressed by the guy.  He played in a very unorthodox system, with two of the best WR's in the country. 

I watch a lot more college football then I do NFL because I wager on it.

How many games did you watch?  Or did you just look at the stats?  And read the draft guru's hype.  He has some upside but he's nothing special

After all the nonsense hype started on him, I watched all of, or part of Texas Tech L 49-14, Kansas State L 55-14, Oklahoma State L 55-34, Iowa State W 31-24, and the masterpiece the Pinstripe Bowl  in which he took 2 safety's in a 38-14 loss. 

Not really impressed by the guy.  He played in a very unorthodox system, with two of the best WR's in the country. 

I watch a lot more college football then I do NFL because I wager on it.

How many games did you watch?  Or did you just look at the stats?  And read the draft guru's hype.  He has some upside but he's nothing special

I watched the Marshall game, Maryland, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Iowa, and the Pinstripe bowl. His bad games were blown out of proportions. Yeah, the pinstripe game was far from great with the two safeties, but his stat line wasn't too bad. 16of24 for 187 yards isn't bad. You are also forgetting that he had no defense to rely on. Tavon said it the best, it wasn't easy going into every game knowing you had to score 40 points. That was the mind set in every game they played, they had no defense to rely on. So they had to score basically on every drive. He did really great considering the circumstances he was in. Also, two best wr's in the country? Seriously, Tavon was great, but Tajh Boyd has Sammy Watkins who is a lot better than Tavon and I don't hear anyone suggesting that his team carried him. Also, way to forget about how bad his offensive line was.

Also nothing special? Are you ******* kidding me. He has great football iq, seeing as how he had full control to audible at the line of scrimmage on every single play, and he audibled a crap ton. He has a strong arm and a strong work ethic. He's far from nothing special. 

And you know this about Rodgers how?  Or is it just that the counter to your statement would prove your entire point wrong?

Geno's numbers in college were very good.   And if you watched him or followed him last season you would have noticed how horrible he fell off at the end of the season when things weren't going his way.   That is also when he faced the best defenses that constantly pressured him and forced him to make good, quick, decisions.   He was unable too.  

And once he made his first mistake, he forced and forced and never was able to get into a rhythm.  Sound familiar? Thats because the same thing happened in his first NFL preseason start, too. 

Think any of his "lack of ability to make good, quick decisions" might have anything even remotely to do with his horrible OL, practically nonexistent rushing attack, totally nonexistent defense, and his having to carry the whole team on his shoulders?  In addition, HE was calling the plays at the LOS most often.  Guess his decision making was pretty awful considering that he threw 4-5 times more TDs than interceptions and his team scored so few points.

Great. So now if Geno sh*ts the bed you have a built-in argument as to why he should keep on playing out the season and into next year.

There are really no facts here...just opinions. My opinion is that I don't think Geno is going to be successful this season. I've seen too many flaws in the limited time I've watched to feel that he's going to walk through magical pixie dust going through the tunnel next weekend and suddenly turn into a solid NFL QB.

Geno just doesn't feel to me like the guy I want to bet the franchise on for the next 5 years. Not yet. And fortunately, given where we drafted him, we don't have to place that bet.

No matter how many times you post your opinions, you're very unlikely to convince anyone who doesn't already agree with you that you're right and they're wrong. Because that's how this board works.

Wow.. your so right

I watched the Marshall game, Maryland, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Iowa, and the Pinstripe bowl. His bad games were blown out of proportions. Yeah, the pinstripe game was far from great with the two safeties, but his stat line wasn't too bad. 16of24 for 187 yards isn't bad. You are also forgetting that he had no defense to rely on. Tavon said it the best, it wasn't easy going into every game knowing you had to score 40 points. That was the mind set in every game they played, they had no defense to rely on. So they had to score basically on every drive. He did really great considering the circumstances he was in. Also, two best wr's in the country? Seriously, Tavon was great, but Tajh Boyd has Sammy Watkins who is a lot better than Tavon and I don't hear anyone suggesting that his team carried him. Also, way to forget about how bad his offensive line was.

Not concerned about the W-L record one way or the other. 

It's his mechanics on the field.    He has an NFL arm, but his mechanics are awful. He didn't throw many pics, but neither did Sanchez in college.  He has fast straight line speed, but he doesn't like to scramble, and doesn't have the torso to take big hits.

He has  fumbled the ball I think 32 times.  Isn't that what everyone hates in Sanchez?  He has taken 77 sacks in 39 games.  He just isn't prepared for the NFL.  If you want to know the truth he reminds me of Sanchez when he was drafted.  Same kind of problems, and no experience in an NFL offense, minus the National Championship of course.

Smith may develop into something........someday.  But I strongly doubt it will be this year.  if they throw him in there with a bad team, he won't learn. He'll just be trying to improvise, and the same conversation will be going on about him in the future.

if your a Smith fan, the best thing that could happen to him is to get a year or two of NFL coaching.  Maybe then he will be a viable QB.  Honestly I don't think he will ever be very good, but it's always possible.

Not concerned about the W-L record one way or the other. 

It's his mechanics on the field.    He has an NFL arm, but his mechanics are awful. He didn't throw many pics, but neither did Sanchez in college.  He has fast straight line speed, but he doesn't like to scramble, and doesn't have the torso to take big hits.

He has  fumbled the ball I think 32 times.  Isn't that what everyone hates in Sanchez?  He has taken 77 sacks in 39 games.  He just isn't prepared for the NFL.  If you want to know the truth he reminds me of Sanchez when he was drafted.  Same kind of problems, and no experience in an NFL offense, minus the National Championship of course.

Smith may develop into something........someday.  But I strongly doubt it will be this year.  if they throw him in there with a bad team, he won't learn. He'll just be trying to improvise, and the same conversation will be going on about him in the future.

if your a Smith fan, the best thing that could happen to him is to get a year or two of NFL coaching.  Maybe then he will be a viable QB.  Honestly I don't think he will ever be very good, but it's always possible.

The Geno hate is unreal. You will be proved wrong.

Also nothing special? Are you ******* kidding me. He has great football iq, seeing as how he had full control to audible at the line of scrimmage on every single play, and he audibled a crap ton. He has a strong arm and a strong work ethic. He's far from nothing special. 

187 yards as a college QB sucks.   And the WV defense sucked all year long, the different was, he would put up 70 points and win early on, whereas as the season went on, the team, including him, sucked.    

And who gives a sh*t about stats in college. They are great to look at, but Tebow broke plenty of college records and still sucks as a QB.  The guy from Boise State broke every record and then some, never even made it to the NFL.  The Hawaii guy a few years back, hell every Hawaii guy under June Jones broke every QB record and none of them were NFL QBs.       Smith was the best QB in college the first few weeks and everybody, including me, thought the guy should be handed the trophy and be handed the #1 pick.   And then the losing started.  And no, WVU didn't lose because Smith was terrible, but Smith wasn't exactly playing all that well either.   

Again, great he put up stats as the team kept losing.  A guy like Jay Cutler in the NFL is that kind of QB.  Great stats most of the time, but he sucks just as often as his teams lose.  And Smith would be lucky to be as good as Cutler in the NFL at this point.   The problem with Smith is the guy started to believe all the hype and it's obvious before this season even started he was more "i'm great get over it" compared to being humble.    

So many wouldn't know what to do with themselves if Geno Smith turns out to the be the real deal. Most of the posters strive on negative comments towards players and the organization.

sure we would

time to hate on the defense !!!  those LB's can't cover ANYBODY !!!!!!!

Aaron Rodgers fell to the bottom of the first round when he was considered to be a sure top 10 pick. Case in point, it doesn't mean anything. Geno's future is uncertain. To write him off after one game is beyond ridiculous.

And to say he's gonna be great or even the future of the Jets is even more ridiculous considering most NFL QBs fail on top of the fact he hasn't looked that good. I'm not saying he'll be either but if I was betting I'd go against him.

He needs time to develop and learn the NFL.

Did you watch him last year in college and so far this year? He's just not very good. Maybe he will be maybe not but at least Sanchez is on the sideline for a while.

Can we be fair at least? The two games he most notably sucked in, one was in a wind storm and another was in a snow storm. At least from what I watched...but yeah I realize the counter to that is he's playing in the Meadowlands. But still, just saying. I don't think you're being fair. You may end up being right but at least give the kid a chance. 

Archived