IMO- The idea of "It takes a QB 4 years to develop" is dead...

CobraVerde

I recently recall Steve Young commenting during the post game Denver/Raider game that he thinks it takes a QB 4 years to develop and understand the game. I used to agree with this but i would argue that technology has shrunk down the learning curve. I believe the bar now is 2 years. Back in Steve Young's days there werent games like Madden and kids growing up today that play the game are not only more knowledgeable about the game but also they have access to technology to help them understand it more. An average guy can pay the 39.99 a month and get access to coaches tape to teach his little league team. Access to better training equipment and new health and nutrition knowledge also leads to better physical performance. there are still systems that manufacture QBs that take longer to develop but with NFL caliber system college programs, teams in the NFL can win with young players.

It's not even about technology, it's about money.  The 49ers, Ravens, Packers, Seahawks, etc all had young QBs who didn't get the big paycheck yet.  Once that happens you see the Packers now, you see the Ravens, etc.    Paying one player 20 Million a year is going to make a team sacrifice.   And most of these great QBs aren't even HOF great. Hell look at Tom Brady & Peyton Manning. Those guys aren't winning super bowls every year.    So if you get a young guy who wins in the first 4-5 years and gives you a chance to win,  you are ahead of the game.  Once they start demanding the $20 million and so on,  you have to make sacrafices at other positions.

Nobody has 4-5 years to develop anymore. It's a RIGHT NOW society as it is, and it's expensive.  You tell the advertisers, the sponsors, the media, the fans, the season ticket holders, etc that "we need 4-5 years" for this guy to hopefully develop just doesn't work.   I mean look at Sanchez.  He went backwards.  So if you go by that model, after now 5 years with Sanchez, the Jets have to start over.   You can't keep telling people it'll take 4+ years for a young QB to develop unless you already win.  The Packers had Favre.  Steve Young was a backup to Joe Montana.  If you can do that, why not.  But these days a guy like Steve Young wouldn't wait behind Montana for 4+ years for his turn. Players now want out if that happens.  

I recently recall Steve Young commenting during the post game Denver/Raider game that he thinks it takes a QB 4 years to develop and understand the game. I used to agree with this but i would argue that technology has shrunk down the learning curve. I believe the bar now is 2 years. Back in Steve Young's days there werent games like Madden and kids growing up today that play the game are not only more knowledgeable about the game but also they have access to technology to help them understand it more. An average guy can pay the 39.99 a month and get access to coaches tape to teach his little league team. Access to better training equipment and new health and nutrition knowledge also leads to better physical performance. there are still systems that manufacture QBs that take longer to develop but with NFL caliber system college programs, teams in the NFL can win with young players.

Every prep JV team in the NY area anyway can watch the tape of his game and that of his next and last opponent on his computer.The physcial training and nutrition are superior.And you cannot discount Madden, as crazy as it sounds. These kids know what Cover 2, zone and man to man are, gaps, routes, seams, etc. And further what ever sport you kid plays that's pretty much it. The time any one sport typically takes precludes any other sport. You cannot play football and baseball. These kids specialize very early. May be young players cannot physically execute such complicated things but they know what they are well before ever getting anywhere near the NFL.

What I found distressing today above evertyhing else was Geno sitting there with that blank hangdog look that Sanchez always got and nobody talking to him. We know that is not going to work if the Jets don't talk to him all game.

Every prep JV team in the NY area anyway can watch the tape of his game and that of his next and last opponent on his computer.The physcial training and nutrition are superior.And you cannot discount Madden, as crazy as it sounds. These kids know what Cover 2, zone and man to man are, gaps, routes, seams, etc. And further what ever sport you kid plays that's pretty much it. The time any one sport typically takes precludes any other sport. You cannot play football and baseball. These kids specialize very early. May be young players cannot physically execute such complicated things but they know what they are well before ever getting anywhere near the NFL.

What I found distressing today above evertyhing else was Geno sitting there with that blank hangdog look that Sanchez always got and nobody talking to him. We know that is not going to work if the Jets don't talk to him all game.

This is why there is a huge question mark about Geno.   You are right in a lot of things these kids have known since they were kids.  Executing might be different, but being tackled in the end zone and switching the ball for some unknown reason in the end zone are mistakes you try not to make as an 8 year old kid.   As an NFL rookie, making those mistakes over and over again is a bad bad sign.

This is why there is a huge question mark about Geno.   You are right in a lot of things these kids have known since they were kids.  Executing might be different, but being tackled in the end zone and switching the ball for some unknown reason in the end zone are mistakes you try not to make as an 8 year old kid.   As an NFL rookie, making those mistakes over and over again is a bad bad sign.

I completely agree. Thank you.

You can be the best well prepare kid coming out of college but if the game move too fast for you there is nothing you can do but learn the rhythm of the game at your pace.

The way I see it the only well prepared QB I seen coming out of college are the running one, read option and I think it is because they make thing happen with their legs FIRST. 

Another thing to consider is that we really have to do away with "anointing" players in my opinion. How many times did Dierdorf exclaim on the broadcast today that Geno Smith is the future? On what basis is he saying this? Whether or not Geno is the future remains to be seen, you can't just pick a name out of a hat and decide that that person will be the future QB, that position has to be EARNED, not GIVEN.

You can be the best well prepare kid coming out of college but if the game move too fast for you there is nothing you can do but learn the rhythm of the game at your pace.

The way I see it the only well prepared QB I seen coming out of college are the running one, read option and I think it is because they make thing happen with their legs FIRST. 

You can say that to a point.  Rookies will make mistakes and plays where you think what the hell is going on.  But Geno isn't really making those kinds of mistakes.  A QB who runs as soon as he feels pressure is something they need to improve upon. And that's not just running QBs.  A QB who throws the ball into traffic as soon as he thinks he hears a rusher, is something they can improve upon.  Not everybody improves, but you can work on those skills and issues.    Geno makes mistakes that high school football QBs aren't supposed to make.   That's not the pace of the game or issues to work on, thats a serious flaw in the way the guy plays the game.   Can those things be improved?  Who knows.

Everybody said the kid is raw.  Raw doesn't mean he'll become good or great and it doesn't mean he will be a failure.  But after 4 games he doesn't really seem to be improving on the basics of holding onto the ball or not being tackled in the end zone.    And turnovers are turnovers.  Some guys will always throw more than others.  Drew Brees and Peyton Manning have a ton of INTs over the years.  But they also have a ton of TDs.    Favre was similar.   Rookie QBs you expect turnovers.  But you hope they can balance that out with TDs and so on.  Geno hasn't looked like a guy who throws a bunch of TDs.   

I hope he improves, but I just don't know.  There is nothing I see that says,  wow look at that.  He makes nice throws now and again, but most of the time he just looks like a guy who isn't a very good QB.  It's only 4 games into his career, so who knows.  The problem most of us have is we just saw similar qualities in Sanchez.  And we are where we are now.   Nobody wants to go through that again. Especially considering this team isn't as good.

I dont know...4 years in is when the light seems to stay on.  So I think there some merit to that statement.

However, I dont think it takes 4 years to make an analysis of a player.  2 years is typically enough, if you know what I mean.

Plus, I think its different for each player. 

I agree, but in a different way, the defense has to also "Read" against a Read Option QB using that system, this slows down the Speed of the game, and makes it easier for the QB's to make the right decisions because IF the QB knows how to make the right "Read" most of the time, the D has to respect it, and freeze, this buys the young QB a lot of extra time to make a decision, but like most say you can't live on that, you can use it to buy the time it takes to get used to the speed of the NFL, hopefully before you get hurt, and abandon the running aspect on design from your skill. Only a few guys have these talents, we just happen to have 3, or 4 of them at the same time which is usually rare.

It may not be as long as four years any more, but it sure as hell can't be four games.  Do people even remember what Peyton and a lot of these guys looked like their first year in the league? Atrocious, but showed a lot of promise.

Peyton's first four games in the league: 81-146, 55% for 992 yards, 3 tds 11 ints.  

Geno's first four games in the league: 78-136, 57% for 1090 yards, 4 tds  8 ints (3 fumbles) (+1 rushing td)

As much as it sucks, turnovers with rookies happen, but what you need to look for is development and signs that he can eventually become something.  The Colts stood by Peyton, as did other teams and their rookie QBs, through their 28 int years, because they showed promise.  Comparing Sanchez last year to Geno this year is unfair, because the only reason you put up with mistakes like these is because you see development and ability to improve; that's not something you deal with in a 4th year.  You hope he can improve throughout the year, and he has to if he wants to have a future in this league, but wanting to axe a guy after a quarter of a season when we are 2-2 seems a bit much, even for ny fans.

Another thing to consider is that we really have to do away with "anointing" players in my opinion. How many times did Dierdorf exclaim on the broadcast today that Geno Smith is the future? On what basis is he saying this? Whether or not Geno is the future remains to be seen, you can't just pick a name out of a hat and decide that that person will be the future QB, that position has to be EARNED, not GIVEN.

I assume a big part of the notion that Smith is "the future" has to do with his being a high draft pick.  Putting aside that he was a second and not first round pick (and all that means in terms of past success of second round picks of quarterbacks), the first thing that should be acknowledged is that for all that kind of investment is involved, Smith is no guarantee to be successful, whether a second round pick or wherever.

He didn't outplay Sanchez, had one good game against a depleted Buffalo secondary while Holmes had a great game and the Buffalo D could not stop Powell.  Hey I'd love it if Smith played lights out, and kept his job and won games.

But right now he is not assured of being the future.

John elway and peyton manning both took their lumps from game one on. they both sucked in their first few games in 83 and 98

i am officially sick and tired of Jets fans comparing Geno Smith to Peyton Manning. And Andrew Luck. And John Elway. These are once in a generation prospects. Geno was a 2nd round pick. He's more like Kellen Clemens than Peyton Manning. Or how about Quincy Carter as a comp? 

Archived