Cimini: Double Coverage

flgreen

Double Coverage: Patriots at Jets
October, 17, 2013
OCT 17
12:00
PM ET
By Rich Cimini and Mike Reiss | ESPNNewYork.com
nfl_brady_cromartie_b1_576.jpgUSA TODAY Sports, AP PhotoTom Brady mustered just 185 passing yards in a Week 2 win over Antonio Cromartie's Jets.

The New York Jets and New England Patriots renew their heated rivalry Sunday at MetLife Stadium, where the Jets (3-3) hope to jump back into the AFC East race by stealing a much-needed win. 

The Jets are tired of getting pushed around by the Patriots, having lost five straight meetings, so their theme this week is "Unfinished Business." They felt they should've won the previous meeting, a 13-10 loss in Week 2, and they see this as an opportunity to exact revenge. Of course, the Patriots (5-1) have heard this before from the Jets. They stay out of the war of words; they just keep winning. 

ESPN.com Jets reporter Rich Cimini and Patriots reporter Mike Reiss break down the matchup. 

Cimini: Mike, I guess we should start with the last-second win over the New Orleans SaintsTom Brady was marvelous on the final drive, as usual, but it wasn't a vintage Brady game. He was sacked five times and finished with a 74.7 passer rating. Is he still having chemistry issues with his receivers, as we noticed in Week 2? 

Reiss: Yes, Rich, it remains a work in progress as the Patriots are among the league leaders in dropped passes. The overall unsteadiness has had a trickle-down effect on some of Brady’s decision-making and accuracy, in part because he just doesn't have that assurance at all times of where his receivers are going to be. But the end of that game could be a breakthrough because they had little margin for error and still came through. And before that, they got the running game going with Stevan Ridley, and I think that’s going to be key this week. The Patriots didn't run it well in the 13-10 win over the Jets on Sept. 12 -- let’s give the Jets' defense some credit for that -- so that’s high on the priority list this week. How are the Jets different, on both offense and defense, since that meeting? 

New England Patriots at New York Jets 
Sunday, 1 p.m. ET

PickCenter in.gif

Which team wins this AFC East matchup?

Cimini: First of all, Geno Smith is more comfortable at quarterback. I know you can't tell from his stats this season (10 interceptions), but he has been making better decisions over the past eight quarters. This will be a huge test to see how much he's grown since Week 2. 

Their problem is, the supporting cast isn't the same. Tight end Kellen Winslow is serving a PED suspension, wide receiver Santonio Holmes is a major question mark with a balky hamstring and wide receiver Clyde Gates is done for the year. Jeremy Kerley is back -- he didn't play in the first Jets-Pats game because of a concussion -- but I don't think he's the type of player who will change a game. I think the Jets will feature the running game, using Bilal Powell and Chris Ivory. That's probably the best way to attack the Patriots, who won't have the big fella -- Vince Wilfork -- or Jerod Mayo. How much will the Patriots miss those guys? 

Reiss: These losses hit at the heart of the Patriots’ defense. In baseball, it's often said that a team wants to be strong up the middle, and the same could be said for a football team. For the Patriots, Wilfork and Mayo are their "middle" men, the glue guys who play almost every snap. These are big losses, about as big as they get on defense. Then you consider that cornerbackAqib Talib, arguably their best defender over the first six weeks of the season, also didn't finish Sunday's win over the Saints (hip injury), and it's a banged-up unit. But as we know, no one is going to feel sorry for a team with injuries in the NFL. 

I think one of the big themes this week is that Bill Belichick's team-building philosophy, and the value he puts on depth, is in the spotlight. People often ask why he generally trades down in the draft instead of up. Or why the team might make hard financial decisions in free agency that make key players sometimes defect. This is a main reason: He believes in the importance of depth and the complete team, from player No. 1 to player No. 61 on the back end of the practice squad. They'll need them all to overcome these losses. 

As for the Jets' defense, I know the Patriots respect the line and the ability to stop the run. But I was surprised to see just three takeaways for the Jets this season. That doesn't sound like a Rex Ryan defense, at least what I think of with his creative schemes and disruption. What's going on with that unit? 

Patriots at Jets: Stat of the Week

That's the Jets' total of sacks (20) and tackles for loss (26), the most in the NFL.

Cimini: To quote Ryan, it's shocking and disappointing. They have one interception and one forced fumble (the third takeaway was produced on special teams). They haven't made an interception since Week 1, a span of 207 passes without a pick. Why the drought? A few reasons. For one, the Jets haven't had too many leads and, as you know, it's easier to force turnovers when you're playing with a lead. Secondly, the secondary has dropped off. 

They miss Darrelle Revis, no doubt, and Antonio Cromartie isn't playing as well as he did last season. No. 1 pick Dee Milliner (hamstring) hasn't been able to get on the field, and there's no one else in the secondary with any sort of playmaking ability. They're not even coming close to interceptions, as the DBs have combined for only 11 pass breakups. The odd thing is, the front seven is generating decent pressure, but teams have adapted to the improved pass rush by throwing a lot of quick screens and short passes. How do you think the Patriots will attack the Jets? 

Reiss: This is now primarily a three- or four-receiver offense, and they are coming off an up-tempo attack against the Saints, as they ran 50 snaps in the first half. I could see the same thing against the Jets. Part of the reason I think they went up-tempo was to negate some of the pre-snap disguise and scheming that a Rob Ryan-coached defense can be effective with. The Jets' defense, under Rex Ryan, seems to have some similar concepts. In addition to that, they know they have to run the ball better than they did last time. What do you see as the key?

Cimini: This might seem like a cliché, Mike, but it's all about the turnovers. Under Ryan, the Jets are 3-0 against the Patriots when they're plus or even in turnover ratio, and 0-7 when it's a negative margin. Much of this burden falls on Geno Smith. He has thrown at least two interceptions in four of six starts. If he makes it five out of seven, I don't see how the Jets can win this game. 

Under Ryan, the Jets are 3-0 against the Patriots when they're plus or even in turnover ratio, and 0-7 when it's a negative margin.

Wow. I actually didn't know this, but it's impressive. Rex would mop the floor with the Pats annually if he had a QB that didn't turn the ball over incessantly.

It's pretty astounding that this is true, and yet hasn't led to more turnovers for us.

Unlucky I guess?

yes unlucky.

the defense forced at least 4 fumbles that weren't recovered, if memory serves. (Edelman & EJ Manuel were reversed, ROddy White (which Julio scooped up and advanced for another 20 yards) and Cro had FF against BUF that went right out of bounds)

the defense forced at least 5 fumbles that weren't recovered, if memory serves. (Edelman, EJ Manuel, ROddy White (which Julio scooped up) and Cro has two FF that went right out of bounds)

I'm aware they've created turnover opportunities, but haven't converted them. That's why I said "unlucky?"

Can't put all that on no skill, a lot of it is getting the lucky bounce. The Pats have built a dynasty on lucky bounces (and Vinatierri clutch kicks).

I'm aware they've created turnover opportunities, but haven't converted them. That's why I said "unlucky?"

Can't put all that on no skill, a lot of it is getting the lucky bounce. The Pats have built a dynasty on lucky bounces (and Vinatierri clutch kicks).

I'd go with unlucky. On one of those fumbles Cro caused that went out of bounds, my dad actually commented that if it had been any other team, the ball would have bounced back to the CB and been returned for a TD.

I think the turnovers will come. This kind of stuff tends to even out and our line is good, so we should start getting the TOs eventually.

It's pretty astounding that this is true, and yet hasn't led to more turnovers for us.

Unlucky I guess?

See; Ryan, Rex, its his fault. 

yes unlucky.

the defense forced at least 4 fumbles that weren't recovered, if memory serves. (Edelman & EJ Manuel were reversed, ROddy White (which Julio scooped up and advanced for another 20 yards) and Cro had FF against BUF that went right out of bounds)

Sanders fumbled last week, ball sat at a defenders feet for a second or 2.  They've dropped a couple picks this season too.

Secondary sucks and there are a lot of new starters on this D and the ball hasnt bounced their way.  Dont expect it to change this week.  The Pats dont really turn the ball over.  They are 3rd in the AFC in the give/takeaway category.  +5.  Jets are 2nd to worst behind the Texans at -11.  Its actually astonishing they're 3-3 at that number.  Probably got something to do with how bad Rex sucks.

I'd go with unlucky. On one of those fumbles Cro caused that went out of bounds, my dad actually commented that if it had been any other team, the ball would have bounced back to the CB and been returned for a TD.

I think the turnovers will come. This kind of stuff tends to even out and our line is good, so we should start getting the TOs eventually.

Law of averages, I'm banking on it this weekend tbh.

See; Ryan, Rex, its his fault. 

Sanders fumbled last week, ball sat at a defenders feet for a second or 2.  They've dropped a couple picks this season too.

Secondary sucks and there are a lot of new starters on this D and the ball hasnt bounced their way.  Dont expect it to change this week.  The Pats dont really turn the ball over.  They are 3rd in the AFC in the give/takeaway category.  +5.  Jets are 2nd to worst behind the Texans at -11.  Its actually astonishing they're 3-3 at that number.  Probably got something to do with how bad Rex sucks.

Smith has 14 of those -11

Double Coverage: Patriots at Jets
October, 17, 2013

Cimini: To quote Ryan, it's shocking and disappointing. They have one interception and one forced fumble (the third takeaway was produced on special teams). They haven't made an interception since Week 1, a span of 207 passes without a pick. Why the drought? A few reasons. For one, the Jets haven't had too many leads and, as you know, it's easier to force turnovers when you're playing with a lead. Secondly, the secondary has dropped off. 

They miss Darrelle Revis, no doubt, and Antonio Cromartie isn't playing as well as he did last season. No. 1 pick Dee Milliner (hamstring) hasn't been able to get on the field, and there's no one else in the secondary with any sort of playmaking ability. They're not even coming close to interceptions, as the DBs have combined for only 11 pass breakups. The odd thing is, the front seven is generating decent pressure, but teams have adapted to the improved pass rush by throwing a lot of quick screens and short passes. How do you think the Patriots will attack the Jets? 

Does he even watch the games? Walls has had two hit his hands in strides, they've just been inexplicably dropped, and another one on an overthrow where he was mugged and didn't get an Offensive PI call.  These things will most likely regress to their mean and we'll start getting a few more bounce our way.

Does he even watch the games? Walls has had two hit his hands in strides, they've just been inexplicably dropped, and another one on an overthrow where he was mugged and didn't get an Offensive PI call.  These things will most likely regress to their mean and we'll start getting a few more bounce our way.

If you really think about it, it could not be going more of a complete mirror image of the way things went Sanchez's rookie year.  The Jets were beyond lucky with the insane number of would-be picks Sanchez was throwing straight to defenders that were getting dropped, plus fumbles left and right that the Jets were having a very high recovery rate on.  Now it's going the exact opposite way for this year's offense, with opposing teams taking advantage of every turnover opportunity, while the Jets' defense is the one who cannot catch an easy INT or recover a fumble if their lives depended on it.

Archived