Would anyone have believed me.....

Lupz27

If I told you after week 7 the Jets would control their own destiny for a playoff birth?  Normally this is really stupid to bring up after only 7 weeks (it still is), but I thought it would be something fun to play with considering how bad all the NFL so called "media experts" predicted the Jets would be.  Yes we are tied with the Chargers for the final wild card spot, but if we both win out the Jets win the tie breaker on better record VS common opponents Jets would be 4-1, to the Chargers 3-2 if both teams win out, and would by the tie breaker because they would have the same Confrence record.

Long way to go, but were almost half way through the season, and nobody, but a few optimistic Jets fans saw this team in this positon, and were a young team all over the field, odds are they should only get better from here if the coaching staff does their jobs.

It is very possible the Jets are 4-5 heading into the bye week, but that is not as bad as it would seem considering we are 4-3.  Following the bye week all the Jets need to do is handle their business against the Bills, Dolphins, and their home games, from there it will come down to hopefully going into Carolina week 15, and winning a huge game, and then the Jets could realistcally walk into Miami week 17 at 9-6 with a win, and in scenario, and possibly a win, and win the division scenario if the Patriots continue to play as bad as they have the first 7 games, and stop lucking into wins, they could easily be 2-5 instead of 5-2, but that goes for the Jets, and a lot of other teams in this league as it seams every game is decided on the last drive, and some conspiracy theorists might think this is scripted by the NFL, and their officials, but it is what it is, parody is what the NFL wants, and they achieved it!

There's not a single game (outside of the Raiders coming east at 1 PM) remaining on the schedule that I feel comfortable pencilling in as a W.  Ultimately we look like an 8-8 team with our "Take every other week off" approach.  Which definitely beats our preseason expectations and maybe saves Rex's job if it happens.  Anything better is gravy.

There's not a single game (outside of the Raiders coming east at 1 PM) remaining on the schedule that I feel comfortable pencilling in as a W. Ultimately we look like an 8-8 team with our "Take every other week off" approach. Which definitely beats our preseason expectations and maybe saves Rex's job if it happens. Anything better is gravy.

Conversely, other than the Saints game, I don't know if there's a game on the schedule that I'd call a definite loss, either, because Geno is so up and down. When he's on, I'm not sure he can't out up 24-27 points, which puts the team in good position to hold on. Of course, when he's off, there's always the opportunity to lose by three TDs.

QB = an unready rookie QB who is supposedly mopey and arrogant. Backup is an UDFA we cut last year.  The UDFA's backup is Brady Quinn.

RB = Bilal Powell and two guys who can never stay healthy.  One of them misses the first month then gets injured after like his 10th touch.

WR = one great game (statistically) in between invisibility and injury from Santonio Holmes.  Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates, Jeremy Kerley, Ben Obamanu, and David Nelson round out the group.

TE = hobbly Kellen Winslow, who can't even practice with the team daily.  Jeff Cumberland.  Konrad Reuland.

LT = Brick again not going to have a stellar season

LG = competition is so bad that Vladimir Ducasse actually wins the starting job

C = Mangold, like Brick also not going to have his best season.

RG = replace Moore with Willie Colon, who will be unchanged from his penalty-every-game past before his eventual, annual injury

RT = Austin Howard

DL (overall) = will be VERY good at stopping the run.  Will get decent but not elite pressure, and even that is inconsistent

LB = moving Coples to this crew, all 285 lbs of him.  After he heals from a broken leg.  Also bringing back slow Pace, slow Harris, and Demario Davis who had shown little last year or pre-season this year

CB = no Revis.  Rookie will get burned and then get injured.  Basically Wilson and Cromartie.  The latter will be injured or distracted and will get burned in losses if he's put on an island.

S = Let pro bowl Landry go.  Sign the other (sucky) Landry, and start Antonio Allen next to him.

Oh yeah -- and we'll be installing our 3rd different offense in 3 seasons.

What would you really think of this team's prospects? I mean, really.  On the eve of this season most football people and fans saw this obvious salary-dump season to finally pay the piper for Tannenbaum's mess - year 1 of a 2-year rebuild - and generally ranked us 30th-32nd in the league.  We had a 5-game stretch before the bye week (the one we're in right now) that had 0-5 written all over it.  The only ones who saw this roster and said we were a 7 to 9 win team (like the dooshie in the post above this) are those who want to use that obvious lie later on ("I had them at 8-8 give or take a game.  They only won 7 games, so therefore fire Rex Ryan.").  It is transparent.  I mean, if this is a .500 team based purely on its roster, then that laughably suggests half the teams have worse ones.  No offense on one side other than 2 (frankly, now overrated) offensive linemen, learning a new system, and no secondary on the other side and that's a .500 team on paper.  Right.

Fast-forward to the end of the first 7 games.  We got some lucky breaks, but also got some unlucky ones.  With the dust settled we find the Jets at 4-3.  Already accomplished the lower-end of the expected 4-6 win total, and there are still 9 games left (including the entire supposedly "easier" leg of it after the bye week).  There are serious holes on this team and even where there isn't a hole we have players often performing as though we have holes at their positions that need addressing in the spring.  

Anyone who is unhappy with these results, in a season like this, just doesn't like football.  They only like sure things and that's not what the game is.  The rest of us can enjoy this thrilling ride, where we're 4-3 through the first 7 games of a season where, being honest, from a GM/roster-building perspective we weren't even trying this year.

Love it, love it, love it.

Jets always controlled their own destiny for playoff. From wk 1. Every team does. It makes sense when you reach the last 5-6 wks of the season before talking about something like this. With 10 wks to go, any team can pretty much still make it if they win all 10. Even the Jags. Yes, that's how stupid this sounds.

Conversely, other than the Saints game, I don't know if there's a game on the schedule that I'd call a definite loss, either, because Geno is so up and down. When he's on, I'm not sure he can't out up 24-27 points, which puts the team in good position to hold on. Of course, when he's off, there's always the opportunity to lose by three TDs.

So if we get the Good Geno VS the Saints (game is played at home), does that still qualify for a definite loss?  I know we don't have Revis like we did in 09, but the Jets D in NO gave them a run for their money, and as bad as our secondary has played compared to that 09 team, our front 7 has played much better than the 09 front 7, and that Saints team won the super bowl.

I still think even with the good Geno it's a loss, but you seem to like Geno much more than I do right now so, maybe you might think otherwise.

There's not a single game (outside of the Raiders coming east at 1 PM) remaining on the schedule that I feel comfortable pencilling in as a W.  Ultimately we look like an 8-8 team with our "Take every other week off" approach.  Which definitely beats our preseason expectations and maybe saves Rex's job if it happens.  Anything better is gravy.

We went 4-3 against the toughest part of our schedule that will get tougher the next 2 weeks, and if by some miracle they come out of it 5-4, why can't they walk away from the MUCH easier part of the schedule 5-2?  The combined record of the teams the Jets play the last 7 games is 20-25, compare that to the first 9 games 25-24 through the first 7 games, including 2 teams in Atlanta, and Pitt who were not supposed to be 2 win teams after 7 weeks, and are both coming off wins.

My point is I don't think the "Gravy" is far fetched to get to put on top this year.

QB = an unready rookie QB who is supposedly mopey and arrogant. Backup is an UDFA we cut last year. The UDFA's backup is Brady Quinn.

RB = Bilal Powell and two guys who can never stay healthy. One of them misses the first month then gets injured after like his 10th touch.

WR = one great game (statistically) in between invisibility and injury from Santonio Holmes. Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates, Jeremy Kerley, Ben Obamanu, and David Nelson round out the group.

TE = hobbly Kellen Winslow, who can't even practice with the team daily. Jeff Cumberland. Konrad Reuland.

RG = replace Moore with Willie Colon, who will be unchanged from his penalty-every-game past before his eventual, annual injury

RT = Austin Howard

DL (overall) = will be VERY good at stopping the run. Will get decent but not elite pressure, and even that is inconsistent

LB = moving Coples to this crew, all 285 lbs of him. After he heals from a broken leg. Also bringing back slow Pace, slow Harris, and Demario Davis who had shown little last year or pre-season this year

CB = no Revis. Rookie will get burned and then get injured. Basically Wilson and Cromartie. The latter will be injured or distracted and will get burned in losses if he's put on an island.

S = Let pro bowl Landry go. Sign the other (sucky) Landry, and start Antonio Allen next to him.

What would you really think of this team's prospects? I mean, really. On the eve of this season most football people and fans saw this obvious salary-dump season to finally pay the piper for Tannenbaum's mess - year 1 of a 2-year rebuild - and generally ranked us 30th-32nd in the league. We had a 5-game stretch before the bye week (the one we're in right now) that had 0-5 written all over it. The only ones who saw this roster and said we were a 7 to 9 win team (like the dooshie in the post above this) are those who want to use that obvious lie later on ("I had them at 8-8 give or take a game. They only won 7 games, so therefore fire Rex Ryan."). It is transparent. I mean, if this is a .500 team based purely on its roster, then that laughably suggests half the teams have worse ones. No offense on one side other than 2 (frankly, now overrated) offensive linemen, learning a new system, and no secondary on the other side and that's a .500 team on paper. Right.

Fast-forward to the end of the first 7 games. We got some lucky breaks, but also got some unlucky ones. With the dust settled we find the Jets at 4-3. Already accomplished the lower-end of the expected 4-6 win total, and there are still 9 games left (including the entire supposedly "easier" leg of it after the bye week). There are serious holes on this team and even where there isn't a hole we have players often performing as though we have holes at their positions that need addressing in the spring.

Anyone who is unhappy with these results, in a season like this, just doesn't like football. They only like sure things and that's not what the game is. The rest of us can enjoy this thrilling ride, where we're 4-3 through the first 7 games of a season where, being honest, from a GM/roster-building perspective we weren't even trying this year.

You dick. You're saying that I predicted a 7-9 season--in June--as part of some devious plot to--seven months later-- justify firing Rex Ryan?

So if we get the Good Geno VS the Saints (game is played at home), does that still qualify for a definite loss? I know we don't have Revis like we did in 09, but the Jets D in NO gave them a run for their money, and as bad as our secondary has played compared to that 09 team, our front 7 has played much better than the 09 front 7, and that Saints team won the super bowl.

I still think even with the good Geno it's a loss, but you seem to like Geno much more than I do right now so, maybe you might think otherwise.

I think Good Geno can generate 24 points. I think they'll need 30+ to beat the Saints.

Jets always controlled their own destiny for playoff. From wk 1. Every team does. It makes sense when you reach the last 5-6 wks of the season before talking about something like this. With 10 wks to go, any team can pretty much still make it if they win all 10. Even the Jags. Yes, that's how stupid this sounds.

I am speaking in mathmatics not pretty much scenario's, and yes I know it is early, and I stated that, I am just trying to generate some positivity around here after a huge divisional win, even thou a lot of the posters around here have acted like we lost by 45 points yesterday.  Like Sperm said, if you can't wake up today, and be happy about where this team is today you just don't like football.

You dick. You're saying that I predicted a 7-9 season--in June--as part of some devious plot to--seven months later-- justify firing Rex Ryan?

Yes. And I think it is transparent that you actually expected less from a sub-par roster, coached by someone you clearly think has a double-digit I.Q.

:D

Still don;t believe you.  Take it one game at a time and hope for the best. 

This.

The minute we start believing, the whole thing will go up in smoke.

One game at a time. In the meantime, I just need to keep eating lots of leftover pizza (this year's ritual during games we've won) and putting the little pink "my first Jets shirt" that I bought up here in Boston, on my little girl because it's been good luck on the weekends where she's worn it for the game. 

QB = an unready rookie QB who is supposedly mopey and arrogant. Backup is an UDFA we cut last year.  The UDFA's backup is Brady Quinn.

RB = Bilal Powell and two guys who can never stay healthy.  One of them misses the first month then gets injured after like his 10th touch.

WR = one great game (statistically) in between invisibility and injury from Santonio Holmes.  Stephen Hill, Clyde Gates, Jeremy Kerley, Ben Obamanu, and David Nelson round out the group.

TE = hobbly Kellen Winslow, who can't even practice with the team daily.  Jeff Cumberland.  Konrad Reuland.

RT = Austin Howard

DL (overall) = will be VERY good at stopping the run.  Will get decent but not elite pressure, and even that is inconsistent

LB = moving Coples to this crew, all 285 lbs of him.  After he heals from a broken leg.  Also bringing back slow Pace, slow Harris, and Demario Davis who had shown little last year or pre-season this year

CB = no Revis.  Rookie will get burned and then get injured.  Basically Wilson and Cromartie.  The latter will be injured or distracted and will get burned in losses if he's put on an island.

S = Let pro bowl Landry go.  Sign the other (sucky) Landry, and start Antonio Allen next to him.

What would you really think of this team's prospects? I mean, really.  On the eve of this season most football people and fans saw this obvious salary-dump season to finally pay the piper for Tannenbaum's mess - year 1 of a 2-year rebuild - and generally ranked us 30th-32nd in the league.  We had a 5-game stretch before the bye week (the one we're in right now) that had 0-5 written all over it.  The only ones who saw this roster and said we were a 7 to 9 win team (like the dooshie in the post above this) are those who want to use that obvious lie later on ("I had them at 8-8 give or take a game.  They only won 7 games, so therefore fire Rex Ryan.").  It is transparent.  I mean, if this is a .500 team based purely on its roster, then that laughably suggests half the teams have worse ones.  No offense on one side other than 2 (frankly, now overrated) offensive linemen, learning a new system, and no secondary on the other side and that's a .500 team on paper.  Right.

Fast-forward to the end of the first 7 games.  We got some lucky breaks, but also got some unlucky ones.  With the dust settled we find the Jets at 4-3.  Already accomplished the lower-end of the expected 4-6 win total, and there are still 9 games left (including the entire supposedly "easier" leg of it after the bye week).  There are serious holes on this team and even where there isn't a hole we have players often performing as though we have holes at their positions that need addressing in the spring.  

Anyone who is unhappy with these results, in a season like this, just doesn't like football.  They only like sure things and that's not what the game is.  The rest of us can enjoy this thrilling ride, where we're 4-3 through the first 7 games of a season where, being honest, from a GM/roster-building perspective we weren't even trying this year.

As I've explained it to my wife, there are guys that start all over both sides of the ball for the Jets, that wouldn't have jobs on most teams... and they are playing above .500 football. 

What's not to love about it?

This.

The minute we start believing, the whole thing will go up in smoke.

One game at a time. In the meantime, I just need to keep eating lots of leftover pizza (this year's ritual during games we've won) and putting the little pink "my first Jets shirt" that I bought up here in Boston, on my little girl because it's been good luck on the weekends where she's worn it for the game. 

That's awesome.  Some day when you got a minute you will have to explain what exactly LEFTOVER pizza is.  Pretty sure I never saw one.

Archived