Jets Had Ball for 46 Minutes Yesterday, win in OT. How About That Defense?

Lizard King

Geno really stepped up. Sure they took the ball out of his hands on the GW drive but i think a few roll outs would have got us there too. Cant overlook the ROOKIES performance. He is getting better and the Defense sees that. I feel like they will only get better if continues to improve

Save for Geno's Pick 6, which was negated later by Allen's pick 6, this defense gave up 21 points in 15 minutes. Discuss.

Can't discuss without the rest of the equation, IE how many possesions did the Patriots have the ball, how many 3 and outs, how many scoring drives, how long those scoring drives were, both plays, and TOP, I might be missing something to.

Save for Geno's Pick 6, which was negated later by Allen's pick 6, this defense gave up 21 points in 15 minutes. Discuss.

Patriots 1st scoring drive result TD, 10 plays, 80 yards, 3:45.

Patriots 2nd scoring drive result TD, 6 plays, 28 yards, 2:34.

Patriots 3rd scoring drive result FG, 10 plays 62 yards, 3:32.

Patriots 4th scoring drive result FG, 12 plays 66 yards, 1:56.

So basically on 13 Patriot offensive possesions the Jets defense had ONE bad series on the field all afternoon against one of the greatest QB's, and HC's in NFL history.  Not to mention 9 of the key contributors, and 7 of the starters have only played 2 full seasons, and 7 games, or less in the NFL, and one of them being a locked out year with no offseason activities. 

Not to shabby, Not to shabby!

Um.... time of possession indicates that they played good defense. 

Not always, I remember a Colts, Dolphins game where the Colts beat the Dolphins like 41-38 on a last minute TD, and the Colts only had around 15 minutes of TOP.

It can mean you played good defense, or played great ball control offense, or like the Jets case this week BOTH.  Or it could mean you played great ball control offense, and some of the worst defense in the league like the Dolphins did that day.

Not always, I remember a Colts, Dolphins game where the Colts beat the Dolphins like 41-38 on a last minute TD, and the Colts only had around 15 minutes of TOP.

It can mean you played good defense, or played great ball control offense, or like the Jets case this week BOTH.

It can also mean that the team you played against thows constantly and tries to rush the D, so they get a bunch of plays in without using much clock.  

It can also mean that the team you played against thows constantly and tries to rush the D, so they get a bunch of plays in without using much clock.  

Sort of, that is the down fall when that strategy fails, but the actual outcome of that strategy when succesful usually means you have the ball more than the opponent in TOP, and by a huge margin in palys ran, and a blow out on the scoreboard.

I am not a big fan of time of possession statistic considering the different ways and how quickly a team can score in the NFL.  The Jets dominated time of possession and were one Gronkowski drop away from losing the game.  So at the end of the day, I do not get much from it.  If you want to say our defense played well then so be it.  That would also say something about the offense, and given the fact we needed over time to win, it should say something that is not so positive about the O....

Archived