It's Baby Gronk Time

flgreen

Jets will give Saints a taste of 'Baby Gronk' (Zach Sudfeld)

Cut by the Patriots earlier this season, tight end Zach Sudfeld is now with the Jets and ready for a bigger role this Sunday. (Daniel Wallace/Tampa Bay Times/MCT)

Kristian Dyer/NJ.com By Kristian Dyer/NJ.com

on October 31, 2013 at 4:35 PM, updated October 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM

FLORHAM PARK – On Sunday, the New York Jets are set to unleash "Baby Gronk," the 6-foot-7-inch, 260-pound tight end who hasn't played much this season but is set for some significant snaps this weekend.

With the Jets down Kellen Winslow due to suspension and Jeff Cumberland unlikely to play due to a concussion, Zach Sudfeld and Konrad Reuland have moved to the top of the depth chart at the tight end position.

An undrafted rookie free agent out of Nevada, Sudfeld signed with the New England Patriots where he earned the nickname "Baby Gronk" after pass catching tight end Rob Gronkowski. But he never lived up to the nickname and was cut at the end of preseason. The Jets signed him the next day.

Now in New York, he can use his long frame to stretch the field and finally will have the chance to showcase his ability.

"Absolutely, I'm very excited for Sunday and do whatever I can to help the team and do my job," Sudfeld told NJ.com. "Whatever that role might be, whatever I'm called on to do, I want to do it. I do think I can add something to the offense and utilize my pass-catching ability down the field."

Sudfeld had two catches last week for 10 yards against the Cincinnati Bengals – both receptions came after Cumberland had left the game. But with Winslow unavailable to play and Cumberland likely out, Sudfeld should see a significant amount of reps this weekend against the New Orleans Saints.

With an expanded role ahead for at least this weekend, Sudfeld can make a statement that he deserves to stick around. He also has the chance to show that the Patriots made a mistake in releasing him.

"That's definitely a natural response but at this point, it isn't about me but it is about helping the Jets win the game," Sudfeld said. "But anything personal? No. It's about helping my team win on Sunday."

When your a roster bottom feeder chances don't come to often.  If you get an opportunity to start, or at least be a major contributor you better make your shot count.

Cumberland and Winslow will both be back after the bye.  if this guys got anything he better show it now, or he will be unemployed very shortly. 

Kid dropped because of health issues, just like Gronk did. Obviously not as talented as he or Graham, but at 6'7 260lbs combined with a 4.7 forty, he actually has a chance to contribute. Nevada preached blocking so he can be any every down guy. His hammy and playbook issues were the only reasons pats didn't keep him: rumors were that they were really hoping to stash him on the practice squad.

Archived