Rex vs. Bellichick Record Comparison: 78 Games Each

Lizard King

You are eliminating from the realm of possibility that every other QB is, in fact, worse.  Publicly, Rex has not been so supportive of Geno like he was with Sanchez (by a long shot).  If MM said to him, "Rex we MUST play Simms or at least give him a try," Rex hasn't shown that he is so loyal to Geno.  If anything, during the season he's done more complaining about him than praising him (in his own way, like saying, "Yeah, we keep saying we have to cut down on the turnovers, it's time to stop just talking about it" or something like that).

But not going to whom over the years with Sanchez (as maddening as it was for me individually)? Tebow? Brunell? McElroy? If there was some other actual start-worthy QB on the team then you could better make that argument. 

And this year, it could be that Simms just stinks and all has in his arsenal is arm strength.  Just because it wasn't displayed on TV doesn't mean the team doesn't see it week after week in practice.  If they don't bring him back next season, and in particular if MM is still the OC, then I have to believe they ALL (not just Rex) think he's useless garbage and nothing more.

One of the criticisms we hear about REX all the time is why doesnt he have a "legitimate" back up, and of course the Rex supporters immediately blame the GM for this, but it is my opinion that REX just sets his loyalty on one player, as he did with SANCHEZ, so rather than have a reliable backup to go to, when the MEDIA, the FANS, etc. are screaming, he simply has a woeful backup to use an excuse to keep his guy in their no matter how pathetic they are.

His undieing loyalty to his "old" players, and guys like Sanchez is probably his worst trait among the many he has.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the criticisms we hear about REX all the time is why doesnt he have a "legitimate" back up, and of course the Rex supporters immediately blame the GM for this, but it is my opinion that REX just sets his loyalty on one player, as he did with SANCHEZ, so rather than have a reliable backup to go to, when the MEDIA, the FANS, etc. are screaming, he simply has a woeful backup to use an excuse to keep his guy in their no matter how pathetic they are.

His undieing loyalty to his "old" players, and guys like Sanchez is probably his worst trait among the many he has.

His loyalty keeps them from being in camp? 

What I'm reading in this thread is a bunch of rationalization as to why his failures with Cleveland were better than Rex's failures with the Jets.  And it's all based on the phenomenally-successful (cheating) head coach that Belichick would someday become. If his head coaching career ended in Cleveland none of these hindsight rationalizations would exist.  They'd just say he sucked.  3 losing seasons, then an 11-win season, then another losing season. 

The team was not far removed from its prior success and that is the reason Belichick's predecessor (and his interim replacement) were shown the door.  It's because more was expected with that roster.  The only real "name" player they lost the year Belichick took over was Ozzie and he was old and a shadow of his old self anyway.  A lot of the rest of the team was still intact and they were not old.

First, my original point, lost somewhere after page 1, was the argument as suggested by the article that Rex was ahead of Belichick through 78 games.  Again, my argument is the comparison is flawed.  It is not that Belichick did more or less right than Rex.  Belichick did a lot right.  Did the positives out way the negatives?  I do not know.  The team got better the longer he was in control.  Could it have been better?  Probably. Again, it is not that I think his Brows' tenure was an overwhelming success.  My point is that it is not a abject failure most make it out to be.

Second, Rex took over a good team.  Belichick took over a bad team.  Even if you could extrapolate, a fair comparison for this, the free agent system was different.   Again, back to my original point, a comparison of records through 78 games is moronic if you are going toe deep in factors.

Last, the article suggests that Brady made Belichick.  Again, this is  a stupid point.  Outside of Joe Gibbs, what Hall of Fame coach did not benefit from having one of the all time greats as his QB?  Noll had Terry and a historically ridiculous D.  Landry had Staubach  and a very good D.  Shula had Unitas, Griese, Marino and a ridiculously good D. 

Belichick can coach.  There is no argument in this.  He had success as a DC with the Giants, Jets and Patriots.  He did some good things with the Browns and learned from his mistakes when he became the HC of the Patriots. 

First, my original point, lost somewhere after page 1, was the argument as suggested by the article that Rex was ahead of Belichick through 78 games.  Again, my argument is the comparison is flawed.  It is not that Belichick did more or less right than Rex.  Belichick did a lot right.  Did the positives out way the negatives?  I do not know.  The team got better the longer he was in control.  Could it have been better?  Probably. Again, it is not that I think his Brows' tenure was an overwhelming success.  My point is that it is not a abject failure most make it out to be.

Second, Rex took over a good team.  Belichick took over a bad team.  Even if you could extrapolate, a fair comparison for this, the free agent system was different.   Again, back to my original point, a comparison of records through 78 games is moronic if you are going toe deep in factors.

Last, the article suggests that Brady made Belichick.  Again, this is  a stupid point.  Outside of Joe Gibbs, what Hall of Fame coach did not benefit from having one of the all time greats as his QB?  Noll had Terry and a historically ridiculous D.  Landry had Staubach  and a very good D.  Shula had Unitas, Griese, Marino and a ridiculously good D. 

Belichick can coach.  There is no argument in this.  He had success as a DC with the Giants, Jets and Patriots.  He did some good things with the Browns and learned from his mistakes when he became the HC of the Patriots. 

First, I don't read Pats fans posts unless they're full of flattery towards Jets fans, this website, or me personally.

Second, Belichick was a failure in Cleveland.  He had some real assets on offense and didn't use them any better than people accuse of Rex doing here in the absence of the same.  And the team he took over, on paper, was nowhere near as bad as their prior year's record would indicate.  Other than the safety he drafted 2nd in the country, the by the time he managed to squeak out a winning record after 4 years, the best players on the team were ones he inherited.  And the next year he was a loser again.

Stop worshiping this scumbag.  Join us.

First, I don't read Pats fans posts unless they're full of flattery towards Jets fans, this website, or me personally.

Second, Belichick was a failure in Cleveland.  He had some real assets on offense and didn't use them any better than people accuse of Rex doing here in the absence of the same.  And the team he took over, on paper, was nowhere near as bad as their prior year's record would indicate.  Other than the safety he drafted 2nd in the country, the by the time he managed to squeak out a winning record after 4 years, the best players on the team were ones he inherited.  And the next year he was a loser again.

Stop worshiping this scumbag.  Join us.

Oh my god give me a break here.

Oh my god give me a break here.

Give you a break where? The two best receiving weapons on Belichick's Cleveland teams exploded as soon as they got away from him, and did so with the same exact QB.

If you think we have an untapped Michael Jackson & Derrick Alexander on the roster, I'd love for you to identify who they are.

Give you a break where? The two best receiving weapons on Belichick's Cleveland teams exploded as soon as they got away from him, and did so with the same exact QB.

If you think we have an untapped Michael Jackson & Derrick Alexander on the roster, I'd love for you to identify who they are.

Who Alexander? He was a rookie in 1994 and a good one at that.

The Ravens hired Ted Marchibroda and threw the ball a ton. The Ravens stunk in 1996.

No, I mean what happened in 1995?

He was benched so BB could make room for Andre Rison in the lineup.  

And with Rison, McCardell, Jackson, and Alexander, name the head coach that made them a run-happy team behind Leroy Hoard and has-been Earnest FumByner.

No, I mean what happened in 1995?

He was benched so BB could make room for Andre Rison in the lineup.  

And with Rison, McCardell, Jackson, and Alexander, name the head coach that made them a run-happy team behind Leroy Hoard and has-been Earnest FumByner.

Rison and Mccardell were better than Derrick Alexander. 

What exactly is your end argument here? That Rex with a QB would be a top tier coach? I don't think there's any evidence that would be the case.

There have been coaches who have been given hall of fame QB's and failed. Rex has had 5 years here.

What exactly is your end argument here? That Rex with a QB would be a top tier coach? I don't think there's any evidence that would be the case.

There have been coaches who have been given hall of fame QB's and failed. Rex has had 5 years here.

My argument is that Belichick was a crappy HC in Cleveland, and Jets fans are falling over themselves to deny it based on what they LATER know about him as a HC in New England.  Not that Belichick's experience with Cleveland bears ANY relevance to Ryan's tenure with the Jets, because it doesn't, but it clearly is being done lest Ryan look comparable or favorable.

Ryan would have appeared to be a much better head coach with a QB.  Yes.  It masks a whole lot of things that coaches do poorly on both sides of the ball.  If you think that weapons are what makes someone like Aaron Rodgers consistently fit a football into a 10" window 20 yards downfield, and that's what eventually makes someone a good/great HC, that's your right to believe it.  But meanwhile a team like the Packers are 5-2 with Aaron Rodgers and 2-5-1 without him, and you argue as though the driver of that team's success is its head coach and receivers.  

Tell me about all the superbowls that would have been won with the QB play the Jets have had, but for the stupidity of the head coach not knowing how to develop an immature, under-talented knucklehead and a rookie in way over his head.

Mind you, I'm ok with Ryan getting replaced (so long as it isn't a knee-jerk "anyone but Rex" decision that leads to 3+ years of another Herm), but the ridiculous measures gone through to overlook the importance of the QB position is just that:  ridiculous.

Actually, if anything, the evidence points to the opposite. That Rex would be mediocre no matter who is slinging it, as his archaic way of running an offense could stifle even the best of QB's .

I just wonder if REX was given a so called top notch QB and so called Weapons, and we saw our usual 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, what the oncoming excuses would be then.

I just hope the PROOF is with another team, so we dont have to watch him ruin yet another QB and so call weapons with his Dinosaur offenses.

My argument is that Belichick was a crappy HC in Cleveland, and Jets fans are falling over themselves to deny it based on what they LATER know about him as a HC in New England.  Not that Belichick's experience with Cleveland bears ANY relevance to Ryan's tenure with the Jets, because it doesn't, but it clearly is being done lest Ryan look comparable or favorable.

Ryan would have appeared to be a much better head coach with a QB.  Yes.  It masks a whole lot of things that coaches do poorly on both sides of the ball.  If you think that weapons are what makes someone like Aaron Rodgers consistently fit a football into a 10" window 20 yards downfield, and that's what eventually makes someone a good/great HC, that's your right to believe it.  But meanwhile a team like the Packers are 5-2 with Aaron Rodgers and 2-5-1 without him, and you argue as though the driver of that team's success is its head coach and receivers.  

Tell me about all the superbowls that would have been won with the QB play the Jets have had, but for the stupidity of the head coach not knowing how to develop an immature, under-talented knucklehead and a rookie in way over his head.

Mind you, I'm ok with Ryan getting replaced (so long as it isn't a knee-jerk "anyone but Rex" decision that leads to 3+ years of another Herm), but the ridiculous measures gone through to overlook the importance of the QB position is just that:  ridiculous.

I agree with almost everything you say here, however the bold to me is one of the biggest problems I have with Rex to date. If Sanchez was really as immature and as much a knucklehead as some things this year that came out have indicated, how the hell does Rex not step in and squash that BS?

I mean pulling down players pants, and all the other crazy High School BS that Sanchez was doing, and Rex not only does not stop it, he makes him a captain?

Think of any good/great HC in the history of the NFL, can you think of one that would have even remotely handled that BS the way Rex did with Sanchez?

Aaron Rodgers is the best player in the game. He's that good, so I dont think he's a fair example as there's only one of him.

Wade Phillips has been given endless opportunities. He was never a good head coach. Denver(a good organization) saw this and moved on. He had the elite QB there and got two years. Jim Mora had Peyton Manning and was fired. Sometimes average coaches are just average coaches. Belichick was pretty much considered a genius prior to Cleveland. He was shutting down Jerry Rice with Mark Collins. The guy could always coach.

Strictly as a DC- Belichick > Rex. Also why I think the Brady v Peyton argument gets skewed because Brady never had to face a Belichick defense in January. Belichicks a much bigger nemesis to Peyton's legacy than Brady is. Rex will always be a good defensive coordinator...but chances are he's more Wade Phillips/Dick Lebeau than he is Bill Belichick. I truly believe the correct culture has to be in place to properly develop a young QB. 

I agree with almost everything you say here, however the bold to me is one of the biggest problems I have with Rex to date. If Sanchez was really as immature and as much a knucklehead as some things this year that came out have indicated, how the hell does Rex not step in and squash that BS?

I mean pulling down players pants, and all the other crazy High School BS that Sanchez was doing, and Rex not only does not stop it, he makes him a captain?

Think of any good/great HC in the history of the NFL, can you think of one that would have even remotely handled that BS the way Rex did with Sanchez?

It's a serious flaw in his tenure here.  He also made Santonio Holmes a captain at the same time.

That being said, this was the QB his GM tied himself to and it's only message board fans that think Rex could have gone out and gotten himself another QB (since there wasn't another one on the roster at any time).

If, as those who detest him feel, Rex is unable to bench someone he has personal affection for, then there is no hope for him as a HC.  If it just seems that way because that's his personality on the outside, and it's his nature to take the fall for his team, then it's something else.

Aaron Rodgers is the best player in the game. He's that good, so I dont think he's a fair example as there's only one of him.

Wade Phillips has been given endless opportunities. He was never a good head coach. Denver(a good organization) saw this and moved on. He had the elite QB there and got two years. Jim Mora had Peyton Manning and was fired. Sometimes average coaches are just average coaches. Belichick was pretty much considered a genius prior to Cleveland. He was shutting down Jerry Rice with Mark Collins. The guy could always coach.

Strictly as a DC- Belichick > Rex. Also why I think the Brady v Peyton argument gets skewed because Brady never had to face a Belichick defense in January. Belichicks a much bigger nemesis to Peyton's legacy than Brady is. Rex will always be a good defensive coordinator...but chances are he's more Wade Phillips/Dick Lebeau than he is Bill Belichick. I truly believe the correct culture has to be in place to properly develop a young QB. 

But Jim Mora only had one losing season with Manning (once his 30-turnover rookie season was out of the way).

The game was also different then.  They hadn't yet made all those Manning & Brady rules that we so love today.  If you had the #2 offense and the #31 defense, you ended up 6-10 like Mora's team.  Also Mora was a head-case and the whole team knew it.  So did his GM, who didn't fire him because the team was 6-10. It was because he wouldn't fire his DC who oversaw that crappola defense.  Polian (who kept his job as GM) also admitted the team wasn't talented enough when he fired Polian.

Same top-5 offense year after year, with a defense that isn't literally bottom 1 or 2, and yes having Peyton Manning buys you a lot of get out of jail free cards.

Just a QB, and only a QB (or QB and a couple of good receivers) isn't going to make you a SB winner by itself.  But without the QB, you aren't winning squat.  You can get lucky a little, catch lightning in a bottle a little, and if that happens you can even win a couple of playoff games with the conference's worst QB.  But in the end, the cream is going to rise to the top and you're not going to win with a rookie-level Geno Smith or the child he replaced.

Look at the difference in Washington.  RGIII plays lights-out and they go to the playoffs.  He's mediocre the next year (with his only receiving weapon actually healthy for the year) and they win 3 games.

But Jim Mora only had one losing season with Manning (once his 30-turnover rookie season was out of the way).

The game was also different then.  They hadn't yet made all those Manning & Brady rules that we so love today.  If you had the #2 offense and the #31 defense, you ended up 6-10 like Mora's team.  Also Mora was a head-case and the whole team knew it.  So did his GM, who didn't fire him because the team was 6-10. It was because he wouldn't fire his DC who oversaw that crappola defense.  Polian (who kept his job as GM) also admitted the team wasn't talented enough when he fired Polian.

Same top-5 offense year after year, with a defense that isn't literally bottom 1 or 2, and yes having Peyton Manning buys you a lot of get out of jail free cards.

Just a QB, and only a QB (or QB and a couple of good receivers) isn't going to make you a SB winner by itself.  But without the QB, you aren't winning squat.  You can get lucky a little, catch lightning in a bottle a little, and if that happens you can even win a couple of playoff games with the conference's worst QB.  But in the end, the cream is going to rise to the top and you're not going to win with a rookie-level Geno Smith or the child he replaced.

No one's disputing you don't need a Quarterback....but there's nothing wrong with recognizing that even if Rex was given a great QB- he doesn't do enough as a HC to win a Super Bowl. Good franchises don't go into autopilot once they've solidified that position. I think it was pretty apparent Ravens Harbaugh was a really good coach prior to Flacco putting it together. I can't say the same of Rex yet.

It's a serious flaw in his tenure here.  He also made Santonio Holmes a captain at the same time.

That being said, this was the QB his GM tied himself to and it's only message board fans that think Rex could have gone out and gotten himself another QB (since there wasn't another one on the roster at any time).

If, as those who detest him feel, Rex is unable to bench someone he has personal affection for, then there is no hope for him as a HC.  If it just seems that way because that's his personality on the outside, and it's his nature to take the fall for his team, then it's something else.

I don't think Rex could have or necessarily should have gotten another starting QB in here after 09. It's pretty hard to argue since for better or worse in 09 and 10 Sanchez was the QB and they did have success, even if Sanchez was along for the ride.

My problem is not with the tying himself to Sanchez, it's putting up with that ridiculous BS, and like you said, the BS with Holmes, and you can add in Burress as well.

Rex anointed Sanchez early on, and seemed to let him get away with murder both on and off the field. Sanchez may still have always sucked, but he clearly needed a much, much firmer hand than Rex ever gave him.

No one's disputing you don't need a Quarterback....but there's nothing wrong with recognizing that even if Rex was given a great QB- he doesn't do enough as a HC to win a Super Bowl. Good franchises don't go into autopilot once they've solidified that position. I think it was pretty apparent Ravens Harbaugh was a really good coach prior to Flacco putting it together. I can't say the same of Rex yet.

We got to within a game of the SB with Mark Sanchez.  Twice.  Yet you find it inconceivable that we'd have won one of them with a good-great QB instead.  One who will make up for some lapses on defense instead of holding them to being mistake-free or we lose. 

How many SB wins do you think Harbaugh has if Flacco wasn't an absolutely perfect QB in the post-season? My money is on zero.

I don't think Rex could have or necessarily should have gotten another starting QB in here after 09. It's pretty hard to argue since for better or worse in 09 and 10 Sanchez was the QB and they did have success, even if Sanchez was along for the ride.

My problem is not with the tying himself to Sanchez, it's putting up with that ridiculous BS, and like you said, the BS with Holmes, and you can add in Burress as well.

Rex anointed Sanchez early on, and seemed to let him get away with murder both on and off the field. Sanchez may still have always sucked, but he clearly needed a much, much firmer hand than Rex ever gave him.

Want to know what I think of Sanchez? ;)

We got to within a game of the SB with Mark Sanchez.  Twice.  Yet you find it inconceivable that we'd have won one of them with a good-great QB instead.  One who will make up for some lapses on defense instead of holding them to being mistake-free or we lose. 

How many SB wins do you think Harbaugh has if Flacco wasn't an absolutely perfect QB in the post-season? My money is on zero.

Harbaugh has made the playoffs every year he has been there. Rex is on year 3 and counting going home early. 

Harbaugh has made the playoffs every year he has been there. Rex is on year 3 and counting going home early. 

Harbaugh has had Ozzie Newsome as his GM, arguably THE best in the business over the past decade+, while Rex has had 2 first-time GMs, one of which was obviously an irresponsible, under-qualified, dipsh*t that deferred to Rex rather than his scouts to inform his player personnel decisions.

Harbaugh has had Ozzie Newsome as his GM, arguably THE best in the business over the past decade+, while Rex has had 2 first-time GMs, one of which was obviously an irresponsible, under-qualified, dipsh*t that deferred to Rex rather than his scouts to inform his player personnel decisions.

it's all about the culture- I agree. Ozzie had enough sense to fire a Super Bowl winning coach and bring in a superior one. Ozzie had a chance to hire Rex and passed.

Right, it was the culture that made Mark Sanchez a useless sack of sh*t.  Not to mention the drafting of Stephen Hill, Vladimir Ducasse, and stellar headline-grabber FA acquisitions like Tim Tebow.  Also all the spending & trading of draft picks 4-6 years ago had nothing to do with the wasteland of blown cap space and absence of younger talent that finally hit home in 2012.  Even 2011 would have been at worst an ok season with a QB who didn't hand the ball to the other team 30x (to say nothing of the lost drives due to the crappy, inaccurate throws). 

A QB - or more correctly, QB play - changes everything.

What's the main difference between the 2011 Giants and the 2013 Giants? 

2011 Eli throws for 5000 yards and tosses 29 TDs (to only 16 picks) and completes 61% of his passes.  

2013 Eli throws for 3700 yards and tosses 17 TDs (to his 26 picks) and completes 58% of his passes (through 15 games).

2011 Giants 31st in rushing yards and averaged 3.5 ypc.

2013 Giants 32nd in rushing yards and averaged 3.5 ypc.

2011 receivers were Victor Cruz, Hakeen Nicks, Mario Manningham, and Jake Ballard.

2013 receivers were Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks, Reuben Randall, and Brandon Myers.

Both teams gave up 25 ppg on defense.  Same HC, same OC, same DC.  

The only major difference is the QB play was above average in 2011 and total horsesh*t garbage in 2013.

Or was Tom Coughlin a top-notch HC in 2011 who suddenly became a fool's fool in 2013? Perhaps he created the wrong culture in 2013.

it's all about the culture- I agree. Ozzie had enough sense to fire a Super Bowl winning coach and bring in a superior one. Ozzie had a chance to hire Rex and passed.

Can't argue with that... BUT, I would still argue that having NFL level talent is sorta important.

Can't argue with that... BUT, I would still argue that having NFL level talent is sorta important.

No.  It's the culture.  Mark Sanchez was actually an awesome QB who had awesome receivers to throw to.  Ditto Geno Smith.  Under a different culture, they'd have all been superstars.  Mike Tannenbaum was but a pawn in Rex's master plan.

No.  It's the culture.  Mark Sanchez was actually an awesome QB who had awesome receivers to throw to.  Ditto Geno Smith.  Under a different culture, they'd have all been superstars.  Mike Tannenbaum was but a pawn in Rex's master plan.

So basically your argument is...the NFL is all luck and it makes no difference who the owner, GM or coach is...if you have a QB you go on auto-pilot and winz teh Super Bowlz.

So basically your argument is...the NFL is all luck and it makes no difference who the owner, GM or coach is...if you have a QB you go on auto-pilot and winz teh Super Bowlz.

Yeah, that's totally what I said.  Exactly that.

What I said, in many ways, is that the Jets aren't going anywhere without an absolute-minimum level of competence at QB.  It wouldn't hurt any if there were some good receivers as well (or one with Holmes's skill but without his head attached to the body), but a winner at QB is going to elevate the play of everyone around him.  Good - or even great - receivers with crappy QB play will still give you a crappy passing game and a losing team no matter what the culture is.

I fail to see the controversy.

Archived