Bilal Powell 2013 and Beyond

eboozer

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/1/9/5292228/bilal-powell-2013-and-beyond

Bilal Powell: 2013 and Beyond

By John B  @johnbutchko on Jan 9 2014, 1:23p 131

Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports

Bilal Powell had a couple of big games in the first quarter of the 2013 season, including a 149 yard game on the ground Week 3 against the Bills. Powell served most of the year as a compliment to Chris Ivory. He did get 21 carries in the finale as Ivory was slowed by an injury. He ended 2013 with 697 yards on the ground and an average at 4.0 yards. Bilal added 36 receptions and 272 yards.

Outside of the Buffalo game, Bilal mainly looked like the guy he was in 2012. He has enough talent to be in the NFL but probably not enough to be a big difference-maker. There just isn't anything overwhelming about his game. He isn't that fast. He isn't that strong. He doesn't change directions that well. He can catch and pass protect, but he isn't dominant in those areas. There aren't a ton of glaring weaknesses in his game. He can take what the defense gives him. Some backs like Shonn Greene can't even do that. To be an impact guy, though, you need to have something that really sticks out and allows you to create your own yardage. I don't see that in Powell.

Fourth round rookie contracts are team friendly. Powell's cap number will be under $750,000 in 2014. What will his role be? It depends on what the team does in the offseason. The Jets could really use a better compliment for Ivory. Powell is kind of like David Nelson to me. If you have him as depth and to make minimal contributions, that's a great place to be. If he has to make a big contribution, you can live with it you are surrounded with talent, and he's like the tenth or eleventh best player you have on offense. If he is expected to be one of your top dogs, you have problems.

The Jets could probably live with Powell splitting carries with Ivory again if they upgrade other parts of the offense. I would like to see them upgrade running back, though, perhaps through the Draft. Powell is fine as depth, and it would be no great tragedy if the Jets entered 2014 in a position to part ways.

Poll

What would you prefer for the Jets in 2014?

70% Bilal Powell seeing major playing time again.
(366 votes)

30% Bilal Powell replaced.
(159 votes)

525 votes total

Here's Chris Ivory's Evaluation

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/1/8/5288874/chris-ivory-2013-and-beyond

I am going to say something a little controversial. I thought Chris Ivory was a mild disappointment for the Jets in 2013. Hear me out. I like Ivory. I thought he was the best player the offense had. I think he is a building block going forward. I was just hoping he would be able to carry the offense.

I was hoping he would be able to turn the Jets into a top tier rushing team and take the pressure off Geno Smith. My hope was a 1,200-1,400 yard rusher. Instead he was just a (nice) complimentary piece. If you traded the sixth round pick the Jets originally offered and got Ivory's production, you would be thrilled. For the fifth round pick many thought would split the difference for the Jets and the Saints, you would be happy. For the fourth round pick the Jets gave up? It wasn't a bad deal, but it wasn't the steal many were hoping for either.

Ivory just did not get enough touches to be a dominant force. Part of that was probably due to the Jets being concerned about him taking too much of a pounding. Ivory had been very injury-prone with the Saints. Part of it was also undoubtedly due to Ivory's inability to contribute anything in the passing game, and I mean anything. He had 2 receptions and 4 drops as a receiver this year. This wasn't exactly out of the blue. He only had 3 catches in 3 seasons with the Saints, one of the most prolific passing teams in the NFL. Ivory was unfortunately not able to develop his game as a pass catcher this year. While the Jets had a passing play on around 52% of snaps as a team, plays with Ivory involved a throw only around 34% of the time.

So Ivory is not a three down back. The Jets probably needed him to be in 2013, but his inability to do so is not such a sin over the long haul. The every down back is becoming extinct in today's NFL. What Ivory does offer is a diverse skillset. After a slow start to the year, he started to kick his running into gear during a 104 yard performance October 20 against the Patriots. Chris kept pounding and pounding on the Patriots. On the game-winning overtime drive he had five consecutive carries that either netted at least 4 yards or resulted in a first down. He had a monster game two weeks later against his former team, the Saints, and a strong finish, ending 2013 with 833 rushing yards on a robust 4.6 average per carry.

Ivory offers a really nice package as a rusher. He is a physical runner. According to Pro Football Focus, no back who got at least half of his team's carries averaged more yards after contact, 3.01 per carry. He isn't just a plodder, though. He averaged 6.5 yards per carry on outside runs. Also of note, PFF says 43.5% of his yardage came on runs of 15 yards or more. Chris is pretty explosive. He can pound it inside and turn the corner outside.

What does this mean going forward? I think we have seen that Ivory can be a very capable runner as part of a tandem. What attributes should a complimentary back have? Sometimes we think of the only combination of running backs as a pounder inside and a burner outside. Ivory can do both. Perhaps we should think in different terms for Chris. The ideal back would obviously be a strong receiver and pass protector out of the backfield to compensate for Ivory's shortcomings there. Since so much of Chris' yardage comes on big runs, maybe the right compliment to him would be the kind of guy who can regularly churn out 5, 6, and 7 yard runs to keep the offense moving while the Jets depend on Chris for big plays.

At the very least, Ivory's $1.75 million cap hit for 2014 should provide some very nice value as long as he stays healthy.

Poll

Where do you see Chris Ivory in 2014?

28% Playing almost every down
(257 votes)

71% As part of a rotation
(639 votes)

1% Dump him! On another team

Goodson, Mike.

If his recovery is on track, I would expect the team to be leaning on him as the prime compliment to Ivory. Powell is useful because he can backup both roles

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/1/10/5295836/mike-goodson-2013-and-beyond

When you factor in lack of on field production, injuries, and headaches, I'm not sure any free agent signing in 2013 was less effective in the NFL than Mike Goodson. The Jets signed Goodson to a fairly low cost deal hoping he could his speed to become a diamond in the rough, a valuable offensive piece whose speed could make him dangerous. Needless to say, things did not pan out.

Goodson was arrested in May on weapons and drug charges. He was MIA for the bulk of training camp and preseason for reasons the public still does not know. He was suspended the first four games. He tore his ACL and MCL after returning. He was indicted on the weapons charge in November. All of this for the impact of nine offensive touches.

There are some cases where a player's return could be a topic of debate. This one looks pretty open and shut to me. The Jets were trying to catch lightning in a bottle with Goodson. It did not pan out.

According to OverTheCap.com, cutting Goodson would create a little more than $1.3 million in new cap space.

Surely that money can be spent better than on a guy whom:

A. has put up 500 yards from scrimmage once in five NFL seasons.

WB. is coming off an extremely serious knee injury that might rob him of his greatest asset.

C. might not even be available due to his pending legal situation.

There are better guys to try and catch lightning in a bottle with. Goodson had his chance and didn't do anything with it.

Poll
What should the Jets do with Mike Goodson?
  • 68% Cut him. (418 votes)

• 32% Bring him back. (199 votes)

617 votes total

I disagree with that article on Goodson. I think it all comes down to the knee, and how his recovery/rehab are going. I think he'll either be cleared of his legal trouble, or get a slap on the wrist fine/suspended sentence type punishment.

Doesn't mean the Jets shouldn't take a RB who floats to the top of their draft board, just that I don't see the team going into this offseason seeing RB as a priority.

I hope Ivory can work this off season on his receiving skills... to be able to use him as a 3 down back would make life easier on Geno.

That being said, by all means get a RB with receiving skills in the draft.

I disagree with that article on Goodson. I think it all comes down to the knee, and how his recovery/rehab are going. I think he'll either be cleared of his legal trouble, or get a slap on the wrist fine/suspended sentence type punishment.

Doesn't mean the Jets shouldn't take a RB who floats to the top of their draft board, just that I don't see the team going into this offseason seeing RB as a priority.

Agreed.  Not to say that an upgrade at RB wouldn't be a great thing, but they have Ivory and between Goodson coming back and Powell being a capable compliment, the truth of the matter is RB is easily the Jets area of least concern for the offense.  In truth, I'm not sure what position you could say the Jets are in better shape at beyond DL and maybe LB.  Of course that may not be saying a lot but the point is RB isn't going to be one of the Jets' top priorities and unless, like you said, they find themselves in a position where they feel like there is a player that's a great value, they probably won't do too much there.

Agreed.  Not to say that an upgrade at RB wouldn't be a great thing, but they have Ivory and between Goodson coming back and Powell being a capable compliment, the truth of the matter is RB is easily the Jets area of least concern for the offense.  In truth, I'm not sure what position you could say the Jets are in better shape at beyond DL and maybe LB.  Of course that may not be saying a lot but the point is RB isn't going to be one of the Jets' top priorities and unless, like you said, they find themselves in a position where they feel like there is a player that's a great value, they probably won't do too much the

I know they had Alex Greene on the roster last yr. although he never saw the field.... and I can't remember if we even had a RB on the practice squad. You have to at least bring in UFA Rb's or use a 4th/5th/6th in the draft on a developmental player. Maybe we get lucky with an Alfred Morris type guy.

goodson is a stupid punk.  idzik is a moron for keeping him

slats, look into the law.  handgun crimes are no joke.

he was indicted on firearms and illegal ammo.  not looking good for the idiot

The weapon charges are for a handgun found in the glove compartment of a vehicle in which he was a passenger. I don't expect that to stick. I guess we'll see. Hopefully the trial (or plea deal) comes before the draft so the team has a better idea.

The weapon charges are for a handgun found in the glove compartment of a vehicle in which he was a passenger. I don't expect that to stick. I guess we'll see. Hopefully the trial (or plea deal) comes before the draft so the team has a better idea.

He should be motivated to come to camp in top shape... or at least you'd hope so! The Jets stuck by him. We'll see if he pays them back for that loyalty.

I like Powell more than Ivory - he is more of a complete back. Ivory is just straight ahead, where Powell has some Curtis Martin moves in him. He's more of a classic NFL back and Ivory somehow seems very one dimensional in his running style plus lack of versatility which is reflected in his receiving skills.

his buddy already tried to take the rap, but wasn't able to.  many of these crimes have mandatory sentences.  even if he beats the rap, he's proven to be an idiot for being so drunk in a car with a handgun in it they wound up parked in the middle of a highway and he puked in his own lap. 

A person convicted of possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose must serve a mandatory prison term, the length of which depending on the case at hand. A second-degree indictable offense typically carries a prison sentence of five to ten years.

no deal, no wrist slap.

if he's convicted, buh bye

Archived