Question Now That The Season Is Behind Us

TuscanyTile2

I'm sorry but I'm going to need some examples of where this actually happened. You'd think a circumstance so blatant would be common knowledge, that someone would have noticed.

We are putting the finishing touches on our thesis that teams often dont try as hard when there is nothing to play for or even a benefit to losing. Stand bye we are having our graduate students finish the number crunching and analysis now. The authors sincerely hope that it offers a suitable substitute for common sense.

We are putting the finishing touches on our thesis that teams often dont try as hard when there is nothing to play for or even a benefit to losing. Stand bye we are having our graduate students finish the number crunching and analysis now. The authors sincerely hope that it offers a suitable substitute for common sense.

Yeah, I'd post something similar if I was completely full of sh*t.

You do know that Jim Caldwell got fired after the 2011 season right? Or are you saying the Colts weren't one of your tanking teams?

Funny how they started tanking right from the jump since they started the season 0-13 and then finished winning two out of the last three. So I guess that the first 10 losses of the season or so was just them sucking and four of the last six was you know, not trying.

Tell your graduate students they can go home. I did the work for them.

So we've eliminated the Colts and we've shot down the Redskins. Any other tankers in recent memory we can discuss specifically or should we just keep talking about common sense?

Yeah, except the pick was still very much in doubt when the Colts decided to win in Week 15 and 16. This article was written in Week 7. No one really knew how good the Colts were, being they were able to be really bad when they needed to yet win on command when they needed to make it at least look good and getting the Rams and Vikings to cooperate in weeks 15-17 was impressive as well.

Ding!

You do know that Jim Caldwell got fired after the 2011 season right? Or are you saying the Colts weren't one of your tanking teams?

Funny how they started tanking right from the jump since they started the season 0-13 and then finished winning two out of the last three. So I guess that the first 10 losses of the season or so was just them sucking and four of the last six was you know, not trying.

So we've eliminated the Colts and we've shot down the Redskins. Any other tankers in recent memory we can discuss specifically or should we just keep talking about common sense?

You cannot argue with peer reviewed research that conclusively proves a null hypothesis based on a significant sample size that proves at the .01 level that teams  TANK IN EVERY FREAKING SPORT THAT HAS A DRAFT.

You do realize there are many situations to tank. You are narrowly focused on one--do you need evidence that some teams dont put full effort forward when they have already qualified for the playoffs? Jets would disagree after playing the colts a few years back final game regular season. Hundreds of examples of this. Look all i am saying is when there is nothing to play for, teams rarely put full effort in. Be it that they are already eliminated and bench RG3 or they put in Curtis Painter in the second Q or they take a liberal view of the injury report to get some PT for their young guys and maybe lose that last game and improve their draft position. You are asking for evidence that human nature is as it is. That when the reward for doing something decreases, that the effort also decreases. You are trying to pick a fight over a minor point by saying we are claiming that teams are left and right purposefully losing to game the system. Not what we are saying. Just that motivation positively correlates to potential reward. And that doesnt need to be "proven" on a Jets messageboard because it has been known to be true for 5 millenia. It is like asking for an analysis that sh1t stinks.

You do realize there are many situations to tank. You are narrowly focused on one--do you need evidence that some teams dont put full effort forward when they have already qualified for the playoffs? Jets eould disagree after playing the colts a few years back final game regular season. Look all i am saying is when there is nothing to play for, teams rarely out full effort in. Be is that they are already eliminated and bench RG3 or they bench Peyton Manning adter the second Q to rest him for the playoffs or they take a liberal view of the injury report to get some PT for their young guys and maybe lose that last game and improve their drsft position. You are asking for evidence that human nature is as it is. That when the reward for doing something decreases, that the effort also decreases. Could you prove to me that poop stinks? I will need some graphs and tables. You are trying to oick a figt over a minor point by saying we are claiming that teams areleft and right ourposefully losing to game the system. Not what we are saying. Just that motivation folows potentialr reward. And that doesnt need to be "proven" on a Jets messageboard because it has been known to be true for 5 millenia.

Oh you mean people let down when the pressure is off or that once a season is essentially over coaches want to see how young guys perform and get them some real game experience? Had no idea you were talking about that. I apologize.

Nope, just thought we had the same handle on the term tank. For me it indicates intent. For you, it's relaxation.

call it what you will, glad you agree there are situations where teams don't try so hard to win. looks like we all agree this happens. thanks again for being man enough to admit when you are wrong. very honorable of you.

In joewillie78-land, Peyton Manning faked a neck injury so the Colts could lose most of their games and then give his job to an unproven rookie. In joewillie78-land the sky is purple with yellow polka dots and fish are made of chocolate. 

Archived