ESPN: Running Back Cliff after 27

CrazyCarl40

All the more reason to target a top RB talent.

A good running back and decent receivers isn't going to make a bad QB into a good one miraculously. Taking garbage and surrounding it in pretty flowers doesn't mean it doesn't stink and needs to be taken to the curb eventually.

A good running back and decent receivers isn't going to make a bad QB into a good one miraculously. Taking garbage and surrounding it in pretty flowers doesn't mean it doesn't stink and needs to be taken to the curb eventually.

We don't need Geno to be good....we need him to not turn it over.

Geno turning into a good QB doesn't take a miracle, and as Matt39 says it's a matter of turnovers. Geno isn't garbage, we're just a really dumb fanbase following a sport that loves really dumb analysis. 

You have posted some not-so-good statements over the years. Pizza, Ducasse, Sanchez, Vince Oghobaase...this is right up there with all of those.

If it helps, I wasn't proud typing that one. I take what you say as a compliment towards my stance in the Schottenheimer Wars. Sanchez can go **** a goat version of himself. 

You're overrating that facet of being a back imo. Best case scenario for the Jets next season is they find a couple of mauling guards who can start right away and have a stable of backs that allow our defense to do it's job. The Jets have already alluded to this strategy...feed those guys, keep Geno in 3rd and manageable...the passing game is getting scaled back next season most likely. Not drafting Mason because he didn't have to pass block would be silly. Plus I think Johnson stinks at this point anyways. jmo

If Johnson stinks,  what's the make Ivory?   You do realize Johnson had a better season than Ivory right?

No he didnt

Total yards means better season.  Don't you know that? Unless the players were swapped, where the higher total-yards player was on the Jets and the higher ypc player was on someone else's team.  Then the higher yards is pointed out as only a function of carries rather than prowess, and the Jets' player stinks worse again.

I'm sure if someone else on Tennessee had as good of a season as Powell did, or really just of Shonn Greene wasn't injured, that Johnson would have had fewer attempts and therefore fewer rushing yards.  Particularly in those games where Johnson was getting around or under 2 ypc and they kept feeding it to him anyway.

Total yards means better season.  Don't you know that? Unless the players were swapped, where the higher total-yards player was on the Jets and the higher ypc player was on someone else's team.  Then the higher yards is pointed out as only a function of carries rather than prowess, and the Jets' player stinks worse again.

I'm sure if someone else on Tennessee had as good of a season as Powell did, or really just of Shonn Greene wasn't injured, that Johnson would have had fewer attempts and therefore fewer rushing yards.  Particularly in those games where Johnson was getting around or under 2 ypc and they kept feeding it to him anyway.

Which is my concern with CJ. Ivory within the first 5 yards had to do most of it on his own last year....luckily he can make ppl miss and break tackles. Johnson does his damage in the open field....I guess if we limit him to 3rd downs I wouldnt mind it....but I dont see him accepting that role.

Which is my concern with CJ. Ivory within the first 5 yards had to do most of it on his own last year....luckily he can make ppl miss and break tackles. Johnson does his damage in the open field....I guess if we limit him to 3rd downs I wouldnt mind it....but I dont see him accepting that role.

I don't know.  Johnson can make people miss also.  I really think a lot of it was his knee.  Also who knows some of it may have been his contract, where he knew (or thought he knew) he was going to get cut so he wanted to overdo it and get more yards on plays he should have just taken what the line gave him.  

Truth is he isn't who you want running into the heart of the other team's DL up the gut.  That's why they gave Shonn Greene $3M/year (lol) in the first place.  Didn't work out, though, because Greene was banged up for most of the season.  When Greene was getting some carries, Johnson's numbers were (on balance) better. But even that's hard to say, given the small sample. One or two wide open holes that the line clears and just those couple of runs over a few games could make it look like he was running solid throughout.

We'll see. 

Archived