Michael Vick on taking field to ovation from Jets fans: 'I wasn't expecting it'

1 / 10

(Andrew Mills/The Star-Ledger)

Dom Cosentino | NJ.com

Dom Cosentino | NJ.com By Dom Cosentino | NJ.com

Follow on Twitter

on August 08, 2014 at 9:54 AM, updated August 08, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Michael Vick on taking field to ovation from Jets fans: 'I wasn't expecting it'

EAST RUTHERFORD -- The Jets stuck to their script Thursday night, just as they said they would, with backup quarterback Michael Vick replacing starter Geno Smith early in the second quarter of their 13-10 victory over the Colts in the preseason opener.

The switch became official with 13:17 remaining in the second quarter, when Vick took the field with the first-team offense for the first time. And when he did, the crowd at MetLife Stadium—subdued by the early summer, and the by the fact that this was, well, a preseason game that didn't count—came to life.

They cheered. They cheered loudly. It was a sustained cheer that lasted for several seconds, a way of welcoming the 34-year-old Vick to town, even if the plan calls for him simply to be at the ready in case Smith stumbles.

"I wasn't expecting it," Vick admitted. "I feel like everybody pretty much has seen me in training camp. But to go out on the field and get that type of reception—it's a very warm welcome, and I appreciate it."

In his first series, Vick guided the Jets on a 14-play, 80-yard touchdown drive that consumed more than seven minutes. Twice, he kept the march going by dashing for first downs on third-and-long, again to the audible appreciation of fans who hadn't already bolted for The Shore for the weekend.

"It only gets you going, gets your blood flowing," Vick said of that initial reception when he took the field. "It doesn't alleviate the butterflies; even still at my age, you still have the anxiety, which is a good thing."

Archived