Rex Ryan takes out the trash talk

Ken Schroy

New York Post

September 7, 2014

http://nypost.com/2014/09/08/rex-ryan-takes-out-the-trash-talk/

Jets coach Rex Ryan used some bulletin-board material provided by one of his former players to motivate his team.

Raiders guard Austin Howard, who spent the past three years with the Jets, told Oakland reporters, "I believe we can go up there and push [the Jets] around a little bit." It seemed to bother Ryan, who told the team about it and then referenced it a bunch in his postgame press conference.

"We knew the Raiders, they were going to come in here and push us around," Ryan said. "That’s what was [said]. They certainly did that, to the tune of 25 yards rushing [for Oakland]. They gave up 213 rushing. That part of it was Jet football."

The Jets players seemed more amused than insulted by Howard’s remark. That didn’t stop them from letting Howard hear it on the field as the Raiders struggled to move the ball.

"It’s not PG-13," defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson said when asked about what he told Howard on the field.

Richardson said he was not surprised by Howard’s comment because "he played for us." But Richardson laughed when he read it.

"It wasn’t possible," Richardson said. "Why would it be? You see how we play defense? You see how our box 7 plays? It’s tough, man."

The Jets totaled 11 penalties in the game, something that really annoyed Ryan.

"This game should have been a rat-kill," Ryan said. "It wasn’t. It was close because of the penalties. It’s something we have to focus on."

Guard Willie Colon was the worst offender with three flags.

"We just gotta be more disciplined with our hand play," Colon said. "I’ll wear it, embarrassed by it. Just gotta leave it and move on." 

Rookie safety Calvin Pryor made his debut and nearly had his first interception, but he dropped what would have been a pick-six from Raiders QB Derek Carr in the second quarter.

"As soon as I saw I was about to catch the ball, I saw the end zone," Pryor said. "I saw white shirts, and I was trying to run before I got the ball. I have to make that play next time. I need to make that pick for my teammates."

Ryan got creative on defense using WR/KR Saalim Hakim as a cornerback on two plays. He blitzed on one third down and dropped into coverage on another. They opened the game with LB Quinton Coples lined up at CB. … WR Eric Decker had five catches for 74 yards in his Jets debut. He also had two penalties. … LB A.J. Edds left the game with a hamstring injury. … OLB Jason Babin recorded his first sack as a Jet.

I thought that was interesting. Did anyone see when that happened?

New York Post

September 7, 2014

http://nypost.com/2014/09/08/rex-ryan-takes-out-the-trash-talk/

Jets coach Rex Ryan used some bulletin-board material provided by one of his former players to motivate his team.

Raiders guard Austin Howard, who spent the past three years with the Jets, told Oakland reporters, "I believe we can go up there and push [the Jets] around a little bit." It seemed to bother Ryan, who told the team about it and then referenced it a bunch in his postgame press conference.

"We knew the Raiders, they were going to come in here and push us around," Ryan said. "That’s what was [said]. They certainly did that, to the tune of 25 yards rushing [for Oakland]. They gave up 213 rushing. That part of it was Jet football."

The Jets players seemed more amused than insulted by Howard’s remark. That didn’t stop them from letting Howard hear it on the field as the Raiders struggled to move the ball.

"It’s not PG-13," defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson said when asked about what he told Howard on the field.

Richardson said he was not surprised by Howard’s comment because "he played for us." But Richardson laughed when he read it.

"It wasn’t possible," Richardson said. "Why would it be? You see how we play defense? You see how our box 7 plays? It’s tough, man."

The Jets totaled 11 penalties in the game, something that really annoyed Ryan.

"This game should have been a rat-kill," Ryan said. "It wasn’t. It was close because of the penalties. It’s something we have to focus on."

Guard Willie Colon was the worst offender with three flags.

"We just gotta be more disciplined with our hand play," Colon said. "I’ll wear it, embarrassed by it. Just gotta leave it and move on."

Rookie safety Calvin Pryor made his debut and nearly had his first interception, but he dropped what would have been a pick-six from Raiders QB Derek Carr in the second quarter.

"As soon as I saw I was about to catch the ball, I saw the end zone," Pryor said. "I saw white shirts, and I was trying to run before I got the ball. I have to make that play next time. I need to make that pick for my teammates."

Ryan got creative on defense using WR/KR Saalim Hakim as a cornerback on two plays. He blitzed on one third down and dropped into coverage on another. They opened the game with LB Quinton Coples lined up at CB. … WR Eric Decker had five catches for 74 yards in his Jets debut. He also had two penalties. … LB A.J. Edds left the game with a hamstring injury. … OLB Jason Babin recorded his first sack as a Jet.

I thought that was interesting. Did anyone see when that happened?

Didn't realize he had Coples at cb but did notice Hakim both times. Figured they sent him out to speed rush the first time, was shocked he dropped into coverage the second.

Have to love Rex.

Archived