Jets rookie, McDougle bides time as he rehabs

Ken Schroy

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/football/jets-rookie-bides-time-as-he-rehabs-his-injury-1.1146337

FLORHAM PARK – It’s a reminder of two players’ seasons that were lost, long before the Jets’ campaign itself was over, at least from a mathematical standpoint.

Near the entrance to the locker room at the team’s training facility, third-round pick Dexter McDougle and fourth-round selection Shaq Evans are sharing a locker. The reason: Space in the room is at a premium and both players have been on injured reserve since August. McDougle, a cornerback from the University of Maryland, admitted that it’s strange he and Evans, a wideout from UCLA, have the same locker. But he quickly added, "It’s no big deal." McDougle has more important things to worry about, such as wondering when he will be able to take the field again. He said Wednesday he still doesn’t have a timeline for that, but indicated that he is encouraged by the strides he has made. "I’ve been progressing really well," said McDougle, who suffered a torn ACL in his left knee during practice Aug. 10 — three days after playing in the Jets’ preseason opener against Indianapolis. At first, McDougle didn’t think the injury was that bad, before he got the news from the team’s medical staff after an MRI. What made it even more frustrating was that he had missed the final nine games of his senior season with the Terrapins because of a fractured shoulder blade. "It was difficult when the injury first happened," he said. "You get a little down but at the same time it was something that I had been through before, so I knew what to expect." His experience battling back from the shoulder injury and subsequent surgery prepared him to try to overcome this injury and the resulting surgery, he said. "It kind of helped me with this one," he said, referring to the previous rehab. "I’ve got all my teammates behind me, the training staff behind me. I was real close to playing this year and it’s real frustrating, but it’s OK and I’m just ready to get back next year." He has been cleared to run on a treadmill and expects to be running outdoors in about two weeks. McDougle, who did not suffer any damage to his meniscus, doesn’t know if he will be ready for spring practice in 2015.

"We’ll find out pretty soon," he said. "I’m taking it day by day. The process is going real good. I’m just going to keep moving forward and keep a positive attitude."

McDougle’s injury was part of a month in which the Jets were devastated at the cornerback position. Projected No. 1 corner Dee Milliner suffered a high ankle sprain the same day McDougle blew out his knee, and missed one month before returning and later suffering a torn Achilles’ that ended his season Oct. 12. Also in August, veteran corner Dimitri Patterson missed a game without permission and was released shortly thereafter. McDougle was slated for a reserve role, but likely would have wound up starting had he remained healthy. The Jets have started seven combinations at the two cornerback spots. "It’s frustrating because you want to be out there playing," he said. "I was looking forward to this season a lot. [but] it happened, so the only thing I can do is just get better and prepare for next year." And maybe by then he’ll have both a position and a locker he can call his own.

Archived