Rex Ryan’s sad lament: I needed a Tom Brady

Ken Schroy

Hey, neither of us are really in a position to say we have better football minds than Bill Parcells.

Personally, I think he was better than Rex, and personally, I think even his GMing was better than Idzik.

If you like the status quo, have at it.

I'm always the first guy to say I don't know nearly as much as the guys who get paid to do this, but there's no denying Parcells had some drafts here that make Idzik look like Ozzie Newsome.  BOMBED multiple drafts with 10+ picks AND decided to take Farrior over Pace regardless of the reasoning.

Status qou for this team has been horrible drafting which is why I support dumping the guy  making the picks.  That's the opposite of supporting it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was the 8th player taken in 1997 did squat for the Jets and had 2 Pro Bowl seasons in a 15 year career for Pitt.. BTW in the Tuna's first 2 years 1997 and 1998 he had 25 picks..Other then the 1st and 3rd pick for Martin in 1998 he wasn't short on draft picks..

What he did with those picks was embarrassing...two of the worst drafts in team history.

He was the 8th player taken in 1997 did squat for the Jets and had 2 Pro Bowl seasons in a 15 year career for Pitt.. BTW in the Tuna's first 2 years 1997 and 1998 he had 25 picks..Other then the 1st and 3rd pick for Martin in 1998 he wasn't short on draft picks..

You neglect the picks that the Jets gave to NE for Parcells himself.

They got 4 picks over 3 years a 1st,2nd,3rd and a 4th.. But he still wasn't short on picks like Tanny always was..LOL

Correct. In Parcells' book, he said the chief reason was he traded down, was not that he didn't like Pace, but that the Jets needed much more, and that the draft picks given up by the team, he wanted to recoup in some small manner.

Now, the method that he used all those picks, leaves something to be desired. But the motive was sound.

And to say that Farrior was a bad pick based on how the Jets mis-used him would be incorrect as well. The Jets had him outside, and as soon as Pittsburgh plugs him inside, voila. Solid, solid player.

Fun fact; since 1967 when the Jets were #1 in passing, the Jets have never led in a single offensive category till 2009 when the Jets led the league in rushing.

So, under Rex Ryan, they've not only been #1 in an offensive category for the first time since 1967 they also had a QB break the franchise record for most TD's in a season.

Basically, Rex Ryan is the best offensive Head Coach the Jets have had since Weeb Ewbank.

Gotta hand it to you JiF, this post is the best spin I have ever read on a message board.

I pointed out the fact that some fans say they would trade Rex for Chip.  You asked me to compare Rex to Chip.  I made you aware of the fact that Rex has won playoff games and Chip has not.  I'd prefer the coach who has proven he can win playoff games against  HOF QB's on the road over the guy who can't manage a single playoff win.  However, I realize this is due largely in part to the fact that I would like to see the Jets succeed and not everyone has that wish.

So by your very logic you would take Trent Dilfer over Dan Marino right ???

??? He was talking about HC's winning playoff games and Marino won playoff games just not a bowl..

??? He was talking about HC's winning playoff games and Marino won playoff games just not a bowl..

And Dilfer did - so by his logic Dilfer is better right ???  People saying Chip is worse then Rex because he hasn't won playoff games are hanging on to those Rex playoff games like life preservers.

Its an offensive game now, and Rex and his G&P has gone the way of the Beta Max.

And Dilfer did - so by his logic Dilfer is better right ???  People saying Chip is worse then Rex because he hasn't won playoff games are hanging on to those Rex playoff games like life preservers.

Its an offensive game now, and Rex and his G&P has gone the way of the Beta Max.

Remember way back to last year?? The Seahawks ran over 100 times more then they passed.. The Jets ran 13 times more then they passed.. Better get that info to Pete Carroll..

Remember way back to last year?? The Seahawks ran over 100 times more then they passed.. The Jets ran 13 times more then they passed.. Better get that info to Pete Carroll..

The Seahawks are an anomaly because they have a QB ,who accounts for many rushing attempts and knows how to avoid contact and taking big hits , something that the Rg3's, and Kaepernick's have failed to master. Having the QB that effective as a runner and eluder of pressure opens up their whole offense. Put any other QB on that Sea team and their offense becomes much more vanilla and beatable. The Jets have no identity on offense they want to run and and force it went they shouldn't , then they get in bad down and distances and have to pass which skews the pass/run ratio, plus they're often trailing in games which leads to more passing. Yesterday was the perfect example , they finally force a turnover and then run it twice and take a sack on third , almost any other coach would have gone for the kill there , especially with a 3-11 record, 

The Seahawks are an anomaly because they have a QB ,who accounts for many rushing attempts and knows how to avoid contact and taking big hits , something that the Rg3's, and Kaepernick's have failed to master. Having the QB that effective as a runner and eluder of pressure opens up their whole offense. Put any other QB on that Sea team and their offense becomes much more vanilla and beatable. The Jets have no identity on offense they want to run and and force it went they shouldn't , then they get in bad down and distances and have to pass which skews the pass/run ratio, plus they're often trailing in games which leads to more passing. Yesterday was the perfect example , they finally force a turnover and then run it twice and take a sack on third , almost any other coach would have gone for the kill there , especially with a 3-11 record, 

The 49'ers ran 89 more times then they passed last season.. Wait another anomaly??  :winking0001:

The 49'ers ran 89 more times then they passed last season.. Wait another anomaly??  :winking0001:

And their QB was a pocket passer - yes I see.  Plus , those teams SEA and SF especially last year were well ahead in most games and should have had skewed pass/run stats in favor of the run.  The Jets with the amount of time they've trailed this year should be passing about 75% of the time nothing magical or alarming about that its just plain football sense , something that our HC seems to eschew. 

And their QB was a pocket passer - yes I see.  Plus , those teams SEA and SF especially last year were well ahead in most games and should have had skewed pass/run stats in favor of the run.  The Jets with the amount of time they've trailed this year should be passing about 75% of the time nothing magical or alarming about that its just plain football sense , something that our HC seems to eschew. 

Spot on. I would have stopped debating him the minute he used Seattle's stats.  Clueless.

I wonder what game Geno would've broken the season INT record  if we passed 75% of the time.  Game 9?

Archived