Harbaugh and SF part ways

Integrity28

We can't talk to him. He's the 49ers HC until he signs with Michigan. Talking to him prior to that is tampering.

SF retains his rights until they fire him, which includes all of next year while he's coaching Michigan. At least that's the way it used to work. Harbaugh can't just quit and then go to another NFL team while he's under contract with SF.

I don't think that's the case.   It sounds like SF and Harbaugh agreed to void the final year on his contract.   I believe he is now free to pursue any opportunities he wants. 

I don't think that's the case. It sounds like SF and Harbaugh agreed to void the final year on his contract. I believe he is now free to pursue any opportunities he wants.

Verbally, yes. I don't know that SF agreed to relinquish his rights. They verbally agreed to end his time there, but the official reason seems to be that he's signing with Michigan.

They know they could get a pick - and any pick is better than no pick - for him. They're not dumb enough to let him go when people would pay them for him. Except they don't get to throw tampering charges against college teams.

Also if the next guy flops for 3 years they'd lose the opportunity to claim he quit on the franchise and the players, which he did.

If we talked to him before he signed with Michigan, which is him formally quitting, then it's tampering. Even after that it's still a gray area unless SF formally fires him.

Verbally, yes. I don't know that SF agreed to relinquish his rights. They verbally agreed to end his time there, but the official reason seems to be that he's signing with Michigan.

They know they could get a pick - and any pick is better than no pick - for him. They're not dumb enough to let him go when people would pay them for him. Except they don't get to throw tampering charges against college teams.

Also if the next guy flops for 3 years they'd lose the opportunity to claim he quit on the franchise and the players, which he did.

it was a game of chicken and they both blinked.  

the way the story was written implies that Harbaugh is free to do what he wants.   I doubt he walks away if he's precluded from coaching in the NFL.  

it was a game of chicken and they both blinked.  

the way the story was written implies that Harbaugh is free to do what he wants.   I doubt he walks away if he's precluded from coaching in the NFL.

1. Implies is a matter of opinion. On paper his NFL rights belong to the 9ers.

2. A deal was done with the job he wanted already.

3. I have little doubt that the Jets put informal/indirect feelers out to his agent, as I'm sure others like Oakland did. Through Casserly through someone else, etc. They felt him out and he wanted Michigan. If he didn't, he wouldn't be signing there.

1. Implies is a matter of opinion. On paper his NFL rights belong to the 9ers.

2. A deal was done with the job he wanted already.

3. I have little doubt that the Jets put informal/indirect feelers out to his agent, as I'm sure others like Oakland did. Through Casserly through someone else, etc. They felt him out and he wanted Michigan. If he didn't, he wouldn't be signing there.

correct, I am 100% sure flyers were put out to those who know him. He decided that the Stanford aka college days provided a mellower lifestyle and you dont deal with ego of owners and egos of millionaire players, throw in its his alma mater, bingo!!

Archived