Should Jets Consider Bills Castoff Mike Williams?

JetNation

As camp fodder? Not much.

My point was more that I didn't think Steve Smith going to Baltimore was a similar situation or a good comparison. Smith is a hard-working smurf veteran WR past his prime, who's a dick. Williams is a lazy, young, physical specimen WR with some past success, who SHOULD be enjoying the prime of his career but who no one wants, and who is also a dick.

But I don't have a problem with us bringing him in with no guaranteed money up front. If he acts up it'll be good for Bowles to make an example out of him in front of his new team.

There could be some other problems he has that I don't know about that would have me pass on him no matter how cheap, but let him compete like he's a UDFA. If he's learned nothing the past 2 seasons then we dump him early.

And what if he is productive for the Jets for 2 or 3 games before reverting to dickhood?  That could happen.  Then you cannot get a suitable replacement.  Forget him.  Pick a reasonably sane option.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And what if he is productive for the Jets for 2 or 3 games before reverting to dickhood?  That could happen.  Then you cannot get a suitable replacement.  Forget him.  Pick a reasonably sane option.

Well this concern of yours presumes that there's anyone, in spring free agency or the draft, that we'll pass on because we picked up Mike Williams off the scrap heap in February/March. A player so trusted he'll get zero (or minimal) signing bonus/guaranteed money from us.

I'd like to give any GM the benefit of the doubt that they wouldn't change any offseason plans simply because they picked up a troublemaker that 2 franchises got rid of in back to back seasons.

The only replacement we'd need is to the #5 WR, since that's the guy who got bumped out of a roster spot. The next guy on the depth chart isn't getting bumped off the team because an unreliable long-term player may have briefly earned the starting job over the summer.

Our strategy and acquisitions is identical whether he's signed or not. Otherwise I'm totally against wasting 5 seconds of time of our GM or any/all coaches.

Well this concern of yours presumes that there's anyone, in spring free agency or the draft, that we passed on because we'll pick up Mike Williams off the scrap heap in February/March. A player so trusted he'll get zero (or minimal) signing bonus/guaranteed money from us.

I'd like to give any GM the benefit of the doubt that they wouldn't change any offseason plans simply because they picked up a troublemaker that 2 franchises got rid of in back to back seasons.

The only replacement we'd need is to the #5 WR, since that's the guy who got bumped out of a roster spot. The next guy on the depth chart isn't getting bumped off the team because an unreliable long-term player may have briefly earned the starting job over the summer.

Our strategy and acquisitions is identical whether he's signed or not. Otherwise I'm totally against wasting 5 seconds of time of our GM or any/all coaches.

Not sure why people see "take a look at" as "sign to long term deal with tons of guaranteed money and build offense around"

Bring him in to compete and if he reverts to 2012 form, he has #1/#2 potential. If not, cut him and move on.

Not sure why people see "take a look at" as "sign to long term deal with tons of guaranteed money and build offense around"

Bring him in to compete and if he reverts to 2012 form, he has #1/#2 potential. If not, cut him and move on.

What you fail to see, no matter how many people beat you over the head with it, is that the only form he will revert to is being a major schmuck that any smart football team will not want anywhere near their locker room.

What you fail to see, no matter how many people beat you over the head with it, is that the only form he will revert to is being a major schmuck that any smart football team will not want anywhere near their locker room.

Riiiiiight

Guys like Williams are for teams snug against the cap trying to fill a need due to injuries ect.

Jets have 50 million, Decker/Kerley & we don't know yet what we have in last years draft pick Shaq Evans.

Pass on d*ckheads

Guys like Williams are for teams snug against the cap trying to fill a need due to injuries ect.

Jets have 50 million, Decker/Kerley & we don't know yet what we have in last years draft pick Shaq Evans.

Pass on d*ckheads

Still haven't heard a positive word about Shaq but I do like Enunwa. 

Archived