2015 New York Yankees Baseball Thread

Jetlife33

CC Sabathia pitched in a minor league game this afternoon and allowed four runs on five hits (two homers) and two walks in five innings. He struck out seven, sat 88-91 and touched 92, and threw 69 total pitches. Masahiro Tanaka and Adam Warren threw bullpen sessions and Jacoby Ellsbury (oblique) took full batting practice for the first time since getting hurt. [Wally Matthews, Brendan Kuty, Nicholas Flammia, Erik Boland]

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brendan Ryan SS

Chase Headley 3B

John Ryan Murphy C

Alex Rodriguez 1B

Stephen Drew 2B

Rob Refsnyder DH

Ramon Flores RF

Slade Heathcott CF

Jonathan Galvez LF

RHP Nathan Eovaldi

Yankees lineup today vs the Astros. AROD gets his first start at 1b.

Didi Gregorius stood at his locker flexing his left wrist this morning. He said it already feels better than it did last night, and he’s confident he’ll be ready for Opening Day.

“It’s good right now,” Gregorius said. “I can move it really good.”

Gregorius wore a brace to bed last night, but he had it off this morning. He said he’ll go through typical treatment today, and he thinks playing in a game Wednesday is reasonable.

By the way, he still hasn’t seen the play that hurt him.

“I felt it,” he said. “So I already know how it is.”

• The Yankees have released Scott Baker but hope to re-sign him for their Triple-A rotation. The team had to either let Baker go or pay him a retention bonus. He pitched his way into the conversation for a long relief job, but it seems yesterday’s rough second inning wiped out that opportunity.

• Kyle Davies has been reassigned to minor league camp, and Bryan Mitchell has been optioned to Triple-A. Both will jump into the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre rotation, Brian Cashman said. Without Baker, Davies or Mitchell, it seems Chase Whitley is the standout candidate if the Yankees choose to carry a second long reliever

• Although Cashman stopped well short of calling Jacob Lindgren a favorite for a roster spot, he said there’s a reason he’s still pitching in major league games this late in camp. Seems Lindgren still has a legitimate chance to break camp with the team.

UPDATE, 2:20 p.m.: Alex Rodriguez is out of the game after four innings. Looks like he’s fine. He’s currently sitting with the coaches outside the dugout. He’s not in the trainer’s room or anything. Also, the Yankees are now up 3-0. Rodriguez singled, Refsnyder walked and Slade Heathcott stayed hot with an RBI single in the fourth.

The Yankees beat the Astros 7-0 this afternoon. Chase Headley (3-for-4 with a double and a homer) and Rob Refsnyder (2-for-3 with two doubles) were the stars on offense. Stephen Drew and John Ryan Murphy both went 1-for-4 with a double and Alex Rodriguez went 1-for-1 with a walk. A-Rod played three innings at first base and supposedly did fine, though he only had to make routine plays.

Nathan Eovaldi started and was again very good, striking out five and allowing three hits in 4.2 innings. He threw 89 pitches, so it wasn’t his most economical outing. Eovaldi has 14 strikeouts and no walks in 13.2 Grapefruit League innings.

Bases who's still on the major league roster in camp here is my shot at guessing the major league roster on Opening Day:

Masahiro Tanaka RHP
CC Sabathia LHP
Michael Pineda RHP
Nathan Eovaldi RHP
Adam Warren RHP

Dellin Betances RHP
Andrew Miller LHP 
David Carpenter RHP
Chasen Shreve LHP
Justin Wilson LHP
Andrew Bailey RHP
Chase Whitley RHP

Jacoby Ellsbury CF
Brett Gardner LF
Carlos Beltran RF
Mark Teixeira 1B
Brian McCann C
Alex Rodriguez DH
Chase Headley 3B
Stephen Drew 2B
Didi Gregorius SS

John Ryan Murphy C
Garrett Jones OF/1B
Brendan Ryan IF
Chris Young OF

DL: Ivan Nova RHP, Chris Capuano LHP, Jose Pirela IF/OF

Bases who's still on the major league roster in camp here is my shot at guessing the major league roster:

Masahiro Tanaka RHP

CC Sabathia LHP

Michael Pineda RHP

Nathan Eovaldi RHP

Adam Warren RHP

Dellin Betances RHP

Andrew Miller LHP

David Carpenter RHP

Chasen Shreve LHP

Justin Wilson LHP

Andrew Bailey RHP

Chase Whitley RHP

Jacoby Ellsbury CF

Brett Gardner LF

Carlos Beltran RF

Mark Teixeira 1B

Brian McCann C

Alex Rodriguez DH

Chase Headley 3B

Stephen Drew 2B

Didi Gregorius SS

John Ryan Murphy C

Garrett Jones OF/1B

Brendan Ryan IF

Chris Young OF

DL: Ivan Nova RHP, Chris Capuano LF, Jose Pirela IF/OF

Sounds about right, only thing I'm not sure of is if Bailey makes the team for opening day or not. Im rooting for him no doubt.

Has Bailey pitched back to back days yet? I'm afraid Rogers might get the nod to start the season. We shall see.

I see both Whitley and Rogers as long men/spot starters. I went with Whitley because he's out pitched Rogers in camp. Don't think it makes sense to have both. 

• Girardi said there’s no real concern about Mark Teixeira after he was hit by a pitch to the knee in a minor league game this afternoon. Teixeira got some ice treatment and is expected to play again — as scheduled — on Wednesday. Didi Gregorius is also still on track for Wednesday, and Jacoby Ellsbury remains on track to play Tuesday.

• As the Yankees head into a Monday off day, Girardi said he hopes to set his roster — picking a backup catcher and deciding on the final two spots in the bullpen — before Saturday’s exhibition game in D.C. “I would hope we would have everything done before we go,” Girardi said. “Sometimes you don’t, because there might be other things involved that are out of my control.”

• Even with Esmil Rogers and Chase Whitley pitching out of the bullpen today — and seemingly every other rotation candidate shipped out of camp — Girardi is still not ready to name Adam Warren his fifth starter. “I haven’t had a chance to talk to some other players I need to talk to before I make any more announcements,” he said.

• While Girardi has said a few times that he’s not sure he’ll set a closer before the end of spring training, he said that if does make such a decision, he’ll make it known. The closer role won’t be a mystery heading into Opening Day. “Whatever we have the first game, there will be a plan in place on what we’re going to do,” Girardi said. “If I was to name a closer, I’d make it public.”

• Another good start for Nathan Eovaldi who went 4.2 scoreless innings with three hits, no walks and five strikeouts. It’s been a good and encouraging spring for him. “Just being able to use all four of my pitches (has been the best thing),” Eovaldi said. “Last year it was either fastball or slider. Now I’ve been able to mix in the curveball first pitch, using the split, and then being able to elevate with the fastball as well.”

• Girardi on Eovaldi: “He’s had a really good spring. I thought he pitched really well again today. He’s got a lot of life on his fastball. I think his split has developed, I think his curveball, he uses it effectively, his slider, I like what I see. He holds runners. We like him.”

• After being stretched out most of the spring, Chase Whitley faced just one batter today. He entered in the middle of an inning and got a strikeout to end it. Now that he’s working with a windup, Whitley said it actually felt important to have a day like this when he didn’t know when he was coming into a game. He had to get ready fairly quickly, and he’ll have to do that if he has a bullpen role this season.

Archived