2015 New York Yankees Baseball Thread

Jetlife33

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol what a slopfest the bottom of this 8th inning has been. It's only game 2 on a cold, sh*tty day in NYC, but this was an uglyyy inning for Toronto. Arod is a 40-year-old glorified DH and he's probably still a top 3 bat on this team, gross.

Yeah it's quite depressing. This offense needs some life from the right side. Beltran is just horrible.

Through their first 16 innings of the season, the Yankees had just two runs on seven hits, but in that eighth inning they loaded the bases with no outs. Chris Young, who led off the inning with a pinch-hit double, scored on a wild pitch to pull within a run. Carlos Beltran struck out, Mark Teixeira was intentionally walked, and Brian McCann was hit by a pitch to bring in the tying run. It was Chase Headley, the Yankees’ biggest offseason investment, who delivered the go-ahead run on an RBI single off pitcher Brett Cecil’s glove.

“I’ve said all spring that I think we’re capable scoring runs a lot of different ways,” Brett Gardner said. “It was pretty unconventional there in the eighth, but however we can score three runs, we’ll definitely take it.”

• Big picture, the best part of tonight might not have been the eighth-inning rally. It might have been the way Michael Pineda pitched. On the kind of night that led Pineda to desperately throw some pine tar on his neck a year ago, he did a nice job limiting the damage whenever he got into trouble. He got big outs when he had to, and it’s hard to be upset with two runs through six innings on a night like this against a Blue Jays lineup like this. “I thought he was really good considering the elements that he had to battle,” Girardi said. “To give us six strong innings, I thought he was really good.”

• Saw a lot of good changeups from Pineda tonight. That’s a pitch he didn’t have — at least not like this — when the Yankees acquired him. “All hitters, they don’t know about my changesup,” Pineda said. “I’m working really hard in the offseason to be better with my changeup, so now I have a good changeup and it’s working. It’s helping me a lot on the mound.”

• Another rocky outing for Betances who walked two. “Just my offspeed (was a problem),” he said. “I feel like it was breaking too much away from right-handed hitters. I’ve got to be able to throw it for strikes and try to start it more toward the hitter on the outside corner. … I feel good though. I feel real good. It’s just small things here and there. I’m sure I’ll be fine tomorrow when my name is called.”

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I'll be shocked if CC has a solid start tonight. Jays lineup is a tough matchup for him. Also freezing in NY.

Jacoby Ellsbury CF

Alex Rodriguez DH

Carlos Beltran RF

Mark Teixeira 1B

Chase Headley 3B

Chris Young LF

John Ryan Murphy C

Gregorio Petit 2B

Didi Gregorius SS

LHP CC Sabathia

Archived