2015 New York Yankees Baseball Thread

Jetlife33

Jacoby Ellsbury went for an MRI and has been diagnosed with a low grade oblique strain, the Yankees announced. He’ll be shut down for the next seven days. Opening Day is 18 days away now, so there’s still time for Ellsbury to rest, heal up, and get ready for the start of the season. Any sort of setback might force him to start the regular season on the DL, however.

Just shut him down until it is 100%.  I don't care if he misses the first 2 weeks, let it heal 100%.   Not 95%, all the way. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAB

Also, tonight’s game is your last chance to see the Yankees for a while. There will be no video broadcast for either Friday’s game or Saturday’s game. No YES, no MLB.tv, nothing. Next time we’ll see the Yankees after tonight is Sunday, when CC Sabathia faces Matt Harvey in Port St. Lucie. 

RAB

I'm pretty excited to see Eovaldi this season, if that splitter becomes at least an average pitch it could really propel him to top the rotation guy. Esmil Rogers  on the other hand, I have no idea what the Yankees see in this guy, I wouldn't of giving him a major league contract. 

I'm pretty excited to see Eovaldi this season, if that splitter becomes at least an average pitch it could really propel him to top the rotation guy. Esmil Rogers on the other hand, I have no idea what the Yankees see in this guy, I wouldn't of giving him a major league contract.

If you head over to Riveraveblues.com there's a great piece on Eovaldis 2015 season preview by Mike Axisa that was posted today. I'm excited as well. As for Rogers, I agree with you. Despite Rogers strong spring I've been rooting for Warren to win the 5th starters job, he's been equally as good, minus a few K's.

I've been so impressed with Didi Gregorious this spring. His defense which is heavily documented is really, really good. Not only that but I like his approach at the plate. He's taking a lot of pitches, working some walks and elevating the pitchers pitch count. He just worked the count 3-2, fouled multiple pitches off and singled up the middle vs a lefty pitcher which is noted as his Achilles heel. I hope this guy continues with this approach as the season starts.

UPDATE, 1:15 p.m.: First time at the plate all spring, Brendan Ryan works a legitimately impressive at-bat and lines a hard RBI double to left field. Brian McCann just followed with a hard single to center and it’s a 2-0 Yankees lead before making an out. Alfredo Simon being knocked around so far.

UPDATE, 1:20 p.m.: Yankees optioned OF Tyler Austin, RHP Danny Burawa and LHP Jose De Paula to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, and OF Mason Williams to Double-A Trenton. Reliever Wilking Rodriguez was reassigned to minor league camp. Nick Rumbelow’s locker looked cleared out this morning, but apparently he’s still in camp.

UPDATE, 2:35 p.m.: Alex Rodriguez just hit his second home run of the spring. He got it just over the wall in right field (went opposite field). It must have hit something on the other side of the wall, because something about the way the ball reacted after it cleared the fence made Rodriguez think it might have hit the wall. He retreated for a bit, then continued around the bases. It was weird, but it was a homer, and Rodriguez heard a lot of boos — mixed with plenty of cheers — as he rounded the bases.

UPDATE, 2:56 p.m.: Starters are out of the game for the Yankees. Chris Martin in to pitch after Warren went five innings, four hits, one run, no walks and three strikeouts. If this is the first round of the fifth-starter competition, Warren seems to have a substantial lead on Esmil Rogers.

• CC Sabathia is making the trip to Port St. Lucie tomorrow, which seems like an unusually long trip for a veteran like Sabathia. He said the idea is to let him get into a competitive situation since he missed so much time last season. Might have stayed back to pitch a simulated game most springs, but this year Sabathia’s happy to get the game action.

• Speaking of Mitchell, he’s making the trip to face the Nationals on Monday. The Yankees haven’t announced a starter for that day, but it seems a smart bet that Mitchell will get the ball that day. Davies is also on that trip, but Girardi has said he wants to give Mitchell another start, so I’m guessing that will happen on Monday.

Andrew Bailey is making his second spring training appearance. He pitched an inning against the Braves earlier this week. … Michael Pineda has looked awfully sharp so far this spring. Seems like he could be an Opening Day alternative should either CC Sabathia or Masahiro Tanaka need an extra day or two before making their season debut. … Backup catcher candidates Austin Romine and John Ryan Murphy are each getting turns at DH today.

UPDATE, 1:14 p.m.: So Michael Pineda’s day is off to a rough start. He allowed a one-out triple and a two-run homer in the first inning. The highlight of the whole thing is that Chris Young very nearly robbed the homer, but in the process, his glove fell off his hand and landed on the other side of the wall. Brett Gardner ran over from left field, climbed over the wall, threw the glove back over the wall — threw the ball, too — then climbed back over.

Archived