Seth Walder Short Piece on Ridley Fumble Concerns

AFJF

Good info

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/stevan-ridley-fumbling-problem-blog-entry-1.2179077?utm_content=buffer4257b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=swalder+twitter

Stevan Ridley was benched in 2013 for fumbling in three consecutive games.

By reputation, new Jets acquisition Stevan Ridley has an issue with fumbling. That likely comes from the fact that he was publicly benched in 2013 after three consecutive games with fumbles.

But does he actually have a fumbling problem?

Over the course of Ridley’s regular season career, he has fumbled eight times on 649 rushes. He also fumbled once on a receiving play, but for the sake of the information we’re comparing right now, we’ll have to put that one to the side. 

RELATED: SHELDON RICHARDSON SAYS GANG GREEN D WILL BE BEST

Ridley’s eight fumbles on 649 rushes means he averages a fumble every 81.1 carries. How does that compare to league averages?

Last year, running backs averaged fumbling about once every 110.5 carries, according to Football Outsiders. The two years before that, however, the average was once every 103.9 carries and once every 90.7 carries, respectively. 

It looks like Ridley is an above-average but not egregious fumbler. 

Another way to look at the data makes it look a little less dramatic still: running backs fumbled on 1.1% of their rushes in 2012, 1% in 2013, and .9% in 2014, totaling a three year average of 1%. Ridley has fumbled on 1.23% of his career rushing attempts. And that’s actually slightly better than Chris Ivory (1.26%).

I like Ridley as a runner, but my butt puckered everytime he touched the ball. 

From what I remeber, short of the Baltimore playoff game where he was knocked unconcious, it never seemed to be a jarring hit that caused the fumble.  He would get popped and be fine.  Then an punch of the ball or incidental contact on the ball would cause it to hit the ground.

I like Ridley as a runner, but my butt puckered everytime he touched the ball.

From what I remeber, short of the Baltimore playoff game where he was knocked unconcious, it never seemed to be a jarring hit that caused the fumble. He would get popped and be fine. Then an punch of the ball or incidental contact on the ball would cause it to hit the ground.

That hit Pollard laid on him in the AFCCG was crazy.....that was a huge play in the game too. Like you said, can't fault the guy on that one, he was knocked unconscious.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I was surprised to see he had better numbers than Ivory because you don't hear about Ivory having fumble issues at all compared to Ridley.

Half of Ivory's fumbles came during his rookie year.  He fumbled 4 times in 2010 as a rookie and four times in the 4 seasons since his rookie year on 500 carries.  His ball security has been better than average over the past 4 seasons.

Half of Ivory's fumbles came during his rookie year.  He fumbled 4 times in 2010 as a rookie and four times in the 4 seasons since his rookie year on 500 carries.  His ball security has been better than average over the past 4 seasons.

Agreed...could also say a big chunk of Ridley's fumbles came in a bad month when he had three in three games. Obviously just hoping it's a non-issue moving forward.

Archived