Will Bowles Stretch Jets run of Success With Rookie Head Coaches?

JetNation

OL---130

RB---110

TEs---110

Safeties---120

DL---130

Corners---120

WRs---110

Push

QBs

LBs

Special Team

Thats my quick, rough rankings of positions with ratings. And Im rating it based on the inferior talent being a 100.

QB is obviously the position that matters most...if Geno is terrible again, Fitz is a far better option at QB than Sanchez was.  Sanchez went 12 TD 20 INT 53.8% comp pct in '09.  In his last five seasons, Fitz has thrown 113 TD's to 74 INT's and completed fewer than 60% of his passes just once and a career best of 63.1% last year.  Not even close IMO. 

Sparano took a 1-15 team and won the East in year one 11-5.. And before you say Brady was hurt game 1 2008 Brady didn't play when the Tuna was HC either..

Great point Savage...I also love the fact that the Jets were idiots to hire Sparano as the OC after Parcells hired him as his OC and got him the HC gig in Miami IIRC.  Bill thought even more of Sparano than the Jets did.

QB is obviously the position that matters most...if Geno is terrible again, Fitz is a far better option at QB than Sanchez was.  Sanchez went 12 TD 20 INT 53.8% comp pct in '09.  In his last five seasons, Fitz has thrown 113 TD's to 74 INT's and completed fewer than 60% of his passes just once and a career best of 63.1% last year.  Not even close IMO. 

One thing I always like to post to tweak the Kenny O fans is in his career both passing and rushing tds Kenny was 128 tds and 98 picks. Fitz has 134 tds and 101 picks.. :winking0001:

There's really nothing in the team's control to dictate whether the are in/out of the playoffs with 9 wins. Mangini's last year, Rex first year. Dumb luck and math has to step in.

True. I say that because 9 wins wouldn't be anything to thump your chest to. Now if he was to make the playoffs with those 9 wins, that means something.

Pats missed the playoffs with 11 wins when Brady went down in 07 (?). Now if we were to win 7 games and get a home playoff game (improbable, but happened last year with Panthers), thats not an achievement either. "Dumb luck" like you said it.

Sparano took a 1-15 team and won the East in year one 11-5.. And before you say Brady was hurt game 1 2008 Brady didn't play when the Tuna was HC either..

Sparano was actually a decent HC, and terrible coordinator. Bizarro world Rex.

i made reference to this in a post earlier this year.  I think the first year success of our coaches (using other regimes players) has led us to grossly overrate them and subsequently keep them around too long......from Groh to Herm to Mangenius (even the Sopranos got in on that one)to Rex we start off with a playoff appearance and coronate these guys going into year 2.  These coaches peak in their first year and have a downward trajectory after

i made reference to this in a post earlier this year. I think the first year success of our coaches (using other regimes players) has led us to grossly overrate them and subsequently keep them around too long......from Groh to Herm to Mangenius (even the Sopranos got in on that one)to Rex we start off with a playoff appearance and coronate these guys going into year 2. These coaches peak in their first year and have a downward trajectory after

Well in all fairness Herm made the playoffs his first 2 years and won the division year 2. While Rex had a better year 2 record wise and repeated an AFCCG loss. But I get what you're saying.

Well in all fairness Herm made the playoffs his first 2 years and won the division year 2. While Rex had a better year 2 record wise and repeated an AFCCG loss. But I get what you're saying.

They won the division in 2002 thanks to the Fins blowing a 4 quarter lead and went away from running Rickey Williams.. Plus the play of Chad who along with Vinny was left by the previous regime.. Mangini was left Chad and then got Favre yet it was Chad with the Fins that won the East in 2008. What QB was Rex left?? Oh yeah Clemens. :animal0029:

One thing I always like to post to tweak the Kenny O fans is in his career both passing and rushing tds Kenny was 128 tds and 98 picks. Fitz has 134 tds and 101 picks.. :winking0001:

The passing game is completely different today, Fitzs numbers would be different if he played in the 80's

Someone forgot to tell Marino who passed for over 5,000 yds and 48 tds in 1984..

Which of course has nothing to do with it. And a weak armed midget breaks his records now. It's a different game, Marino would have thrown for 6K

Which of course has nothing to do with it. And a weak armed midget breaks his records now. It's a different game, Marino would have thrown for 6K

If your talking about the rule changes that favor the O I agree it's different today plus I have to keep in mind your a big Kenny fan..LOL I would have loved to see a young Namath with healthy knees play in today's NFL..

They won the division in 2002 thanks to the Fins blowing a 4 quarter lead and went away from running Rickey Williams.. Plus the play of Chad who along with Vinny was left by the previous regime.. Mangini was left Chad and then got Favre yet it was Chad with the Fins that won the East in 2008. What QB was Rex left?? Oh yeah Clemens. :animal0029:

If I recall correctly the Jets also had to beat Green Bay that final week, which they did.

If your talking about the rule changes that favor the O I agree it's different today plus I have to keep in mind your a big Kenny fan..LOL I would have loved to see a young Namath with healthy knees play in today's NFL..

LOL, i would love to see what Namath would do to defenses if he played under todays rules.  Especially if he got to play in an era with todays medicine.  His first knee injury would have been scoped and he wouldn't have had as much damage done to his knee from the procedure as he had from the hit to the knee.  Shame. 

Didn't we beat the Colts 41-0 the week after? Pretty good 2nd year.

41-0 over Manning in the Meadowlands, Chad had a great day, perfect rating I think.  He also had a great game with 4 TDs the week before to blow out the Packers and Favre who were 12-3 coming into that game.  7 TDs in two games over top competition, not bad is right.  Was his first year starting, third year in the league

I think Herm was the first Jets Head Coach ever to make the playoffs his first year.

It depends what the former regime left you Kotite went 10-6 as a rookie HC for the Eagles and 11-5 his 2nd year.. Herm was left a team that in 1999 was a Bowl favorite plus had 4 number 1 picks in their 2nd year from Groh one of which was Chad plus Vinny..

It depends what the former regime left you Kotite went 10-6 as a rookie HC for the Eagles and 11-5 his 2nd year.. Herm was left a team that in 1999 was a Bowl favorite plus had 4 number 1 picks in their 2nd year from Groh one of which was Chad plus Vinny..

I mean I guess. Parcells was left with a 1-15 team and he won 9 games his first year and 12 the following year.

41-0 over Manning in the Meadowlands, Chad had a great day, perfect rating I think.  He also had a great game with 4 TDs the week before to blow out the Packers and Favre who were 12-3 coming into that game.  7 TDs in two games over top competition, not bad is right.  Was his first year starting, third year in the league. 

Yea but Herm was  a bad HC so that couldn't have happened. :)

I laugh when folks say Herm had this juggernaut of a team that he inherited.  The Jets made the playoffs twice in the four years prior to Herms appointment and had an aging QB in Vinny leading them.  Herm also was the last Jet HC to win the division, in a then very tough division...

And the same folks who say Herm favored the complier Martin to much fail to see that we haven't had a RB be as consistent as Martin was since his departure.... Sorry Lamont Jordan and Shawn Greene and TJ didn't fit the bill and will need a ticket to visit the NFL Hall of Fame..

Groh didn't make the playoffs and every coach on the Jets left including Parcells because they all knew that the team was in DECLINE!!! The idea that Groah left a SB bound Jets for a college gig is laughable on its face.

And how many number 1's were on the Jets under Rex's tenure, I believe more than with Herm!!

The idea that we were the 60's Packers and Herm somehow blew it is NONSENSE!!  Herm was an average HC, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, who took an ever weakening QB in Chad as far as he could.

Injuries to Chad and (Jay Fielder) on back to back series and so on destroyed the most promising potential in the Herm Jet tenure.  Key player during those years specifically credited Herm with their grow including but limited to Coles and Chad himself....

The inane INSANITY that Herm somehow sucked because he couldn't get Brooks Bollinger to play like Namath tells you all you need to know. Yea folks will say Herm was bad at clock management (he was) but then these same folks will say Rex isn't responsible for clock management that he is absolved from six years of bad clock management and crucial mistakes by the team at critical moments because the other coaches didn't do their jobs...  It's a Joke

In fact people literally blamed Herm for having Brooks Bollinger, a lifetime mediocre player who Geno Smith is definitely better than, not playing at a higher level but exonerated Rex for players openly admitting that they weren't prepared to play (think Vick) saying that is on the  players....

And people forget this was when the Pats were better then and were cheating then.....

It is all good but the idea that the same arguments people levied against Herm couldn't be doubled down against Rex is mind boggling to me...

Yea but Herm was  a bad HC so that couldn't have happened. :)

I laugh when folks say Herm had this juggernaut of a team that he inherited.  The Jets made the playoffs twice in the four years prior to Herms appointment and had an aging QB in Vinny leading them.  Herm also was the last Jet HC to win the division, in a then very tough division...

And the same folks who say Herm favored the complier Martin to much fail to see that we haven't had a RB be as consistent as Martin was since his departure.... Sorry Lamont Jordan and Shawn Greene and TJ didn't fit the bill and will need a ticket to visit the NFL Hall of Fame..

Groh didn't make the playoffs and every coach on the Jets left including Parcells because they all knew that the team was in DECLINE!!! The idea that Groah left a SB bound Jets for a college gig is laughable on its face.

And how many number 1's were on the Jets under Rex's tenure, I believe more than with Herm!!

The idea that we were the 60's Packers and Herm somehow blew it is NONSENSE!!  Herm was an average HC, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT, who took an ever weakening QB in Chad as far as he could.

Injuries to Chad and (Jay Fielder) on back to back series and so on destroyed the most promising potential in the Herm Jet tenure.  Key player during those years specifically credited Herm with their grow including but limited to Coles and Chad himself....

The inane INSANITY that Herm somehow sucked because he couldn't get Brooks Bollinger to play like Namath tells you all you need to know. Yea folks will say Herm was bad at clock management (he was) but then these same folks will say Rex isn't responsible for clock management that he is absolved from six years of bad clock management and crucial mistakes by the team at critical moments because the other coaches didn't do their jobs...  It's a Joke

In fact people literally blamed Herm for having Brooks Bollinger, a lifetime mediocre player who Geno Smith is definitely better than, not playing at a higher level but exonerated Rex for players openly admitting that they weren't prepared to play (think Vick) saying that is on the  players....

And people forget this was when the Pats were better then and were cheating then.....

It is all good but the idea that the same arguments people levied against Herm couldn't be doubled down against Rex is mind boggling to me...

How'd Herm do in KC?

Archived