The last Jets WR to reach the 1000 yard mark was...

predator_05

I agree with this. it's not like he can run a passing offense thru EJ Manuel. You build your offense around the personnel you have

Passing offense, balanced and ground and pound are all 3 distinct things, and I just do not believe the Rex offense is sustainable because it is too predictable and easy to defend, You can be a power run team, but you need balance especially on first and second down to keep the box from being stacked and get more favorable third down situations for the QB. You don't need a 4000 yard passer, but you do need to pass enough to make the power run game effective especially early since defenses do tire and late in games with a lead you can afford to not be balanced if you have sustained offense. Rex's idea of a pass was wildcat, and he forced runs on first and second down way too much. His version of run oriented is just brain dead.

Agreed, and I think it's more that he's done what's been asked of him (in terms of gross numbers) than that he's done the max of what he's capable of. His gross yardage #s are lower than a lot of other QBs but at the same time Bevell/Carroll save a lot of his pass attempts for obvious passing downs. And the reason Seattle can play this way is because Wilson's passer rating on 2nd & 10+ is off the charts. Last year it was 122; in 2013 it was 140 (!). That kind of safety net can make a lot of fools look otherwise.

So true. Wilson is really, really good. His efficiency is off the charts and he always seems to make the right play at the right time with minimal turnovers.

As crazy as it sounds, I think he's quite underrated. If Seattle were to let Wilson go loose, he'd be putting up Luck/Manning/Brady numbers year over year. He's worth $25 mil+ per, easy. If I were the Jets, I'd pay that much for him, possibly more.

So true. Wilson is really, really good. His efficiency is off the charts and he always seems to make the right play at the right time with minimal turnovers.

As crazy as it sounds, I think he's quite underrated. If Seattle were to let Wilson go loose, he'd be putting up Luck/Manning/Brady numbers year over year. He's worth $25 mil+ per, easy. If I were the Jets, I'd pay that much for him, possibly more.

I don't know what type of #s he would put up. But all those 1st & 10 plays where they run Lynch up the gut for no gain (or a loss), then sometimes with a penalty in there making it 2nd & 15, then tell Wilson to pass when defenses are keying on the pass far more than the run? And his passer rating on those downs, over the past 2 seasons, is in the 130-range? C'mon. That's not Lynch or the defense making every job of his easy, which I hear an awful lot. That's performing at - or above - an elite level.

How many times have we groaned for years after 1st down run, 2nd & 10+ pass (incomplete), then 3rd & long either incomplete or completed for minimal yardage, or a draw play designed more to add 5 yards to the punt than to make a serious attempt at converting a 1st down? Imagine if the QB's passer rating on 2nd & 10+ was better than anyone could reasonably hope to have, and how much of a luxury that affords an uncreative or predictable offensive coordinator.

The success on plays like this is why a team with a strong defense and ground game (both aided immensely by having Wilson at QB), their full-season starter QB is #1 or #2 in the NFL in % of pass attempts being deep pass attempts (% of attempts where the ball travels 15+ yards from the LOS). I'd typically expect one high on dumpoffs and "safe" pass attempts (or maybe I've just been a Jets fan the past decade and a half).

Archived