Around the NFL - Pain Rankings

jamesr

The Jets have cost me a wife, a Master's degree, and a fulfilling life.

Sounds about right....... go ahead and switch teams though loser. I know you won't do it, we're drawn to this team for the same reason a moth flies to a flame. I can't begin to understand why. Those adults in Switzerland are smashing atoms in an attempt to understand the building blocks of the universe and our unrealistic love for the Jets will still never be quantifiable

I would put Cleveland and Detroit as 1 and 2 since NEITHER has EVER reached the Super Bowl. The Jets haven't been there in a long a$$ time, but we do have one Lombardi Trophy. The Bills would be number 3 with the Jets 4th. Pain is part of what it is to be a Jets fan. The refs don't respect us and we get the most God awful calls you can imagine - usually at the WORST possible time - but maybe with ref-baiter Rex gone it will get better. I never saw a HC with less knowledge of the challenge rules than Rex. And he ALWAYS slammed his clipboard down - even when he was wrong, which was MOST of the time.

How important is the super bowl to you? The Browns won plenty before the super bowl era and does the 5 years between their last NFL title and Joe Willie really mean that much in the grand scheme of things? 

Easily the Browns IMO....one of the best fan bases in the NFL watches their team leave for another city only to win a super bowl elsewhere while importing the crap they've had to watch since coming back into the league.  That's just brutal.

Yeah.  The whole Ravens thing does make it worse, but the Browns-Ravens move was handled as compassionately as possible because the Baltimore fans (Baltimorons?) were sensitive after Mayflower moved the Colts out in the dark of night.

I would put Cleveland and Detroit as 1 and 2 since NEITHER has EVER reached the Super Bowl. The Jets haven't been there in a long a$$ time, but we do have one Lombardi Trophy. The Bills would be number 3 with the Jets 4th. Pain is part of what it is to be a Jets fan. The refs don't respect us and we get the most God awful calls you can imagine - usually at the WORST possible time - but maybe with ref-baiter Rex gone it will get better. I never saw a HC with less knowledge of the challenge rules than Rex. And he ALWAYS slammed his clipboard down - even when he was wrong, which was MOST of the time.

You really need to read mine and "Lith's" posts on the 1st page of this thread regarding Detroit. Their mentality does not allow themselves to suffer as much. Trust me.

Totally agree about Cleveland. They are a no-brainer and a deserving #1.

Jets are officially #2. A little disappointed that as a Jets fan, the writer of this series did not mention Peyton choosing another year of college, the draft day SNAFU regarding Favre, Kyle Brady over Sapp, the 1998 AFCCG turnover meltdown, the annual December swoons, and the terrible teams of the 1970s.

Not enough room for all the heartache. Still a great series of reads and Jets fans are a deserving bunch of the #2 spot. Brutal.

It is clear you have not read the pain rankings series. I suggest you do so, they are good reads. It has nothing to do with being worse than other teams but rather the relative pain that the fans have suffered throughout franchise history.

The Raiders have had many days in the sun and been on the winning end of as many crazy games as they were on the bitter side. Holy roller, Sea of hands, and Heidi vs. Tuck rule and Immaculate reception. They do not get to complain in my book.

The Jaguars barely have a fan base and haven't been around long enough to register in this series.

The Browns, well, they have a strong case to be #1.

I figure the last 3 are Jets, Bills, and Browns. The order is subjective.

The Browns have to be #1.

The Drive

The fumble

Then the team moves and wins a SB with your HOF tight end as the GM!

Then you get a new team that sucks all over.

What is worse than that?  Nothing.  You put up with a loser longer than the Jets, then they move, and win a SB within a couple years, and then win another while your new team is awful.

How important is the super bowl to you? The Browns won plenty before the super bowl era and does the 5 years between their last NFL title and Joe Willie really mean that much in the grand scheme of things? 

Yeah.  The whole Ravens thing does make it worse, but the Browns-Ravens move was handled as compassionately as possible because the Baltimore fans (Baltimorons?) were sensitive after Mayflower moved the Colts out in the dark of night.

When the Browns lost they lost on...

an interception in the end zone against the Raider because their kicker couldn't be trusted to hit a 25 yarder.

John Elway's "The Drive"

followed by, "The fumble"

Even when they were good they got kicked in the nuts

Archived