Could Darrin Walls be crucial on Monday Night?

Jetsfan80

CrazyCarl, this could be your boy's time to shine.  Here are the facts:

1.  Andre Johnson is 6 foot 3.  Donte Moncrief is 6 foot 2.  They are likely to be the top 2 WR's Luck throws to on Monday night with TY Hilton out.

2.  Revis cannot cover both. 

3.  Buster Skrine is 5-9.  Marcus Williams is 5-11, but is also pretty significantly slower than deep threat Moncrief.  Moncrief has 4.3 40 type speed, Williams is more in the 4.5 range.

4.  Darrin Walls is 6-0 and has 4.4 40 speed.  However, he also did not play a single snap against Cleveland.

We also know Revis has difficulty with straightline speed types, and will likely be matched up with Andre Johnson.  If Antonio Cromartie is not able to play this week, could Walls be the guy to face Moncrief? 

We also know Revis has difficulty with straightline speed types, and will likely be matched up with Andre Johnson. 

Andre Johnson stinks now, and since when does Revis have problems with straightline speed types?  The only people I'd say he has problems with are super-shifty ones, i.e. Stevie Johnson.

CrazyCarl, this could be your boy's time to shine.  Here are the facts:

1.  Andre Johnson is 6 foot 3.  Donte Moncrief is 6 foot 2.  They are likely to be the top 2 WR's Luck throws to on Monday night with TY Hilton out.

2.  Revis cannot cover both. 

3.  Buster Skrine is 5-9.  Marcus Williams is 5-11, but is also pretty significantly slower than deep threat Moncrief.  Moncrief has 4.3 40 type speed, Williams is more in the 4.5 range.

4.  Darrin Walls is 6-0 and has 4.4 40 speed.  However, he also did not play a single snap against Cleveland.

We also know Revis has difficulty with straightline speed types, and will likely be matched up with Andre Johnson.  If Antonio Cromartie is not able to play this week, could Walls be the guy to face Moncrief? 

There is a reason Walls didn't play a single snap. He is not as good as the rest of the guys you mentioned. I trust Marcus Williams, Buster Skrine and of course Revis far more than Walls, who may have speed, but coverage skills are a whole other thing. I also think McDougle is far superior to Walls, who gets lost in coverage.

There is a reason Walls didn't play a single snap. He is not as good as the rest of the guys you mentioned. I trust Marcus Williams, Buster Skrine and of course Revis far more than Walls, who may have speed, but coverage skills are a whole other thing. I also think McDougle is far superior to Walls, who gets lost in coverage.

Walls outplayed McDougle by a significant margin in the preseason. McDougle wasn't even active week 1, Walls was.

Andre Johnson stinks now, and since when does Revis have problems with straightline speed types?  The only people I'd say he has problems with are super-shifty ones, i.e. Stevie Johnson.

He's lost a step. 

Mike Wallace did this to him:

He's lost the "catchup speed" he had back in 2009.  To the point where if the WR beats him on the jam at the line of scrimmage, he no longer has the ability he used to have to catch up to the receiver and stay on him.  He's still a top 5 CB in the NFL, but Moncrief represents the type of WR he's going to have trouble with, and who every CB has trouble with from time to time:  Big and fast.

It's evident the staff likes Marcus Williams a lot. Walls did play, just only on specials. If Cro is out this weekend, I could see Walls getting more run, if he's playing. We'll find out more when the coach talks after practice.

Williams will definitely get the first crack at CB2 if Cro is out, with Skrine probably covering Dorsett and getting snaps against Moncrief/Johnson at times as well.  We'll see if Walls is given the chance to be the "closer". 

He's lost a step. 

Mike Wallace did this to him:

Revis.gif

He's lost the "catchup speed" he had back in 2009.  To the point where if the WR beats him on the jam at the line of scrimmage, he no longer has the ability he used to have to catch up to the receiver and stay on him.  He's still a top 5 CB in the NFL, but Moncrief represents the type of WR he's going to have trouble with, and who every CB has trouble with from time to time:  Big and fast.

Dude, that was one play, week one of last year. haha  Wallace is fast.  He had like 10 TD's last season.  This wasnt one of them. 

Walls probably doesnt play a snap again this week.  Looking at the way they used Gilchrest in the passing game, actually checking WR's at the LOS, I'd expect him to get more action there before using Walls.  Even if they want to use 2 safeties, I think they'd bring in Jarrett with Pyror and move Gilchrest up to the LOS. 

I think that I was one of the first to float this.  Walls just seems more #2 CB size.  Williams is less than an inch shorter, but he seems like a "little" guy.  A slot CB.  Interesting thing is that Gilchrist is even shorter than Williams.  As far as I can tell, our CB heights are as follows:  Cro: 6'021, Walls: 5'117, Revis: 5'110, Williams: 5'102, Gilchrist: 5"100, Skrine 5'094.  As a 5'10"-5'9" guy that thinks he is a power forward I should think they could all do it, but I just get the impression of Williams as smaller and more likely to get boxed out.  He hits though.  Apparently so does Skrine.

I disagree that Revis has trouble with any type.  I have seen no evidence of him having trouble.  Yes, he has been beaten for a play here or there.  He is human, but I have not seen him susceptible to any particular type. I will be interested to see what Bowles does.  Bowles seems more the matchup type and it will be fun to see which way he goes. 

The shame is that this is a team we could really use Cro against.  Assuming HIlton is healthy, they go at least 4 deep at legit WR and have more of the long fast types I'd match Cro up against. 

All of sudden getting a bit thin at a position we had depth at.

Exactly what we prepared for when we brought in so many corners.  The front office knew they couldn't exactly count on the health of Milliner or McDougle (rightfully so) and basically operated this offseason like they didn't even exist. 

Archived