Is Kerley out of the doghouse now?

EM31

Kerley is the best 3rd WR option for this team as currently constructed, regardless of how you want to pass the blame around

he isn't . If he starts with the 3. Defenses will really never fear the deep ball . Not that they really fear it as it is . 

Did Kerley grow four inches?

Owusu has 6 catches and 30% more yardage than Kerley despite having his knee scoped and missing three games.  He has less targets than Kerley too.  Kerley has some value, but the offense has been working.  Gailey and Bowles said that they would use him when it fit.  Hard to complain, but everybody does it anyway.

Owusu has 6 catches and 30% more yardage than Kerley despite having his knee scoped and missing three games.  He has less targets than Kerley too.  Kerley has some value, but the offense has been working.  Gailey and Bowles said that they would use him when it fit.  Hard to complain, but everybody does it anyway.

Owusu and Enunwa are both scrubs and that is an insult to scrubs.  Kerley is clearly better than both of them

he isn't . If he starts with the 3. Defenses will really never fear the deep ball . Not that they really fear it as it is . 

so sounds like you want to disagree with me ... But have no real reason you can use.

ok

well at least you aren't one pushing for Smith

Owusu also has a concussion and should probably retire at this point. 

well at least you aren't one pushing for Smith

I don't push for Smith to get more time, but he should get some.  There is definitely sloppiness there and a disconnect, but he gets open at times.  He needs to fit in, though most of that should happen during the week and not on Sundays.

Owusu also has a concussion and should probably retire at this point. 

Possibly, but his concussion history doesn't improve anyone else.

All Kerley does is make plays on Sundays.  It doesn't matter who is the coach or the OC or the QB throwing him the ball.  He makes plays on Sundays and he has always done that.  Is he ever going to be Calvin Johnson?   No he is not but he is a valuable player and we are already paying him so we should really be using him more.

It's really that easy.  The 3 bunch set with Marshall, Decker and Kerley, that should be a nightmare for teams but instead...we put guys you literally dont have to worry about in the game. 

Gailey confuses me, to say the least. 

You keep treating them like they play the same position.  A slot WR is not an outside WR.  Kerley and Decker are playing the same position.  What you want is for one of them to play out of position.  You also don't want Smith or Owusu to see playing time.  Owusu, when on he field plays his role well and Smith needs to see time to develop.  If Fitz can ever hit him with a pass will web interesting to see. 

There is nothing confusing here.  The QB is playing well, with severe limitations.  Chan is doing a good job IMO of using the personnel he has to work with.

You keep treating them like they play the same position.  A slot WR is not an outside WR.  Kerley and Decker are playing the same position.  What you want is for one of them to play out of position.  You also don't want Smith or Owusu to see playing time.  Owusu, when on he field plays his role well and Smith needs to see time to develop.  If Fitz can ever hit him with a pass will web interesting to see. 

I'm not treating anyone like anything.  The Jets are treating Kerley like the worst WR on the team and he's 100x better than Smith and Owusu.  Kerley has played outside and inside and Gailey is moving Decker and Marshall around.  There are no defined roles for the receivers on the team.  So, they are playing the same position.  They're WR's in a system that moves them all over the LOS. 

If Owusu and Smith knew how to run route and get open, like the other guys do.  They'd get the ball.  But they cant do that, so they dont.

All Kerley does is make plays on Sundays.  It doesn't matter who is the coach or the OC or the QB throwing him the ball.  He makes plays on Sundays and he has always done that.  Is he ever going to be Calvin Johnson?   No he is not but he is a valuable player and we are already paying him so we should really be using him more.

I think the trouble is that he works underneath and that is where Marshall and Decker make their money.  I am not a Kerley hater, but if things keep up like this I will probably start to come off as one.  Owusu and Smith are going to scare teams deep, at least a little bit.  I don't think Kerley ever will. OTOH, they will have no choice but to use him some and I think that Gailey has specific plays he wants to run.  When Kerley fits those he will be on the field.  It will probably vary wildly from game to game

I'm not treating anyone like anything.  The Jets are treating Kerley like the worst WR on the team and he's 100x better than Smith and Owusu.  Kerley has played outside and inside and Gailey is moving Decker and Marshall around.  There are no defined roles for the receivers on the team.  So, they are playing the same position.  They're WR's in a system that moves them all over the LOS. 

If Owusu and Smith knew how to run route and get open, like the other guys do.  They'd get the ball.  But they cant do that, so they dont.

You're still ignoring or downplaying that he plays the same role as Decker.  While hes nowhere near as good as or as important as Decker to the offense.  It's like having 3 right fielders and complaining that the 3rd right fielder should play center over a better center fielder.  Kerleys not playing outside, especially over Marshall.  Like it or not there are defined roles on the team.  Are they set in stone? No, they move out of their roles but the majority of the time Marshalls on the outside, Deckers in the slot and Owusu and/or Smith are the deeper threat, speed guys with Enunwa in for blocking. 

You're still ignoring or downplaying that he plays the same role as Decker.  While hes nowhere near as good as or as important as Decker to the offense.  It's like having 3 right fielders and complaining that the 3rd right fielder should play center over a better center fielder.  Kerleys not playing outside, especially over Marshall.  Like it or not there are defined roles on the team.  Are they set in stone? No, they move out of their roles but the majority of the time Marshalls on the outside, Deckers in the slot and Owusu and/or Smith are the deeper threat, speed guys with Enunwa in for blocking. 

I think you're missing the point here.  Owusu and Smith dont threaten anything or anyone.  Speed doesnt matter if you cant get open or connect if they are open. They're both one trick ponies and literally provide zero value in the passing game.  Whereas, Kerley is versatile and actually makes plays in the passing game. Having a vertical threat is nice but when there is zero place for it in the offense, then utilize the guys that provide value in the type of game that your effective with...which is the short to intermediate stuff.  

And Decker made plays downfield in Denver, all the time.  He was their downfield guy.  So I just all together disagree with this logic.  

This was kind of the same point I was making, but still, isn't it Gailey's job to get the best players on the field.  That is supposed to be his specialty. Kerley is not the best player, but he is an asset.  I would be nice to get a little more out of him. Kerley has been healthy all season and has less snaps than Owusu, Enunwa and Smith who all missed games.  Enunwa may have been taking snaps at H-back, but it seems odd to see him that far behind the other two.  Owusu has less catches and considerably more yards which may tell you something about the way their roles are viewed.

I think you're missing the point here.  Owusu and Smith dont threaten anything or anyone.  Speed doesnt matter if you cant get open or connect if they are open. They're both one trick ponies and literally provide zero value in the passing game.  Whereas, Kerley is versatile and actually makes plays in the passing game. Having a vertical threat is nice but when there is zero place for it in the offense, then utilize the guys that provide value in the type of game that your effective with...which is the short to intermediate stuff.  

And Decker made plays downfield in Denver, all the time.  He was their downfield guy.  So I just all together disagree with this logic.  

FWIW, even Stephen Hill caused some coverage to roll.  At least some of the time it was noticeable.

This was kind of the same point I was making, but still, isn't it Gailey's job to get the best players on the field.  That is supposed to be his specialty. Kerley is not the best player, but he is an asset.  I would be nice to get a little more out of him. Kerley has been healthy all season and has less snaps than Owusu, Enunwa and Smith who all missed games.  Enunwa may have been taking snaps at H-back, but it seems odd to see him that far behind the other two.  Owusu has less catches and considerably more yards which may tell you something about the way their roles are viewed.

FWIW, even Stephen Hill caused some coverage to roll.  At least some of the time it was noticeable.

Nobody is rolling coverage to those 2 guys.  Remember, Hill had a breakout game week 1.  2 TD's including a long ball.  So there was some success to at least force a team to recognize him on the field. Nobody is noticing Smith or Owusu.  That's why they get so much 1 on 1 coverage and Fitz doesnt have the will power not to just throw it for grabs, which neither of them have come down with.  So again, nobody is rolling anything to stop something that has never worked.

I understand the idea of stretching the field...but its not working.  Just look at how teams play the Jets.  I'd rather get a guy in there that can run all the routes and make plays.

so your answer is to bench a WR you're trying to develop over Kerley who doesn't ever see the field over Decker.  You're a immediate gratification, the hell with developing a player or team guy.  That's good but it's not what we're doing here now.  We're not Denver, they're not running that offense either.   Here Decker is the slot guy, who can go downfield at times.  That's Chans offense, that's th guy they hired to run and develop out offense.  Offense is far from a problem, WRs have been far from being a problem.  It's also nice of you a few games into Smiths career to designate him a one trick pony.  They want to develop the kid, get him on the field so Fitz can get on the same page as his speed guy.  He's getting off the line and getting open.  They need time.  And he needs to see playing time.  Over Kerley it seems

so your answer is to bench a WR you're trying to develop over Kerley who doesn't ever see the field over Decker.  You're a immediate gratification, the hell with developing a player or team guy.  That's good but it's not what we're doing here now.  We're not Denver, they're not running that offense either.   Here Decker is the slot guy, who can go downfield at times.  That's Chans offense, that's th guy they hired to run and develop out offense.  Offense is far from a problem, WRs have been far from being a problem.  It's also nice of you a few games into Smiths career to designate him a one trick pony.  They want to develop the kid, get him on the field so Fitz can get on the same page as his speed guy.  He's getting off the line and getting open.  They need time.  And he needs to see playing time.  Over Kerley it seems

Practice is for developing, which he missed a ton of.  Not in game reps.  Not when you were just playing for first place in the AFCE, something the team hasnt sniffed in over a decade.  Especially when you have the luxury the Jets have, in the fact they have 3 guys that can line up anywhere and get open (Marshall, Decker, Kerley).  

Yes, I have labelled Smith a one trick pony because right now, that's all he is.  He doesnt know where he's supposed to be, he's lining up wrong, cant get separation, so his only job is to run a go routes.  Which is a wasted play because he's not blowing by anyone and Fitz has limited arm strength.  So this isnt a debate, currently he's a one trick pony. Hopefully he develops into a great, well rounder receiver.  He's just not right now.  So play the better player, who fits what you're trying to do and that player is Jeremy Kerley.

The WR's havent been an issue, you're right.  But with Enuwa suspended, Owusu probably ending his career (if he's smart), Decker banged up, Smith banged up/not very good, no TE to speak of, WR could become a problem very quickly if something bad happens.  

And this whole idea of the speed guy/deep threat is just stupid anyway.  It's not necessary anymore.  Who's the deep threat on NE?  On GB?  San Diego?   They dont have one and they're the most prolific passing teams in the NFL. 

Archived