Stafford?

cant wait

Meh.  Just because Stafford is better than what we've had doesn't mean you give away a bunch of picks for him, if indeed the Lions were even looking to move him. 

He has a big arm, which a lot of people fall in love with, but what else does he do?  Is he accurate?  Sort of.  He has a 60.1 % completion % in his career.  Yes, that's largely because he's a deep thrower, but when you watch him play, you'll also see a ton of misfires, and it's not like he's had a shortage of weapons to throw to.  He's found new and creative ways to overthrow 6-5 Calvin Johnson, which doesn't bode well for any future destination that lacks such a special talent.  Does he command a team well?  I would assume so given how long he's been a starter and the fact that he took a poor franchise from 0-16 to an 11-5 season within just a few years.  However, I've also heard from people who have met him that he's a huge jerk.  That sometimes DOES matter, even in a sport where just about everyone is a d*ck.  Do the advanced statistics support him?  Here's his DVOA rankings year to year:

2009:  41st

2010:  21st

2011:  10th

2012:  12th

2013:  15th

2014:  21st

2015:  22nd

So the overall picture is that he's an average to above average QB and would indeed be worth trading for if available, BUT would you give up multiple first rounders to do so?  I would not.

Beware of guys going backwards.  I like Stafford to some extent, his arm and some of his play.  But he has regressed.  Also people are not exaggerating about the effect of Calvin Johnson.  There have been a lot of plays the last few years where Stafford just heaves it up for grabs knowing that megatron is going to win the battle.  In the end he is not good enough to justify the contract in imo so I pass.

what a coincidence.  Calvin Johnson gets old and is no longer the best WR by far in the NFL and Stafford regresses.

QB's who can't make pre-snap adjustments have an impact on that too.  Perfect circumstances just don't exist for any QB out there. 

that's true to an extent but you can make all the adjustments in the world and its not going to keep you from getting killed if your line can't block. Philip rivers knows a thing about making adjustments pre-snap and yet his line is a complete mess

that's true to an extent but you can make all the adjustments in the world and its not going to keep you from getting killed if your line can't block. Philip rivers knows a thing about making adjustments pre-snap and yet his line is a complete mess

That's fair, and he's been productive this year despite all of that.  But I think any weaknesses in his surrounding personnel have gotten offset for many years by the presence of Megatron, the best receiver since Randy Moss.  I'd give up a 2nd rounder or maybe a late first to get Stafford, but it's hard to justify much more. 

For once we need to be able to draft our QB of the future.  We missed out on Russell Wilson, Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr the last few years, none of which were early 1st rounders.  Now, Bridgewater and Carr aren't necesarilly elite talents, but then again neither is Stafford.  They're certainly guys you can build around, however.

Established yet still young with a tremendous arm, has stayed relatively healthy with good statistical seasons behind him. Not a head case who still has upside. Might end up being the best option out there. 

What would you say his value is?  And what would you be willing to give up to get him? 

I don't like the guy.

1. Never beaten a .500 team on the road

2. Gotten progressively worse with every season.

3. Terrible mechanics. Makes you wonder how his game would change in the event of another injury. A guy like drew Brees or peyton manning have their accuracy to fall back on. Lack of arm strength doesn't affect them too much, they can still get it done. Stafford' game is predicated on his arm strength. 

4. Doesn't seem too inspiring as a leader. He was always surrounded by vets in Detroit, never had to develop into one. Our team will get younger in upcoming seasons, need a guy that can take charge and hold their attention. He is jay cutler with a more affable personality. 

In spite of all this, he might be the best (and most readily available) option. Fitz is a stop gap, and I don't consider geno as anything more than a backup. I could see him coming over, but they need to be stingy about it and not give up too much draft capital. 

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but cutler and bears have played pretty well this year. Considering all the injuries and the overall crappiness of the roster, they have held their own in most games and are punching above their weight

cutler is having a little of a bounce back year

Archived