play counts and PFF grades

Larz

file under FWIW

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Jets-Play-Counts-vs-Jacksonville/402b031f-2c0a-4505-9225-a4989b5a9c27

Some other notes from the play count list:

■ C Nick Mangold left after 25 plays, saying it wasn't pain that forced him out but that his neck "just didn't respond well ... it just didn't do what I wanted it to do." That meant more extended play for Wesley Johnson — 40 offensive plays today, 113 the last two games.

■ G Brian Winters, who played 77 plays vs. Miami for Willie Colon, started and was in for all 65 offensive plays vs. the Jaguars for Colon.

■ LB Erin Henderson got some time at OLB and was in for 15 defensive plays and 23 on special teams, with the 38 his high play count as a Jet.

■ TE Kellen Davis turned in a big play for the second straight week, this time making the muffed-punt recovery that set up the Jets' last score. Davis played a total of 48 plays on offense and specials, his second-most as a Jet.

■ S Rontez Miles, who played on special teams vs. New Orleans in 2013, made his pro defensive debut with 10 plays at safety and added 14 ST plays.

■ P Ryan Quigley was in for 18 special teams plays due to Nick Folk's quad pull. His normal workload is 8-12 plays.

The play counts below from the NFL play-by-play for the game include all offensive, defensive and special teams plays plus some penalty plays. The numbers sometimes are revised during the week.

LINEBACKERS POS OFF DEF ST Total
Davis, Demario ILB   66 7 73
Harris, David ILB   66 7 73
Pace, Calvin OLB   23 6 29
Mauldin, Lorenzo OLB   19 8 27
Henderson, Erin ILB   15 23 38
Coples, Quinton OLB   8 6 14
Reillly, Trevor ILB     24 24
Lattimore, Jamari ILB     23 23

DEFENSIVE BACKS POS OFF DEF ST Total
Gilchrist, Marcus FS   66 11 77
Revis, Darrelle CB   66 5 71
Skrine, Buster CB   58 8 66
Cromartie, Antonio CB   44 6 50
Bailey, Dion SS   39 6 45
Williams, Marcus CB   28 21 49
Walls, Darrin CB   10 23 33
Miles, Rontez DB   10 14 24
McDougle, Dexter CB     16 16

WIDE RECEIVERS POS OFF DEF ST Total
Marshall, Brandon WR 60   1 61
Decker, Eric WR 45   1 46
Kerley, Jeremy WR 29   6 35
Thompkins, Kenbrell WR 28   2 30
Smith, Devin WR 2   2 4

Running back: Chris Ivory, Jets (-2.5)

Ivory had a good fantasy performance yesterday thanks to his two touchdowns, but that really overshadows how much he struggled. He broke just one tackle, and fumbled once. His longest run was 9 yards. But worst of all, he had 23 carries and gained just 29 yards. The Jets could have called 23 quarterback sneaks and likely would have gained more yards that way. It’s been a tough three games for Ivory, who gained 460 yards on 83 carries in his first four games, versus just 87 yards on 55 carries since. If he’s injured, he should really take some time off, as he’s hurting the Jets far more than he’s helping them.

Fullback: Tommy Bohanon, Jets (+2.4)

Credit to Bohanon for earning the top run blocking mark of all fullbacks this week.

Edge rushers:  Calvin Pace, Jets (+4.1)

For the Jets, Pace gave RT Jermey Parnell all sorts of problems.

Cornerbacks: Darrelle Revis, Jets (+3.5)
He’s still got it. Revis was thrown at seven times, allowing just two receptions while breaking up two passes.

New York Jets

– The Jets couldn’t muster a ground game, either and gained 32 yards on 24 designed run attempts. While Chris Ivory (-2.6) scored two 1-yard touchdown runs in the game, but he managed to force only one missed tackle, which equals the number of fumbles he had yesterday. While Ivory was certainly at fault when he fumbled the football, the offensive line has to take a large share of the blame for the ineffective running game from the Jets’ part. Of the 32 yards gained by the Jets yesterday, 35 came after contact.

– While Sheldon Richardson (+4.2) did not record any of the Jets’ seven sacks yesterday, he was still the most disruptive defender of the home team. He recorded three quarterback hits and four hurries and some of his pressures forced Blake Bortles to move against the leverage of his offensive linemen and resulted in sacks by other Jets defenders. His afternoon was highlighted by a play where he lined up at middle linebacker and had a full head of steam when he collided with T.J. Yeldon in the backfield and was able to push the running back into Bortles.

– There were a lot of rumors about Darrelle Revis’ (+3.5) potential demise in the past week, but the cornerback yesterday proved again that he still belongs among the elite players at his position. He did contribute some in defending the run as well, but, as usual, his real work came in coverage. Revis followed second-year receiver Allen Robinson the majority of the game and while he did allow 50 yards to him, 33 of those came on a scramble drill where Bortles extended the play and it was just enough for Robinson to create separation. Overall, Revis allowed two receptions on seven targets and defended two passes, one of which resulted in Bortles’ first interception.

Top performers:

DE Sheldon Richardson (+4.2)
OLB Calvin Pace (+4.1)
CB Darrelle Revis (+3.5)
FS Dion Bailey (+3.5)
DE Muhammad Wilkerson (+2.9)

Sheldon proving again why he's often the best player on the field. Good for Bailey too, he really stepped up after a rough past game. Learning the safety playbook in that short of time is no easy task. 

He played solid. Was mostly in there on running downs. Too bad he got hurt. He may be a numbers casualty, unfortunately. 

Kenbrell Thompkins out playing a 2nd round pick. lulza

I don't have a problem with it.  Smith was just coming back from injury and while its way too early to start giving him the Stephen Hill tag, at least the Jets went out and found someone who can produce.  Remember when we had to keep forcing Hill on the field because we had no other options?  Depth at WR is a very nice thing to have.  Macc is doing a great job with this roster.

I don't have a problem with it.  Smith was just coming back from injury and while its way too early to start giving him the Stephen Hill tag, at least the Jets went out and found someone who can produce.  Remember when we had to keep forcing Hill on the field because we had no other options?  Depth at WR is a very nice thing to have.  Macc is doing a great job with this roster.

Wait, what?  Produce?  Are you talking about Smith or Thompkins?  Smith is terrible right now and sadly enough, Hill was twice as productive as a rookie. 

I have a problem with any player taken that high looking as lost as he does.

Wait, what?  Produce?  Are you talking about Smith or Thompkins?  Smith is terrible right now and sadly enough, Hill was twice as productive as a rookie. 

I'm talking about Thompkins.  I'm saying its impressive that the front office decided not to wait when looking for more WR depth.  The signing of Thompkins and Kerley finally cracking the lineup makes our whole WR corps look good.  Just a few weeks ago we were worried there was no one behind Marshall and Decker.

I think his injury in camp hurt his development and grasping the offense. He needs reps to learn but he won't get them until the offseason.

I'm talking about Thompkins.  I'm saying its impressive that the front office decided not to wait when looking for more WR depth.  The signing of Thompkins and Kerley finally cracking the lineup makes our whole WR corps look good.  Just a few weeks ago we were worried there was no one behind Marshall and Decker.

Yeah, nice find by Mac.  He's definitely helped as the WR core has been depleted.  

I think his injury in camp hurt his development and grasping the offense. He needs reps to learn but he won't get them until the offseason.

I guess so.  I'm not giving up on him or anything, it's just a shame to get zero production at all from a high 2nd round pick. 

Coples, a whole 8 snaps on D.

I think Bowles really does not like this guy.

Coples is terrible at football.  That's probably why he doesn't like him.  2 defense-minded coaches haven't been able to do a thing with him.  He's not a Gholston-level bust, but he has to be considered a bust at this point nonetheless.

I'm still worried there is no one behind Marshall and Decker.  People were saying the same things about David Nelson and Greg Salas.

Revis followed second-year receiver Allen Robinson the majority of the game and while he did allow 50 yards to him, 33 of those came on a scramble drill where Bortles extended the play and it was just enough for Robinson to create separation. Overall, Revis allowed two receptions on seven targets and defended two passes, one of which resulted in Bortles’ first interception.

I think that play shows what is great about Revis.  Revis knows where the play is supposed to go and he gets there before the WR.  On that play he was exactly where he was supposed to be.  When the play broke down he stepped up to where Robinson probably would have wanted to go back to Bortles.  To their credit Robinson faded to an open spot where Bortles found him.   

I'm still worried there is no one behind Marshall and Decker.  People were saying the same things about David Nelson and Greg Salas.

Well we at least know what Kerley is capable of.  Could we survive if both Marshall and Decker are out at the same time?  Maybe not.  But with at least one of them in there as the WR1 and Kerley working out of the slot, we're in decent shape in any given week.

Thompkins didn't work out in New England, which should be an indictment on him.  However, you have to build that relationship with Brady or else you're gone.  Doesn't make him a bad WR.  So far I like what I've seen.

Well we at least know what Kerley is capable of.  Could we survive if both Marshall and Decker are out at the same time?  Maybe not.  But with at least one of them in there as the WR1 and Kerley working out of the slot, we're in decent shape in any given week.

Thompkins didn't work out in New England, which should be an indictment on him.  However, you have to build that relationship with Brady or else you're gone.  Doesn't make him a bad WR.  So far I like what I've seen.

I think Kerley has gotten a bit of a raw deal.  He isn't amazing, but he can get open, and catches what he should catch.

To be fair, I don't expect to go five deep with starting WRs.  Kerley is perfectly acceptable as a 3 or 4.  OTOH, Kembrell Thompkins is the kind of low ceiling 27 year old that you only use in emergency situations.  I would have liked to have a young player coming up that showed some flash and gave some hope.  It's early days on Smith, but returns have not been good. It would have been nice if one of those 23 draft picks Idizk burned or a high upside UDFA or waiver wire pickup worked out.  I guess there is still some minor hope for Enunwa, but he has looked fairly sh*tty at WR.  He blocks well, but he is not scaring anybody. I was more interested in Hakimm and Graham than these guys.  It's not something I would complain about, but I'm sure not patting them on the back for Kembrell Thompkins.

The guy was a one trick pony at Ohio State so why should he be any different in the NFL? The Buckeyes sent him deep to clear things out underneath and every now and then would throw him a deep ball. Much easier against college safeties than NFL safeties. 

To be fair, I don't expect to go five deep with starting WRs.  Kerley is perfectly acceptable as a 3 or 4.  OTOH, Kembrell Thompkins is the kind of low ceiling 27 year old that you only use in emergency situations.  I would have liked to have a young player coming up that showed some flash and gave some hope.  It's early days on Smith, but returns have not been good. It would have been nice if one of those 23 draft picks Idizk burned or a high upside UDFA or waiver wire pickup worked out.  I guess there is still some minor hope for Enunwa, but he has looked fairly sh*tty at WR.  He blocks well, but he is not scaring anybody. I was more interested in Hakimm and Graham than these guys.  It's not something I would complain about, but I'm sure not patting them on the back for Kembrell Thompkins.

I think BECAUSE the prior regimes f*cked up so badly its worth praising the current front office for making some decent moves.  Scrap heap pickups are all you can get at this point in the season; it's kind of a nice change to find one that isn't completely lousy.

1. I think BECAUSE the prior regimes f*cked up so badly its worth praising the current front office for making some decent moves.  Scrap heap pickups are all you can get at this point in the season; it's kind of a nice change to find one that isn't completely lousy.

My point was that prior regimes did fine with scrap heap pickups. Guys like Thompkins, Nelson and Salas, probably won't be here the next year - or shouldn't be.  At least guys like Deion Bailey and Marcus Williams should. 

The guys name is Kenbrell, not Kembrell.  I guess I have been spelling it wrong because of how some of these announcers pronounce it.  Probably Trent Green.  I'm so glad the Jets were able to pull that game off against the Jagwires.

Archived