Fire Special Teams coach Bobby April

RoadFan

I'd start with a policy of big fines for guys that fair catch balls inside the 10 or take kickoffs out of the the back half of the end zone.

I meant blocking scheme or coverage scheme.  also, who do you hire that is better in november ?  most good coaches have a gig and westy aint walking through that door

the reason you see punt returners catch balls inside the 10 every week in every game is the punt teams have gotten so good at downing balls inside the 3 that teams don't want to start there. 

smith was put in the game to try to make something happen.  it didn't work out. 

I meant blocking scheme or coverage scheme.  also, who do you hire that is better in november ?  most good coaches have a gig and westy aint walking through that door

the reason you see punt returners catch balls inside the 10 every week in every game is the punt teams have gotten so good at downing balls inside the 3 that teams don't want to start there. 

smith was put in the game to try to make something happen.  it didn't work out. 

you're really defending this? It's laughable to say you fair catch a ball at the 5 because you know teams are good at downing balls at the 3. It's nonsense. Tell me, by that theory, why don't the opposing teams do the same thing? 

you're really defending this? It's laughable to say you fair catch a ball at the 5 because you know teams are good at downing balls at the 3. It's nonsense. Tell me, by that theory, why don't the opposing teams do the same thing? 

they do.  it was discussed during one of the games

Green Bay - The subject of whether punt returner Randall Cobb made a big mistake fair catching punts at the 10-yard line or deeper came up during the live blog yesterday, so I asked special teams coach Shawn Slocum Monday.

As I suspected, the rules have changed on whether to field those punts because of the proliferation of punters using the Australian Rules nose-down approach, which most of the time causes the ball to bounce back rather than forward.

It used to be that anything punted inside the 10 was supposed to be let go becaue of the odds it would bounce into the end zone for a touchback. But Slocum said it's Cobb's job to read what kind of punt it is and whether he needs to field it.

Of the one Cobb fair caught at the 6, Slocum said:

"That ball was a spiral punt and he should have let it go. It more than likely would have been a touchback. There’s usually a cut-off line that punters use. When they hit the ball end-under-end, that ball has a tendency to bounce back and you can quickly get the ball on about the 2-yard line.

"We did it to them and they started a drive on the 1-yard line. What we’ve decided to do, we have a cut-off point that we use based on the day and the punter to try to keep the ball outside the 5, because it’s better for the play-caller and better for the offense if you’ve got the ball outside the 5-yard line.

"If you do nothing, at least you’ve got the full amount of room to work to punt the ball on fourth down."

Asked if the rules have changed completely on when it's OK to field a punt, Slocum said yes.

"It really has. In fact, we may go one punt, I’ll tell him to align on the 10 and use that as the rule and they may have the ball a little closer based on our pregame plan and we may use a little bit deeper yardage."

they do.  it was discussed during one of the games

Green Bay - The subject of whether punt returner Randall Cobb made a big mistake fair catching punts at the 10-yard line or deeper came up during the live blog yesterday, so I asked special teams coach Shawn Slocum Monday.

As I suspected, the rules have changed on whether to field those punts because of the proliferation of punters using the Australian Rules nose-down approach, which most of the time causes the ball to bounce back rather than forward.

It used to be that anything punted inside the 10 was supposed to be let go becaue of the odds it would bounce into the end zone for a touchback. But Slocum said it's Cobb's job to read what kind of punt it is and whether he needs to field it.

Of the one Cobb fair caught at the 6, Slocum said:

"That ball was a spiral punt and he should have let it go. It more than likely would have been a touchback. There’s usually a cut-off line that punters use. When they hit the ball end-under-end, that ball has a tendency to bounce back and you can quickly get the ball on about the 2-yard line.

"We did it to them and they started a drive on the 1-yard line. What we’ve decided to do, we have a cut-off point that we use based on the day and the punter to try to keep the ball outside the 5, because it’s better for the play-caller and better for the offense if you’ve got the ball outside the 5-yard line.

"If you do nothing, at least you’ve got the full amount of room to work to punt the ball on fourth down."

Asked if the rules have changed completely on when it's OK to field a punt, Slocum said yes.

"It really has. In fact, we may go one punt, I’ll tell him to align on the 10 and use that as the rule and they may have the ball a little closer based on our pregame plan and we may use a little bit deeper yardage."

This

The backwards spin punting methods developed in the last 5-10 years have obliterated the old 10 yard line rule

Better to field it at the 5 or 6 than watch helplessly as your opponents down it at the one

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Archived