The annual CFL players the Jets should take a look at thread..

Beerfish

Each year there are guys that slip through the cracks for a wide variety of reasons and end up in the CFL.  Each year a number of them go back to the NFL for another shot, most don't make it but you get the odd gem (See Cam Wake, Jerell Freeman and others over the years.)  These are my guys to at least take a look at at some point in time  (I don't now the contract situation for most of these players so they may or may not be available this coming year.

Also, when looking at players you cannot just look at the best players in the league, some are great CFL players but are too old now, just don't have the physical attributes etc.  I look for guys who I think could possibly play in some capacity in the NFL.

QB: 

James Franklin - Missouri - 6'2", 225  24 years old.  Not even a starter on his team but in limited capacity in his rookie year the guy was very impressive, calm, accurate, good deep ball.

RB/KR:

Chris Rainey - Florida - 5'8", 173 27 years old. Had his shot in the NFL but the guy is still a dangerous return guy that can play a bit of scat back.

Kicker/Punter:

Swayze Waters - Ala-Birmingham - 6', 185 28 years old.   Bad thing about this guy is that he gets hurt a lot for some reason.  He is an accurate FG kicker and a good punter.

Richie Leonie - Houston - 6'4", 218 23 years old.  This guy has a big leg and reasonable touch for a punter.

WR:

Derel Walker - Texas A & M - 6'2", 185 24 years old.  Rookie of the year in the league this year, he will for sure get another shot in the NFL.  Runs good routes, gets open and catches the ball.  Reminds me of Jarvis Landry.

Eric Rogers - Cal Lutheran - 6'3", 210 24 years old.  Lead the league in receiving this year.

Luke Tasker - Cornell - 5'11", 191 24 years old.  Yeah, that Tasker.  Could return kicks and is your typicall small slot wr with good hands.

Vidal Hazelton - Cincinnati - 6'3", 212 27 years old.  Too bad the guy is a bit of a nut case, he has talent though.

Dback:

Aaron Grymes - Idaho - 5'11", 186 24 years old.  Would be strictly a slot corner.  Just a really good player, good tackler, good in coverage, makes plays.

Abdul Kanneh - New Mexico Highlands - 5'10", 185  25 years old.  Another smaller cover guy that is a bit of a ball hawk.

I had a few honorable mention lineman in this list but even though they are good players they are just too old or not big enough to be listed.

None of the players on this list are a sure fire table banging Cam Wake type of player but they are all at least worth a look or a camp invite.

Vidal Hazelton - Cincinnati - 6'3", 212 27 years old.  Too bad the guy is a bit of a nut case, he has talent though.

We had him in camp a couple of years ago.  I think he caught a real long pass in a camp game or maybe a preseason game, not sure.  I think he got hurt.

I'm surprised you left Westerman off, wasn't he MVP runner up?

Westerman was one of the lineman i talked about re age and size.  He had 17 sacks and was runner up in outstanding canadian but he is 30 years old and only has the size for olb which he is not suited to.

Archived