Jim Schwartz hired as Eagles DC

Jetsfan80

Really good hire for them.  I imagine they'll be a Top 10 defense next season.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/19/philadelphia-eagles-doug-pederson-hire-jim-schwartz-defensive-coordinator

Source: Eagles hiring Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator

The Philadelphia Eagles have an agreement with former Bills defensive coordinator and Lions head coach Jim Schwartz to coach their defense.

SI’s Don Banks reports that the Eagles will make Schwartz their next defensive coordinator under new head coach Doug Pederson. Schwartz has yet to sign a deal.

Schwartz, 49, spent the 2015 season as a consultant with the league’s officiating department. He served on Doug Marrone’s staff in Buffalo for one season in 2014. He was head coach of the Lions from 2009–2013, leading the team to a 29–51 record and one playoff appearance, in 2011.

Prior to his time in Detroit, Schwartz was the defensive coordinator of the Titans from 2001–2008.

Excellent hire for PHI, expect Fletcher Cox to have a huge year for their
DLine.  The other NFC East teams better make sure they have solid OLines
because Schwartz will bring relentless pressure

He was an "officiating consultant".  I guess he got let go so deep into the 2015 offseason that he didn't want to just take any old coaching job.  Smart decision.

Haha - I read that an edited my question.

Just dont get why everyone loves this dude because he coached a loaded Bills D to one great season

Haha - I read that an edited my question.

Just dont get why everyone loves this dude because he coached a loaded Bills D to one great season

In 2009, when Schwartz arrived in Detroit as HC, they were the worst defense in the NFL.

The next season they were 22nd.  Then 9th. 

He was also DC in Tennessee from 2001-2008.  They were a top 5 defense in his final 2 years there.

Meanwhile, Buffalo's defense went from 4th with him to 21st without him.  This despite also being coached by a guy with a strong defensive reputation.  You may have heard of him. 

In 2009, when Schwartz arrived in Detroit, they were the worst defense in the NFL.

The next season they were 22nd.  Then 9th. 

He was also DC in Tennessee from 2001-2008.  They were a top 5 defense in his final 2 years there.

I just had a little looksie.  Here is his history as DC/HC:

Defensive points allowed:

25, 11, 13, 30, 29, 31, 8, 2, 32, 19, 23, 27, 15, 4

Defensive yards allowed:

25, 10, 12, 27, 19, 31, 8, 2, 32, 19, 23, 27, 15, 4

Aside from 3 season, he's terrible. 

I just had a little looksie.  Here is his history as DC/HC:

Defensive points allowed:

25, 11, 13, 30, 29, 31, 8, 2, 32, 19, 23, 27, 15, 4

Defensive yards allowed:

25, 10, 12, 27, 19, 31, 8, 2, 32, 19, 23, 27, 15, 4

Aside from 3 season, he's terrible. 

Don't you think some of that has to do with the fact that the Titans and Lions are 2 of the worst franchises in football? 

In 2007, 08 and 14 he was awesome. Those happen to be the last 3 years he's been a DC. I'd say that supersedes what he did from 2001-06, no?

Really good hire for them.  I imagine they'll be a Top 10 defense next season.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/19/philadelphia-eagles-doug-pederson-hire-jim-schwartz-defensive-coordinator

Source: Eagles hiring Jim Schwartz as defensive coordinator

The Philadelphia Eagles have an agreement with former Bills defensive coordinator and Lions head coach Jim Schwartz to coach their defense.

SI’s Don Banks reports that the Eagles will make Schwartz their next defensive coordinator under new head coach Doug Pederson. Schwartz has yet to sign a deal.

Schwartz, 49, spent the 2015 season as a consultant with the league’s officiating department. He served on Doug Marrone’s staff in Buffalo for one season in 2014. He was head coach of the Lions from 2009–2013, leading the team to a 29–51 record and one playoff appearance, in 2011.

Prior to his time in Detroit, Schwartz was the defensive coordinator of the Titans from 2001–2008.

Excellent hire for PHI, expect Fletcher Cox to have a huge year for their
DLine.  The other NFC East teams better make sure they have solid OLines
because Schwartz will bring relentless pressure

If it keeps the Giants out of the playoffs.... sign me up!:D

Archived