7 LBs on your All Time Jets 53 man roster?

Sarge4Tide

7 LBs on your All Time Jets 53 Man Roster  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which 7 of these players would you put on your All Time Jets roster?

• Al Atkinson
    • Ralph Baker
    • Eric Barton
    • Greg Buttle
    • Kyle Clifton
    • Brian Cox
    • John Ebersole
    • James Farrior
    • Larry Grantham
    • David Harris
    • Victor Hobson
    • Bobby Houston
    • Marvin Jones
    • Mo Lewis
    • Lance Mehl
    • Calvin Pace
    • Bart Scott
    • Bryan Thomas
    • Jonathon Vilma
    • Someone Else

58 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

All irrelevant. You claimed I was just personally biased so I threw out a handful of people who couldn't care less about Vilma's time in Jets green, and who weren't judging him with your perceived Mangini Handicap. I wasn't doing research on high brow articles by snooty sports writers (though one did quote a PFF article I don't have access to, showing just what I attested).

It was just to show that plenty thought the same thing, even speaking of Vilma's "pro bowl" prime. Who the author is makes no difference unless they were people with personal grudges against Vilma. They're all football fans who watch the game. Citing an ILB as bad at things he gets blind credit for means they actually watched him and compared him to his peers, rather than citing context-less and meaningless "tackles" numbers from one season where most of his tackles were past the LOS. 

What I find irrelevant is the two articles and a blog you found in 2012. One which the author goes out of his way to say Vilma was good just not as great iho. Which nobody here is even saying btw. You're saying "he sucked and was "extremely" overrated", most of the critisism per Internet you found, which, again, from three sites that are written during the tail end of his career... And as one of the more highly paid ILBs...are complaining he shouldn't be held in such high regard. Not necessarily your POV which seems much more extreme.

was he worth his contract, I'm not arguing that and don't care to. Was he the quintessential LB of his time, No. He was undersized and needed the right system for his style of play. Same as Brian Urlacher, who was better than Vima, but still needed to fit a system. 

Again... Google::::insert star::::and you'll find somebody claiming they're overrated. Opinions...like assholes...Internet...etc.

You can't change the fact and accolades of his career. Or even just with his time with the Jets...which half of, he was excellent....in a 43 cover 2. Yes he was completely lost and exposed in Mangini's D with no help around him. 

He also suffered that major season ending knee injury. then he's traded to a new team and still goes on to play in 3 pro bowls and a super bowl. And yes sometimes the last few pro bowls for a vet is based on reputation with diminishing skills. Which only diminishes additional or any validity to your argument, since a player's reputation doesn't just come out of thin air. They tend to have to earn it.

You don't make multiple pro bowls, defensive rookie of the year, you don't lead the NFL in tackles, you're not made captain on an SB winning team, you're not ranked the 37th best player in the NFL by your peers at one point in your career  because you suck and are sooooooo overrated. 

20 hours ago, HessStation said:

I think his Mangini time in the 34 skewers how good he really was for some Jet fans.

My original statement on Vilma btw. That's it, nowhere did I ever gloat over his greatness, only that, career wise, and quite frankly his overall time with the Jets, is better than a lot of fans want to give him credit for. Based on his last two seasons with the Jets, and the way David Harris came on when he hurt his knee in 07, I think some Jet fans have this unfair, unrealistic perception of him. Thinking he's overrated is one thing, maybe he was slightly....but with the ferocity that some Jet fans have behind it, it just sounds like sour grapes. No, sorry, he was still a really good player, it was Mangini's system, and he proved it for another 4-5 seasons with the Saints.

Harris needs more love.  This guy is as dependable as any LB we have ever had on and off the field and is the most irreplaceable player we have on the roster. 

He doesn't rack up sacks but he never was really used a pass rusher.  The guy is a warrior and I hope he retires a Jet.

21 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I thought Jones was going to be a beast.  He was unreal at FSU.  Always banged up and while good, never the player everyone thought he would be

Remember he had that hip injury in his rookie year that they talked about being a career ender at the time.  I think that sapped him of speed and quickness.  still had a good career for us just wasn't the guy we saw at FSU- that guy became Derrick brooks.

On February 18, 2016 at 0:40 PM, HessStation said:

What I find irrelevant is the two articles and a blog you found in 2012. One which the author goes out of his way to say Vilma was good just not as great iho. Which nobody here is even saying btw. You're saying "he sucked and was "extremely" overrated", most of the critisism per Internet you found, which, again, from three sites that are written during the tail end of his career... And as one of the more highly paid ILBs...are complaining he shouldn't be held in such high regard. Not necessarily your POV which seems much more extreme.

was he worth his contract, I'm not arguing that and don't care to. Was he the quintessential LB of his time, No. He was undersized and needed the right system for his style of play. Same as Brian Urlacher, who was better than Vima, but still needed to fit a system. 

Again... Google::::insert star::::and you'll find somebody claiming they're overrated. Opinions...like assholes...Internet...etc.

You can't change the fact and accolades of his career. Or even just with his time with the Jets...which half of, he was excellent....in a 43 cover 2. Yes he was completely lost and exposed in Mangini's D with no help around him. 

He also suffered that major season ending knee injury. then he's traded to a new team and still goes on to play in 3 pro bowls and a super bowl. And yes sometimes the last few pro bowls for a vet is based on reputation with diminishing skills. Which only diminishes additional or any validity to your argument, since a player's reputation doesn't just come out of thin air. They tend to have to earn it.

You don't make multiple pro bowls, defensive rookie of the year, you don't lead the NFL in tackles, you're not made captain on an SB winning team, you're not ranked the 37th best player in the NFL by your peers at one point in your career  because you suck and are sooooooo overrated. 

All that stuff does happen. Players are as enamored with some names as fans.

And for the second, or whateverth time, it makes no difference who I'm quoting. You claimed/insinuated that I had a personal bias against him and an objective person wouldn't think anything but highly of Vilma. 

And you want to point to his 2nd of 2 pro bowl selections as an important part of his resume. Then when I point to his sub-par play in (at least) the 2nd one, you say that he was past his prime then. It's one or the other. Either he was unjustly selected to the pro bowl (i.e. he was overrated) or undeservedly getting a 2nd vote means he should have made 1 team maximum (i.e. it's a silly resume point because e pro bowl is a name-fame sham). 

Archived