Is Bowles into giving 2nd chances?

Jetster

Ok Jet fans, things just got interesting with free agency starting & Fitz not getting locked up. While I still think the Jets basically told his agent, "good luck, come see us after you kick the tires on some other options", could Mac & Bowles be starting to reevaluate Genos last stand?

Here's what we do know, Geno has never been given the chance to play with the "big boys". Plus, without paying Fitz the Jets could add a back like Forte, solidify their LB core, maybe get a stud 3rd WR? I'm not saying I'm a Geno fan by any means but I'm all for starting Geno at 1.6 million, by upgrading more positions then paying Fitz & stunting the teams all around growth. We really have no idea how Gailey would implement the offense with Genos much stronger arm. Those lanes that Powell found wide open would be even larger with Genos much stronger arm, and players like Devin Smith become just a little scarier with a QB that can actually reach him. Gailey had success with Kordell Stewart & Geno has way better throwing skills.

Such an interesting off season already. 

I think, at the very least, that if Fitz comes back, (and he probably will), he enters Training Camp as the established No.1 starter and it is up to Geno to take the job away.  If Geno does succeed in winning the job on merit, that might win back some respect from the clubhouse for the incident with Enampkali.  So he might be given a second chance to win the job, we don't know, but that will be all he will get.

1 minute ago, kelticwizard said:

I think, at the very least, that if Fitz comes back, (and he probably will), he enters Training Camp as the established No.1 starter and it is up to Geno to take the job away.  If Geno does succeed in winning the job on merit, that might win back some respect from the clubhouse for the incident with Enampkali.  So he might be given a second chance to win the job, we don't know, but that will be all he will get.

No way the Jets pay Fitzpatrick all that money to be the backup QB.

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Ok Jet fans, things just got interesting with free agency starting & Fitz not getting locked up. While I still think the Jets basically told his agent, "good luck, come see us after you kick the tires on some other options", could Mac & Bowles be starting to reevaluate Genos last stand?

Here's what we do know, Geno has never been given the chance to play with the "big boys". Plus, without paying Fitz the Jets could add a back like Forte, solidify their LB core, maybe get a stud 3rd WR? I'm not saying I'm a Geno fan by any means but I'm all for starting Geno at 1.6 million, by upgrading more positions then paying Fitz & stunting the teams all around growth. We really have no idea how Gailey would implement the offense with Genos much stronger arm. Those lanes that Powell found wide open would be even larger with Genos much stronger arm, and players like Devin Smith become just a little scarier with a QB that can actually reach him. Gailey had success with Kordell Stewart & Geno has way better throwing skills.

Such an interesting off season already. 

Based on the way he handled the play of Cro, I'm pretty sure if you rub his back the right way, he'll rub you right back.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Based on the way he handled the play of Cro, I'm pretty sure if you rub his back the right way, he'll rub you right back.

Or possibly as bad as Cro was, our replacements are worse.  Dee Milliner could barely make the team.  McDougle might be better off making a McFish sandwich.  Now unfortunately given the cap situation it's highly likely that Bowles will have no choice but to give Milliner a 2nd chance, and believe it or not depending on what the market bears for Fitz he may be giving Geno a 2nd shot as well, but I highly doubt either one would be by choice.

46 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Or possibly as bad as Cro was, our replacements are worse.  Dee Milliner could barely make the team.  McDougle might be better off making a McFish sandwich.  Now unfortunately given the cap situation it's highly likely that Bowles will have no choice but to give Milliner a 2nd chance, and believe it or not depending on what the market bears for Fitz he may be giving Geno a 2nd shot as well, but I highly doubt either one would be by choice.

Sometimes the best moves are made by necessity not choice.   

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

No way the Jets pay Fitzpatrick all that money to be the backup QB.

And therein lies part of the problem because if he is outplayed by Geno or Petty, THEY should get the job.  That is why they can't over pay for him.   Both of those guys are young and hungry; to me there is no guarantee that he will outplay them in camp or preseason. 

3 minutes ago, ljr said:

If he decides to give a second chance to somebody .... I can't imagine Geno being the trial balloon he hitches his wagon to

I think it will all be about performance on the field and not baggage from the past.   

Just now, Saul Goodman said:

Geno was given three chances already. Only his rookie season, which should be graded on a curve due to his inexperience, was even somewhat acceptable. 

Well considered he was injured (granted he by his own poor judgement) I was talking about on the field performance.  He has now had an opportunity to watch and study from the sidelines.  Until his unfortunate injury he had impressed his coaches and teammates alike with his play.  I have no reason to believe that would not have continued that into the preseason and regular season.  (If he sh*t the bed then, Fitz would have been ready to take over as many were expecting/hoping for).    Therefore, assuming he is on the team, I would not be surprised if he performs at a high level in camp.  

9 minutes ago, ljr said:

Agreed, thus my comment 

Your comment has nothing to do with what Smith does come July/August.  If he is performing the best of any QB during that period, what do you do?  

17 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Your comment has nothing to do with what Smith does come July/August.  If he is performing the best of any QB during that period, what do you do?  

Wake up from my nightmare ;)

Archived