The Browns #2 pick

Integrity28

So, we have a thread that is sort of about the Cowboys #4 pick, and another about the Bears #11 pick. I'm going to start a more aspirational thread about that #2 overall pick that the Browns own right now.

This is interesting. Do the Browns use one of the few visits they can schedule pre-draft as a smoke screen? Meaning, do they take visits with Hogan and other mid-round QBs to maybe suggest that anyone that wants Wentz doesn't have to move up to #1 overall?

OR is this more about them having Griffin, and knowing they can develop a mid-round QB behind him, which allows them to either trade the #2 pick, or use it on a different position? Jalen Ramsey? Joey Bosa? Is Hue Jackson cocky enough to think he can fix RG3 and develop a guy like Hogan?

Interesting scenarios all around. We're into April, now is when all the smoke screens and rumors are going to become a frenzy

Cameron Erving, their current center, is built more like a RT, a position he also played at Florida State. 

If you look at their roster, they are one Myles Jack away from having a decent defense. He's the pick if I'm Cleveland. Then I pick the top center at the top of Two, and move Erving back to tackle, then grab a QB at the top of Three to learn under RGIII. Then I load up on skill players with the buttload of comp picks and work on changing the culture in Cleveland. 

Getting a franchise QB now, without weapons is not going to get them anywhere. 

12 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Cameron Erving, their current center, is built more like a RT, a position he also played at Florida State. 

If you look at their roster, they are one Myles Jack away from having a decent defense. He's the pick if I'm Cleveland. Then I pick the top center at the top of Two, and move Erving back to tackle, then grab a QB at the top of Three to learn under RGIII. Then I load up on skill players with the buttload of comp picks and work on changing the culture in Cleveland. 

There's no guarantee they'll get another good shot at a franchise QB.  If they like one of these guys then (if I'm the GM) I'd take him.  The rest can ALWAYS be filled in later.  The foundation is the QB.

49 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I like everything you're saying... but that last sentence... there's NEVER a bad time to get a franchise QB. NEVER.

It's not like choosing to forgo the franchise QB opportunity this year just means they'll take their franchise QB in 3 years when they've done everything you are saying. If it were that easy, then the Jets wouldn't be the Jets.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

There's no guarantee they'll get another good shot at a franchise QB.  If they like one of these guys then (if I'm the GM) I'd take him.  The rest can ALWAYS be filled in later.  The foundation is the QB.

Let's be really really honest here. Cleveland almost ALWAYS has a good shot to draft a franchise quarterback.  They just happen to suck as bad as us at drafting them.  

That all being said, at least we drafted 1 decent QB this millenium.

Could be nothing more than they're thinking of getting their hands on any QB they can (within reason), and then having a true "may the best man win" among 3 QBs they actually like instead of a sham among an obvious future based on draft slot, a stopgap, and a benchwarmer. So even taking Wentz at #2, they may still be thinking of Hogan if he's still there at their pick in round 4 or 5 (not unlike Washington taking Cousins right after trading three #1 picks for RG3). They pick high enough that it's not impossible for him to still be there for their 6th round pick and if he is it would behoove them to have met with him first.

Then they have RG3, Wentz, and Hogan. It really decreases the likelihood that they won't have a present/future franchise QB among those three. However likely it's Wentz, no matter who emerges as the winner, as long as they get that elusive franchise QB and little else this offseason, it will be an offseason that will have been well spent and will pay dividends for many years to come. 

Biggest problem with drafting a bust with a top pick is the way a franchise puts all its eggs in that one basket. So if he's a bust, they have left themselves nowhere else to turn except another top 5 pick QB 3-4 years later (if they're in a catbird seat to take one when a truly bluechip QB prospect is available). Really not a stupid plan. What's the worry, that they'll waste a single 4th-6th round pick as insurance? Cleveland has suffered through plenty worse.

38 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Let's be really really honest here. Cleveland almost ALWAYS has a good shot to draft a franchise quarterback.  They just happen to suck as bad as us at drafting them.  

That all being said, at least we drafted 1 decent QB this millenium.

Bryant-Namath.jpg

Archived