When do you think Mac/Bowles take a chance at "their guy" at QB?

JetFreak89

When do you think Mac/Bowles take a chance at "their guy" at QB?   

11 members have voted

1. 1. So the question is, when do you think they take their chance?

• 2016 Draft
    • 2017 Draft
    • 2018 Draft
    • 2019 Draft
    • Other (trade, FA)

Eventually, Mac & Bowles will need to make a choice and hitch their wagon to a young QB of the future for the NYJ. Typically this means the investment of a 1st round draft choice, although I suppose a trade for a young backup (like Favre) or the rare young FA QB (like Osweiler) could count as well.  The downside for them is that once they make their pick, the accountability clock truly begins and, if their choice doesn't pan out, both will be out of their jobs.

it's an interesting question and the flip side is that the longer they wait on that move, the more job security they have. The second they make that splashy qb pick, Mac's seat warms up.

just to do some cocktail napkin math, Tom Brady has another 4-5 years probably easy (he's 39 and looks better than he did at 23).  So lets say they take a guy 2 years from now (2018) and he's primed to hit his stride when Brady is in his swan song at like 43 years old. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's an interesting question and the flip side is that the longer they wait on that move, the more job security they have. The second they make that splashy qb pick, Mac's seat warms up.

just to do some cocktail napkin math, Tom Brady has another 4-5 years probably easy (he's 39 and looks better than he did at 23).  So lets say they take a guy 2 years from now (2018) and he's primed to hit his stride when Brady is in his swan song at like 43 years old. 

i disagree.  i think the longer he waits the less time he has.  woody won't wait 3-5 years for mac to wait on qbs in the top rounds.  besides, mccags has gone on record as saying he believes in the ron wolf philosophy that you draft a qb each year until you find one.  with that as a mantra, i doubt each year that means rounds 3-7.

I still believe if they have one these QB prospects ranked highly enough, that they're going to attempt to use Mo as part of package to trade up and get their man. (Dallas?) Otherwise, to me, 2016 becomes a lost season. They're going to meander to a .500 record, assuming Fitz comes back, and will again find themselves too far down in the draft to grab a QB for 2017... Which means we better hope that Petty puts it all together. 

30 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Maybe petty will develop and they already have their guy

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Maybe he will. Doesn't matter... you don't stop trying to find "the guy" just because you took one last year.

The only concept more bogus than "rebuilding year" in the NFL is that you have to give every QB you select a 3 year window to "prove-it" or "develop". No. You take one every year, and keep adding QBs until you have a stud, a surplus and the luxury of not worrying about the position for a decade.

25 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

I still believe if they have one these QB prospects ranked highly enough, that they're going to attempt to use Mo as part of package to trade up and get their man. (Dallas?) Otherwise, to me, 2016 becomes a lost season. They're going to meander to a .500 record, assuming Fitz comes back, and will again find themselves too far down in the draft to grab a QB for 2017... Which means we better hope that Petty puts it all together. 

I can't think of a more impactful thing for Mo to have done for this franchise, other than helping us get our Cam/Ben QB prospect.

34 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i disagree.  i think the longer he waits the less time he has.  woody won't wait 3-5 years for mac to wait on qbs in the top rounds.  besides, mccags has gone on record as saying he believes in the ron wolf philosophy that you draft a qb each year until you find one.  with that as a mantra, i doubt each year that means rounds 3-7.

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Maybe he will. Doesn't matter... you don't stop trying to find "the guy" just because you took one last year.

The only concept more bogus than "rebuilding year" in the NFL is that you have to give every QB you select a 3 year window to "prove-it" or "develop". No. You take one every year, and keep adding QBs until you have a stud, a surplus and the luxury of not worrying about the position for a decade.

Agreed that you don't stop trying to find "the guy" and I hope Mac sticks to his philosophy of drafting a QB each year (assuming we have enough picks to do so) but at the same time there is a big difference between taking a QB in the 1st round vs the 4th. Hence why people may be quietly optimistic that Petty will work out but no one is exactly banking on it. 

They had 4 men on hand at Paxton Lynch's (very impressive and unconventional) pro day today. Rex Hogan, Mac, Top Regional Scout, and Kevin Patulo.  I'd say they're dead serious about getting one of the top 3 this year.  Should be a reeeeeeal interesting couple of weeks/draft day.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

They had 4 men on hand at Paxton Lynch's (very impressive and unconventional) pro day today. Rex Hogan, Mac, Top Regional Scout, and Kevin Patulo.  I'd say they're dead serious about getting one of the top 3 this year.  Should be a reeeeeeal interesting couple of weeks/draft day.

if that's the case, that they're gunning for one of the top 3 qbs, then the obvious conclusion which has been discussed at length here, is they use mo to trade up to get one.  it's so logical for the jets in many ways.  i guess they're spending time evaluating lynch to see if he's worth the investment.  i doubt he makes it to 20, and truth, i'm even wondering if the rams would trade up from 15 if they want a qb that badly.  

Archived