Colon: Jets Unrepared for Week 17 Loss

JetNation

Just now, nyjunc said:

Going into the offseason Buf had a lot more talent than us but after FA and the draft we had certianly closed the gap.  Add that their starting QB missed 3 games I believe and Watkins missed time and their star D player quit and you can see how Bowles had more to work with.

LOL

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

I don't care what Rex did in Buffalo, I am only discussing Bowles.  I LIKE Bowles but ultimately he failed w/ a playoff caliber team against a creampuff sched.  He did a nice job overall but couldn't come through when we needed him most.

No, ultimately he won 10 games in a season where most thought the Jets would be sub .500.

Thats how you look at the entire season, not look to blame someone for what the team did in week 17.  Thats for the negative SOJF

1 minute ago, JiF said:

It was the biggest head scratcher game I can recall as a Jets fan.   Right next to when Schotty had Mark throwing the ball 50 times in gale force winds when they were running through the Bills D like it was swiss cheese. Go figure both times it was vs. the Bills and both times it involved Rex Ryan.

which Buf game did Mark throw 50+ times?

I couldn't believe after we had Pitt lose the week before and we beat NE how we could blow that Buf game.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

No, ultimately he won 10 games in a season where most thought the Jets would be sub .500.

Thats how you look at the entire season, not look to blame someone for what the team did in week 17.  Thats for the negative SOJF

who cares about expectations? who cares where we thought we'd be.  we had a golden opportunity and blew it.

There were many great moments but when it came down to the end we blew it and the season was a failure.  It's not like we had some young team learning how to win, we had a team full of vets.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

for all the s--t Jets fans like to talk about Rex, he gets his team prepared for what other cities would consider meaningless games, and he knows the Jets better than Bowles. He owned our asses last year. 

put it another way if Rex was the coach when the team got swept by the bills and missed the playoffs, we'd run him out of town on a rail 

Too bad he couldn't get them prepared for the meaningful games too... *looks at the back-to-back AFCC game trophy case*

Isn't "we were unprepared" about the most cliché thing to say after losing a game as the favorite?

So, isn't this in effect like saying nothing at all?

Or is this more a sign that the Jets just told Colon he's not part of their plans this season?

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Too bad he couldn't get them prepared for the meaningful games too... *looks at the back-to-back AFCC game trophy case*

obviously to get to 2 title games we had to win meaningful games, right?

so Jet fans are ok w/ the coach losing in week 17 to an inferior team to miss the playoffs but bash the coach who had us playing for the right to represent the AFC in the SB TWICE.  Ok.

39 minutes ago, JiF said:

It makes sense because nothing the Jets did that Sunday made any sense.

Stevan Ridley was the game plan for **** sake. 

Seriously, if you were an impartial party, you'd think the Jets were paid to throw the game. But, being a Jets fan you know it's just because: Jets.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

which Buf game did Mark throw 50+ times?

I couldn't believe after we had Pitt lose the week before and we beat NE how we could blow that Buf game.

I exaggerated...it was like 30 times but most of it was in the 2nd half.  He threw 5 picks.  Meanwhile, TJ ran for 210 yards and Washington had 99.  smh  

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Seriously, if you were an impartial party, you'd think the Jets were paid to throw the game. But, being a Jets fan you know it's just because: Jets.

I literally was chanting to myself all day long "please dont be the Jets today, please dont be the Jets today".

Just now, nyjunc said:

obviously to get to 2 title games we had to win meaningful games, right?

so Jet fans are ok w/ the coach losing in week 17 to an inferior team to miss the playoffs but bash the coach who had us playing for the right to represent the AFC in the SB TWICE.  Ok.

I never said I was okay with Bowles losing in week 17.

Criticizing Rex for losing the 2 AFCC games doesn't = praise for Bowles.

Rex gets criticized for putting our team in the toilet after 6 years. The team go worse under him, not better. The AFCC games are just an example of the "master motivator" not getting his team "up" to win games that mattered, which is important in the context of praising him for getting them "up" to win the meaningless games.

You should put me on ignore now.

for all the s--t Jets fans like to talk about Rex, he gets his team prepared for what other cities would consider meaningless games, and he knows the Jets better than Bowles. He owned our asses last year. 

put it another way if Rex was the coach when the team got swept by the bills and missed the playoffs, we'd run him out of town on a rail 

Rex has a lot of practice regarding end of season meaningless games. 

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

who cares about expectations? who cares where we thought we'd be.  we had a golden opportunity and blew it.

There were many great moments but when it came down to the end we blew it and the season was a failure.  It's not like we had some young team learning how to win, we had a team full of vets.

Why cant you just accept that not everyone agrees with you and just move on?

How many times do you want to go back and forth.  I'm looking at the whole season and you want to keep telling me it was a failure because even though we bettered expectations we lost in week 17.  We're done, you made your point, I made mine a few post back.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I never said I was okay with Bowles losing in week 17.

Criticizing Rex for losing the 2 AFCC games doesn't = praise for Bowles.

Rex gets criticized for putting our team in the toilet after 6 years. The team go worse under him, not better. The AFCC games are just an example of the "master motivator" not getting his team "up" to win games that mattered, which is important in the context of praising him for getting them "up" to win the meaningless games.

You should put me on ignore now.

Rex put us in the toilet not the guys picking the players.  Got it.

Why would I put you on ignore? I am not gutless.  Why don't you just stick to the topic instead of trying to make this personal.

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Why cant you just accept that not everyone agrees with you and just move on?

How many times do you want to go back and forth.  I'm looking at the whole season and you want to keep telling me it was a failure because even though we bettered expectations we lost in week 17.  We're done, you made your point, I made mine a few post back.

where have I stated that everyone must agree w/ me?  this is a message board,w e share our opinions.  I see things I disagree with and I comment- what is the issue?

you can think last year was a success.  I disagree, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing.  we had a very talented team that failed in the biggest spot against an inferior team.  That's not a success.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

I exaggerated...it was like 30 times but most of it was in the 2nd half.  He threw 5 picks.  Meanwhile, TJ ran for 210 yards and Washington had 99.  smh  

The game he was a rookie.  I remember that, I don't remember the wind but I remember it was freezing for an October game. 29 attempts in 5 qtrs isn't a crazy amount but his INTs obviously cost us that game.

Then there was that little meaningless game in Pittsburgh that they looked very unprepared for.

Rex screw up there, as Bowles did in week 17

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Then there was that little meaningless game in Pittsburgh that they looked very unprepared for.

Rex screw up there, as Bowles did in week 17

unprepared or spent from the emotional upset the week before?

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

unprepared or spent from the emotional upset the week before?

I have seen may teams recover in the playoffs from upsets and win. It is not impossible.

Rex's continued problem was an emotional roller coaster inability to maintain consistency. Revis admitted that they were unprepared for Pitt.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I have seen may teams recover in the playoffs rom upsets and win. It is not impossible.

Rex's continued problem was an emotional roller coaster inability to maintain consistency. Revis admitted that they were unprepared for Pitt.

I am not saying it was impossible and to me that was as tough a loss as we have ever had in my lifetime.  I think rex did a bad job, I think the team did a bad job but I can't compare that game on the road against an excellent team playing for the SB to losing to an inferior team w/ nothing to play for.  I'd rather get to a title game and lose than not make the playoffs.

as far many teams recovering, how many lost 45-3 a month earlier to their biggest rival then beat them on the road in the div round when no one(not even Jet fans) gave them a chance to beat the SB favorites?

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Rex put us in the toilet not the guys picking the players.  Got it.

Why would I put you on ignore? I am not gutless.  Why don't you just stick to the topic instead of trying to make this personal.

It has been established as fact over the past several years that Rex picked players too. So, the answer is both. Rex put us in the toilet, and so did the guys picking the players - Rex being among them.

If you think asking you to ignore me is "making it personal", then you are in fact gutless.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

It has been established as fact over the past several years that Rex picked players too. So, the answer is both. Rex put us in the toilet, and so did the guys picking the players - Rex being among them.

If you think asking you to ignore me is "making it personal", then you are in fact gutless.

You can never just stick to the discussion.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Emotional readiness is part of preparation.

Ok, I can agree but we lost 45-3 to our biggest rival on the same field a month earlier then beat up the Pats when no one gave us a shot.  That's a pretty unique scenario.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Rex sucks and this is unarguable.

That said, Bowles has no excuse for the travesty of that game.

Firing coaches every 5 years is not a winning formula. It just lowers the fan outrage briefly. I know that's like your favorite thing ever but let's be honest the difference between a Rex and a Bowles isn't as great as people believe.

The elite players dictate the outcomes in these games. not the coaches. "Getting the team prepared" is just some word salad.  unless they are blatantly cheating like Belly (or absolutely incompetent like Rich Kotite, or Chip Kelly running the same play over and over), there's not much that can be done. 

Archived