How many WR1/RB1 years left for Marshall and Forte?

Mike135

Just took a look over at PFT, and two of the more recent stories are about our number 1 WR and RB.  Both about when to retire and how to extend a career.  A bit worrisome.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/05/brandon-marshall-wont-steal-money-late-in-his-career/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/05/matt-forte-hopes-to-turn-back-the-time-by-signing-with-jets/

So how long would you realistically expect either to be able to perform at WR1 and RB1 levels?  It's always possible to stick around as a WR2 or RB2 (seems easier for the WR), but I'm asking how long they can keep it up at a top level.

I'd say Forte has at least two top notch seasons left.  Brandon at least three.  As he mentioned, he's more about size than speed which does tend to age better.

5 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Marshall has another season in him hopefully, I expect forte to have less carries but more of a role in the passing game so I don't think he qualifies as an RB1 right now 

Marshall should have a couple of years left.  He showed zero signs of slowing down and can lose a step and still be a target machine for a few years with his size and skills. 

Forte shouldn't be a rb1 anymore.  At his age he needs to split carries and pick his spots.  With khiry and billal the jets have all you need in a rb committee in today's nfl. 

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Marshall has another season in him hopefully, I expect forte to have less carries but more of a role in the passing game so I don't think he qualifies as an RB1 right now 

Whoa.  I may be way off then.  I see Marshall being able to keep it up for yearS.  The way he takes care of himself and how he mainly relies on size vs speed should definitely extend his career vs speedy/shifty guys.

Forte as far as I know hasn't stopped being an RB1.  Suppose after his injury last season Chicago was interested in playing the younger guy (Langford?), but Forte is still more than capable of shouldering the load at a top level, no?  Of course splitting time with Powell can only help extend his career though.

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Marshall should have a couple of years left.  He showed zero signs of slowing down and can lose a step and still be a target machine for a few years with his size and skills. 

Forte shouldn't be a rb1 anymore.  At his age he needs to split carries and pick his spots.  With khiry and billal the jets have all you need in a rb committee in today's nfl. 

I'm not talking about traditional RB1 who gets 90% of the snaps like AP.  But I think Forte should easily see 60%+ of the snaps for a couple more seasons.  You?

I think Marshall has two years left max, not because he will regress terribly, but because he is so involved as an analyst and he is so great at it, there is no way they would want Marshall only doing one show, when he could do several.

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hell yes sharing the load with Powell and Robinson 

He needs at least one season on Hard Knocks before retirement.

In fact, come to think of it, so does Jessie James Decker.

Better happen soon.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Whoa.  I may be way off then.  I see Marshall being able to keep it up for yearS.  The way he takes care of himself and how he mainly relies on size vs speed should definitely extend his career vs speedy/shifty guys.

Forte as far as I know hasn't stopped being an RB1.  Suppose after his injury last season Chicago was interested in playing the younger guy (Langford?), but Forte is still more than capable of shouldering the load at a top level, no?  Of course splitting time with Powell can only help extend his career though.

I mean it's possible, but WR's on the wrong side of 30 tend to fall off sooner rather than later. andre johnson for example fell off at 33 as did moss, but then you have guys like TO who were productive until 37. hopefully marshall can play for another two years, anything more than that would be exceptional 

16 hours ago, Colgateman said:

I think Marshall has two years left max, not because he will regress terribly, but because he is so involved as an analyst and he is so great at it, there is no way they would want Marshall only doing one show, when he could do several.

I think this is a great point actually.  Physically Marshall may be able to give you 5 more years (not necessarily as a #1 WR but a productive one) but with all the studio work he's done setting up for his second career I can absolutely see him being a guy that retires on the earlier side when he still has something left.  

Archived