Jalin Marshall  ~ ~ ~

kelly

Geno Smith lined up under center with two receivers to his left, and one to his right. He knew what was coming. Then again, the defense was making no attempt to hide it.

In minicamp last week, safety Calvin Pryor sat at linebacker depth with his with his weight distributed forward. He was blitzing.In the slot, Jalin Marshall noticed. On the snap, he ran five yards up, then cut in. Pryor came unblocked and Smith threw it in the dirt.As Marshall trotted back to the sideline, positional coach Karl Dorrell called for him. Ready to give Marshall a licking, Dorrell wanted to know why the wideout ran a slant.

“Coach,” Marshall said, “The safety blitzed. I cut it off.”

Dorrell nodded. Marshall was right

You’d be hard-pressed to find a player that enjoyed a better offseason than New York’s undrafted rookie out of Ohio State. Stashed on the bottom of the Jets’ depth chart, Marshall flashed time and time again during OTAs and minicamp and was starting to see first-team reps by week’s end.There was speed, agility displayed by Marshall that allowed him to separate from defenders. When the ball was thrown his way, he didn’t drop a pass. There was also versatility, as he took reps returning both kicks and punts.

For all intents and purposes, Marshall looked like he belonged. That, believe it or not, may take many by surprise.

During his two-year collegiate career with the Buckeyes, Marshall showed potential to be a dynamic college player but left well before those expectations were met. He caught 76 balls for 976 yards and 11 touchdowns in 27 games, then declared for the NFL draft. The decision surprised many scouts, who didn’t believe he was ready for the professional game.During the pre-draft process, scouts questioned his route-running ability, inconsistent burst and thought his statistics were more a product of scheme than his actual playing ability. Others didn’t think he had the ball skills needed to play at the NFL level, citing “average” hand strength.

Marshall read and heard all of it. He remembered it. Now, he’s focused on proving those doubters wrong.“It just adds fuel to the fire,” Marshall told Jets Wire by his locker last week. “I feel like the sky’s the limit as long as I listen to what the coaches keep telling me.”Had Marshall stayed in school, there’s a very real chance he’d have been a mid-round pick in 2017. His skills would have been given a chance to develop, he would have built upon a solid junior season then entered with his stock at an all-time high. But he didn’t. Now, he’s a roster-bubble player fighting to make the Jets’ final 53.

For many, knowing that would cause regret. Marshall’s a bit different.

Before the draft, Marshall said he made a list of every possible outcome of declaring early. He then took all of the positive ones and threw them out. He wanted to focus on the negative.“I was preparing for the worst, rather than the better,” Marshall said. “I had an idea I wouldn’t be drafted, so I don’t regret anything. I don’t feel bad.“It just motivates me to keep going and prove everyone wrong.”It’s still early, but Marshall looks to be on the fast track to doing that.He’s not only is catching the eye of the media in attendance at Jets practices but also the coaching staff.

Dorrell — the assistant coach Marshall corrected during team drills — has had his eye on the 5-10 pass-catcher for quite some time.“He’s done some really good things,” Dorrell said. “He’s flashed some really good things early on. He’s a fast learner, a dynamic little athlete. He’s someone that’s intriguing for us, and we’re hoping he’s going to be a sparkplug for us in the competition realm once training camp begins.”And until camp comes, Marshall is looking to do all of the right things to stick with the Jets well past August. One of the big reasons he signed with New York was to get the opportunity to learn from the likes of Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

In fact, Marshall has been the two’s shadow. Wherever they go, he follows. He’s asking them questions, picking their brains in hopes of adding a little bit of them, into him.After all, Marshall’s goal isn’t just to flash; he wants to be a regular contributor. And following those two around is his ticket to doing so.“I want them to know that I want to be here,” Marshall said. “You do what someone successful does, and eventually, you become successful yourself.”

>    http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/21/ohio-states-jalin-marshall-making-a-name-for-himself-with-jets/

15 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

So a rookie bottom of the roster we can read a blitz but not the QB in his 4th year.....

O_o

Reading and comprehension is a lost art (for Fitz fans).

Geno Smith lined up under center with two receivers to his left, and one to his right. He knew what was coming. 

27 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Reading and comprehension is a lost art (for Fitz fans).

Geno Smith lined up under center with two receivers to his left, and one to his right. He knew what was coming. 

Or not.   "Pryor came unblocked and Smith threw it in the dirt."

for the tenth time, it's not pro Fitz, it's anti Geno.  

Also it was kind of a joke, that's what the eye balls were for.   Geno fans just can't help them selves.  

15 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Great news.  Geno threw in into the dirt to avoid a sack or an int

Must be what Bowles was referring to when he said Geno was "night and day" vs. last year. :D 

Archived