Still No HOF for Klecko

peekskill68

Just now, Savage69 said:

Even the rest of the sack exchange didn't like him not just the way he left the game..B) Mark was a freak athlete on the field and a real freak off it.. Although he seems to have found peace now that he's older.. 

I know but if he doesn't quit b/c of steroids he's a hall of famer regardless of how his teammates felt about him.

he does appear to be a changed man and the players appear to have made up but who knows?

worse than quitting for me was kissing that fraud strahan after he "broke" his sack record

25 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

And Gastineau was a 3 time 1st Team All Pro and you have a better shot at the HOF then he does..:) 

Gastineau was ENTERTAINMENT, Klecko was a football player. I loved them BOTH. As a kid, Gastineau was more interesting due to his antics - took me a while as a an 8 year old to understand why Gastineau wanted Drago's wife who was Rocky's GF in real life - and thus the entertainment and media darling. 

The NFL only celebrates entertainment nowadays and sadly kicks true old school gridiron warriors like Klecko to the curb like a 2009 drafted #5 overall QB. 

15 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Gastineau was ENTERTAINMENT, Klecko was a football player. I loved them BOTH. As a kid, Gastineau was more interesting due to his antics - took me a while as a an 8 year old to understand why Gastineau wanted Drago's wife who was Rocky's GF in real life - and thus the entertainment and media darling. 

The NFL only celebrates entertainment nowadays and sadly kicks true old school gridiron warriors like Klecko to the curb like a 2009 drafted #5 overall QB. 

Very true and Namath was both..;)

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

One of those in that room every year is Peter King of Sports Illustrated, and he'll be among members of the full committee casting votes on the Class of 2015 on Jan. 31, 2015, the day before Super Bowl XLIX in Phoenix.

"I am an ardent supporter of Joe's candidacy. He belongs in Canton," Peter told me. "Anyone who was as dominant as Klecko was, and a star player at three different positions on the defensive line, should be enshrined."

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangeblogfb/Joe-Klecko-Takes-Aim-at-Hall-of-Fame-Again/5aa49d39-c404-4bf8-a618-d4fe0c55b256

Ha...I guess I need someone else to blame!! Thanks, nyjunc!

i guess I can admit I read MMQB now!

still hate his Brady-love and beli-love though

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I think you are selling Klecko a little short, i think he belongs in the discussion w/ guys like Easley.  Both were excellent players

I want him in the HOF.  I'm merely offering a theory that Gastineau is the issue. 

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I want him in the HOF.  I'm merely offering a theory that Gastineau is the issue. 

SAR I

I think the committee is aware Klecko was all-around dominant. I think they're aware that I'd ANYONE from that line should get in, it's Klecko. 

Ex-Jets star Joe Klecko again misses out on Hall of Fame. Why current rules hurt his chances

klecko
Joe Klecko won't make the Hall of Fame for the Class of 2017. (Courtesy of New York Jets)

On Monday, ex-Jets star defensive lineman Joe Klecko was again denied entrance into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. 

The Hall's lone Seniors Committee nominee for the Class of 2017 was Kenny Easley, the former Seahawks safety. 

Under the Hall's current rules, the Seniors Committee and Contributors Committee (which nominates non-players and non-coaches) work on a rotational basis. One year, one senior and two contributors are nominated (as was the case this year). And the next year, two seniors and one contributor are nominated. 

The two contributors nominations are expected to be announced Tuesday. Like Easley, they are just nominated finalists at this point, not official Hall of Famers. But all three almost certainly will get in. 

The Hall's rotational seniors/contributors rules began in 2015. And they mean fewer players in Klecko's position will have a chance to reach the Hall of Fame, via the Seniors Committee route. The Seniors Committee used to have two nomination spots every year. 

Klecko, 62, played in the NFL from 1977-88 and spent all but that final season with the Jets. He was a two-time first-team All-Pro and four-time Pro Bowler. He wound up with 24 career sacks, but all of those were officially concentrated between 1982 and 1987, because the NFL didn't recognize the sack statistic until 1982. 

One of Klecko's All-Pro years was 1981, when he led the NFL with 20.5 sacks and was named AFC Defensive Player of the Year. During his career, he made the Pro Bowl at three different positions — defensive tackle, nose tackle, and defensive end. He is unquestionably one of the finest Jets players ever. 

But is he a Hall of Famer? 

His eligibility as a modern-era candidate has expired, which is why he must depend on the Seniors Committee. Klecko first became a modern-era candidate in 1994. He became a senior candidate beginning with the Class of 2015Never once, during his time as a modern-era candidate, did he reach the finalist stage. 

Last summer, Klecko took the high road while talking about the Hall of Fame during an interview with NJ Advance Media

"I give it no validity one way or the other," Klecko said. "The guys in the Hall of Fame that I played against know what I did. And that committee is the guys that'll put me on the ballot."

The Hall of Fame will have two senior candidates again for the Class of 2018, as it did for the Class of 2016, when Klecko was passed over in favor of Raiders quarterback Kenny Stabler and Lions and Washington guard Dick Stanfel. 

Archived