Jets 2nd Round Pick Fails

Karam H

7 hours ago, TJ said:

I don't need some dude promoting his website reminding us about draft busts.   Maybe you enjoy that kind of stuff. 

You learn from your mistakes. That's where the silver lining should be. Not making mistakes and then ignoring them. Regardless, we won't have Jet related stories until Sunday, I'm guessing. 

8 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

In fairness to Mac; he has only had 2 picks so far; it is waaaaaaay too early to tell on Hack (as we knew he was going to be raw day 1) and Devin was his pick but with Idzik's scouting team (also a little early, but it doesn't look great).

Maybe we should just trade our #2 pick every year.

I think it's a weak crutch, the stuff about Idzik's scouting team. He was the Texans' lead scout himself the prior year and Smith was not an unknown while he held that job. It's his pick and his alone, for better or worse.

Your last point should seriously be considered, though. Just do it every year for a presumed higher 2 or mid-low #1 the following year. The high 2s we acquire can be used to sneak into round 1 for reasonably cheap enough. The first year we do this it'll be a total loss of a pick (though no great loss in NFL talent for the Jets, as history shows), and from there on we get upgrades from our original pick. 

12 hours ago, Karam H said:

Hey guys, I run an NFL site and have a Jets writer. He's been writing a bit about the team and just recently analyzed the 2nd round picks for the team in recent memory. I post links to those articles here because last time I did, there was really good discussion about Geno vs. Petty. Here is  about the draft history.

I'm all about discussion and love reading what real Jets fans think... If this is something you guys wouldn't want me to do, or if you consider this advertising, please let me know and I'll stop posting. But it's not for more traffic, I don't even get paid for this. I do it out of enjoyment.

Let me know what you guys think.

If you post the article with the link, that is fine. 

Anyone remember the time that some guy came here trying to plug his forum. Then I gave out his URL and like 30 of us signed up there with account names from here? We all took a different username and posted in that style on his site.

He ended up banning us all.

Ironic.

16 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

In fairness to Mac; he has only had 2 picks so far; it is waaaaaaay too early to tell on Hack (as we knew he was going to be raw day 1) and Devin was his pick but with Idzik's scouting team (also a little early, but it doesn't look great).

Maybe we should just trade our #2 pick every year.

Nah, (half tongue in cheek) it looks like the curse is holding to me. :)  Trading our 2 is def the way to go!

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Anyone remember the time that some guy came here trying to plug his forum. Then I gave out his URL and like 30 of us signed up there with account names from here? We all took a different username and posted in that style on his site.

He ended up banning us all.

Ironic.

remember when Teh Falcon basically copied this entire forum and just changed the name? Wait, is that the same time?

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think it's a weak crutch, the stuff about Idzik's scouting team. He was the Texans' lead scout himself the prior year and Smith was not an unknown while he held that job. It's his pick and his alone, for better or worse.

Your last point should seriously be considered, though. Just do it every year for a presumed higher 2 or mid-low #1 the following year. The high 2s we acquire can be used to sneak into round 1 for reasonably cheap enough. The first year we do this it'll be a total loss of a pick (though no great loss in NFL talent for the Jets, as history shows), and from there on we get upgrades from our original pick. 

Wasn't giving him a crutch as much as an asterisk. If you see some of my other posts on the matter, when analyzing Idzik's picks I also point out that he was using Tanny's scouting department his first year.

I do, however, thinks it can make a difference, maybe not so much with the first 2 picks, but the way the team approaches scouting and analysis can clearly effect the outcome. Also, if someone builds a superior scouting department, they are likely to pick better. I think an area where it MAY show up is Mac's second year; now equipped with his own scouting team, he appears to have done better in the lower rounds. Consider the apparent success in the 7th round and with UDFAs. We were very busy (and apparently successful) this year in that area. Maybe this scouting team helped find some diamonds in the rough where the previous regime's scouting department didn't. Or, maybe he trusts his own scouting team more, so he is willing to pull the trigger on outliers. Either way, I think it is an import NOTE when analyzing the drafts.

I dunno, seems like dissing the D Smith pick last year is not all that clear a case.  Did he have a history if injury?  If he was healthy we simply do not know whether he'd be coming close to playing up to his draft status.  And it's too early to tell about Hack.  I can criticize the FO as well as most, I think, but for Macc right now based on those two?  Says here that's a bit harsh.

The 2nd round has not been kind to the Jets since we drafted David Harris.

2nd round QB's (Kellen Clemens & Geno Smith) have not been that productive looking at recent history.

Hackenburg can change all that, we'll just have to wait & see - but based on what we've seen so far, it shouldn't be hard for him to improve next season. The bar was set pretty low this pre-season.

Archived