jets season is over

jets rooter

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

Actually I'm not.

Where's all the talent on this team?

You can just say the team is talented as a way to throw all the blame on the HC as well. It goes both ways.

I think the roster is poorly constructed and a lot of that falls on the HC that requests these players. I also think the effort they give, and the lack of production they put forth is even lower than the talent level.

They don't respect him and this leads to overdoing it on expensive veterans like Fitzpatrick to fill the void left by The Silent One. 

But continue your all-or-nothing exaggeration. It's very compelling.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

I agree with the points mentioned, but that does not mean yesterday that the Jets were coached well.  Let's mention for starters since it's usually an afterthought that the special teams on this team suck.  Last year they were bad, the only major move on the CS was firing the ST coach, and what is the end result?  Worse than ever.  I am not nearly as down on Bowles as some here, but Special teams is a wtf situation.

Not every game is the same, and yesterday I thought the D was better coached as far as X's and O's than the O.  Problems on D were more about lack of discipline and no doubt Wilkerson and Richardson not playing in the first quarter as the fish marched down the field twice.  Yeah the CS can be criticized for that along the lines of "they let that happen," but to me that stuff is more on the players.

But the coaching on O, especially in the second half, was simply inexplicable.  What happened to the running game????  Talk about half time adjustments.  Let me see, Forte had a great first half, so let's not give him the ball anymore.  Possibly this was Gailey's worst half of football all season.

So yes I agree with the bolded part.  But there's an issue with the CS as well.

I'm not saying the Jets were coached well yesterday though. My defense of Bowles is only based on the fact that I don't think I've seen enough from him for me to want him to be fired already. That's all.

I'm not saying he isn't part of the reason we are struggling. What I'm saying is that I want to see if he and Mac can fix things. The Jets will never know what they have if they just fire Bowles or both of them because things are bad in year 2.

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

I think they do . Just for the sake of Conversation, is your problem with Maccags the drafting of Hackenberg  . I get the issues with Bowles I think . 

I've repeatedly listed my problems with him. If you think it starts and ends with just the Hackenberg pick you're not watching.

But back to the OP, yes the season is over.  Looking back it may have even been the first game that set the mold for the season.  Home opener, a team that was a playoff team last year but arguably not one that matches up all that well against the Jets, and was a game that was winnable.  And the Jets lost.

More critical though was probably the Cardinals game.  But whatever your choice, it's over now.  Not much to see other than who steps up and who doesn't.  Hopefully we get to see Petty and Hackenberg.  It's not too much to ask.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think the roster is poorly constructed and a lot of that falls on the HC that requests these players. I also think the effort they give, and the lack of production they put forth is even lower than the talent level.

They don't respect him and this leads to overdoing it on expensive veterans like Fitzpatrick to fill the void left by The Silent One. 

But continue your all-or-nothing exaggeration. It's very compelling.

I haven't made an all or nothing exaggeration so I have no idea what you're even talking about.

I said the team has average at best talent with a poor QB situation. They've beat 3 teams similar to them this year and should have won yesterday against another similar team. They've lost to teams clearly better than they are minus the Dolphins. And they should have beat Cincy. But Cincy is a better team.

They are an average team whose weak at the most important position on the field. It's not a shock that they are 3-6.

This is the least interesting Jets season I can remember. Even in bad years I was enthusiastic to watch the team. But this years team has me disinterested. After the KC game I mentally checked out. I was somewhat interested again when Geno got to start but that quickly went away after he got hurt. And I got my hopes up when Petty got in the game. 

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

I haven't made an all or nothing exaggeration so I have no idea what you're even talking about.

I said the team has average at best talent with a poor QB situation. They've beat 3 teams similar to them this year and should have won yesterday against another similar team. They've lost to teams clearly better than they are minus the Dolphins. And they should have beat Cincy. But Cincy is a better team.

They are an average team whose weak at the most important position on the field. It's not a shock that they are 3-6.

"You can just say the team is talented as a way to throw all the blame on the HC as well."

I have not said the team is so talented. I have not thrown all blame on the HC. These are both all-or-none exaggerations. 

Bowles is not getting even the talent level that they have to show up. Too many players are having career-worst seasons. The minor exceptions are players with whom he does nothing to hone their craft (Enunwa, for example). The ones he really focuses on are the ones whose positions he knows best: the secondary. And they're all having horrible seasons well beneath their talent level.

He's a poor coach and a poor leader.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

"You can just say the team is talented as a way to throw all the blame on the HC as well."

I have not said the team is so talented. I have not thrown all blame on the HC. These are both all-or-none exaggerations. 

Bowles is not getting even the talent level that they have to show up. Too many players are having career-worst seasons. The minor exceptions are players with whom he does nothing to hone their craft (Enunwa, for example). The ones he really focuses on are the ones whose positions he knows best: the secondary. And they're all having horrible seasons well beneath their talent level.

Enunwa? He's taken a big step forward this year though...I don't think he's a good example. He should get Powell involved more, I want to see more of Anderson as well.

I'm not giving an all or nothing exaggeration. It's a combination of players, the HC, the GM. But I'm simply not willing to point to one guy and go "he's the problem, fire him now". I want to see if he can fix this.

Fitz has been up and down his whole career. He was ripe for a season like this unfortunately because he just isn't that good. The Jets did a good job not caving to his demands and locking him up.

20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Whether it made sense at the time or not, the deal with the division of labor coaching this team was set up when Bowles was hired and then going forward hired Gailey to coach the O as a sort of co-head coach, with Bowles focused on the D and in game calls on the sidelines, and apparently no one in charge of special teams.  That being the case I don';t know why it should be expected that Bowles would have much input on the O and on developing players on offense.  Seems to me this is the set up Woody put in motion.

Archived