Bowles on Michael Kay

AFJF

20 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

One of my earliest memories watching a football game was the '85 Bears Super Bowl victory. Since then I've always been fond of them. Maybe I'd become a Bears fan.

However they suck these days too, so I don't know if I'd just be trading one sh!tty team for another.

One thing I could never do is become a Giants fan. I don't mind the team, but I can't stand their fans.  

If not the Bears, then maybe the Steelers. It would be fun to follow a team that actually knows what they're doing for once.

Yup, the '85 '86 and '87 Super Bowls were the stretch of years where I began to really love football. I knew I couldn't root for the Giants, as a fledgling Jet fan copying my low-life uncle's rooting interest, but I did develop a soft spot for the Bears, Redskins and Broncos. All participants except the Patriots, because division rivals to Jets.

I lived in the midwest for a stretch and had a lot of friends who were Colts, Bears, Packers, Broncos and Steelers fans. That would be my spectrum. It would just be casual interest though... it wouldn't be the same. 

When you log this many years rooting for an underdog from "home", you can't just transpose the emotional investment to a new team.

Woody should sell the team, then new owner should bring the Jets back to downstate NY. Make them a team of the people. Instill some national admiration. Win. Stop being a punchline.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I've said this many Sunday nights to my wife... If you were to root for another team, in a circumstance like this, who would it be?

I've thought about this many times...I live in Jax, so naturally I'd be a Jags fan, right?

You think it doesnt get worse than the Jets, are you ******* kidding me?  

The NFL loves my anus and apparently, I enjoy it as well because I keep coming back for more!

18 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I just can't comprehend this....  I wish they hammered him on a followup question asking Bowles "If you think Petty isn't ready and would cause too much pressure on him, do you find this a failure by you and your coaching staff that you couldn't get him ready and wasted a roster spot (carrying 4 QBs) on a player that isn't able to play this year?"

Thanks for the recap though!  Bowles might be the most frustrating coach to question since Eric "consistency" Mangini.

The only thing that makes any sense is that Petty is stinking it up when he gets his reps. If he was killing it in practice Bowles would have no choice but to go with him, but I doubt if that is the case. I don't know if it is the CS's inability to "teach" Petty what he needs to know or if Petty simply isn't a good NFL QB. And for sure Bowles ain't saying.

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

The only thing that makes any sense is that Petty is stinking it up when he gets his reps. If he was killing it in practice Bowles would have no choice but to go with him, but I doubt if that is the case. I don't know if it is the CS's inability to "teach" Petty what he needs to know or if Petty simply isn't a good NFL QB. And for sure Bowles ain't saying.

I really think that the Jets, whatever their reasons are, don't think Petty is a big part of the future. That said, I think they are giving Hack another couple of weeks, and he will get 3-4 starts at the end of the season. What else could it be?

Just now, Ex-Rex said:

What's amazing to me is the whole keeping 4 QBs on the roster thing. If Bowles was never going to let Petty get a shot, then why not put him on IR and free up the roster spot aftr he hurt his shoulder in pre-season? I mean, talk about mismanagement of roster. 4 ******* QBs and we continue to turn to the worst QB in the NFL?

I've mentioned this before, about a bit of passive-aggressive posturing between Bowles and MacCagnan. Perhaps it was Mac's call to keep 4 QBs, and Bowles is not being a puss-wad about it and refusing to use any other than Fitz.

I refuse to believe this is just about Fitz being better. Inexperiences QBs are starting across the league and doing more than him. This has to be agenda-driven.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Why are you in such denial?  I told you week 1 at the tailgate, this is my biggest fear and it's quickly becoming reality.

This Head Coach is tying his career to Ryan Fitzpatrick.  

And if he cant handle starting, then WTF is Petty doing on this team?  Unreal.  He played fine in his first ever action vs. a damn good D.  Walked away with all his limbs.  It was amazing!!!

LOL...dude, it is not happening unless it's as a back-up...and I even doubt that.  

25 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

It will be really interesting to see who the starting QB is for the Jets in 2017. My guess is it's someone not even on the roster at this point.

I sure hope so.  Bowles' actions tell us right now that Petty and Hack aren't NFL caliber QB's.  

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I sure hope so.  Bowles' actions tell us right now that Petty and Hack aren't NFL caliber QB's.  

Bowles actions don't tell us anything other than that he doesn't bend to the whim of fans/media. Even if, on rare occasion, fans/media and "good decisions" might correlate.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Bowles actions don't tell us anything other than that he doesn't bend to the whim of fans/media. Even if, on rare occasion, fans/media and "good decisions" might correlate.

That is the one part of Bowles I think is great, the worst thing a coach or exec can do is make moves based on the fans and media.

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If he thinks either of the QB's are good enough to play, and he's not playing them, he either fears for his job, or he makes Rex look like Vince Lombardi.

10 minutes ago, AFJF said:

If he thinks either of the QB's are good enough to play, and he's not playing them, he either fears for his job, or he makes Rex look like Vince Lombardi.

The other option is that he subscribes to the same philosophy as Arians, defer to the veterans, even if the young guys have WAY more talent. Look at Arians last year, he refused to let David Johnson on the field most of the season. It wasn't until Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington got hurt that he played DJ. Arians has done this in varying degrees in PIT, IND and ARI. 

Whatever the case may be... nothing about what's going on is good. There's no silver lining to this mess.

EDIT: Another example of this was dropping Troymaine Pope for CJ Spiller. Spiller's career is over. We are not a playoff contender, and weren't at the time we added him, and really didn't need a broken-down veteran as our #3 RB. Pope was a "liked" player by the Seahawks. He represented a chance to grown our own talent here, and could immediately contribute on special teams. Does Spiller play specials? What's the point of having a veteran #3 RB other than if you're a coach that just doesn't trust young players?

Leonward Williams is the most talented player on this roster. He had a hard time getting on the field last year, because he was being "brought along slow". There's a time to protect young players from being over-exposed and a time not to. Bowles doesn't seem to be averse to youth as part of a mindset of protecting them though. It seems to be more about trust and opting for known variables, even if it lowers the ceiling on potential. 

This conservative mindset can be successful, to an extent. Look at Andy Reid. Being this risk averse is never going to win it all though.

On 11/29/2016 at 10:48 AM, Ex-Rex said:

I mean he played a very good defense when he started.  Albeit it wasn't the stellar start everyone wanted, but he held his own I think.  This wasn't like a Geno Smith vs Buffalo stinker that makes you question being able to hang at the pro level.  He was very cautious but mentally looked where I would expect him.  

I have a feeling its purely based on avoiding the Pats and avoiding primetime.  I'd be shocked if Petty isn't back in in 2 weeks at the starter.  If he isnt then I fully expect you are correct and we will just go directly to Hack in week 17.

Archived